Should the Boy Scouts of America allow gay members?

• A boy is a boy

There is no reason against it, a gay boy is just like any other boy. He can be interested in all that boy scouts do and so why should he not be given the right to join? The word 'boy' suggest that it's about gender, not sexuality. It's not 'Heterosexual Scouts'.

Posted by: ddee
  • Homosexuals should be allowed to participate in whatever organization they wish to be in.

Who the hell are you to tell someone they can't join your club because of their sexual preferences? Quit judging people and let them participate. The boy scouts are setting a very bad example for the children. No one has the right to discriminate against homosexuals. Homosexuals are people too, except it and grow up.

• An organization like the Boy Scouts shouldn't discriminate.

There is not some quality that makes boys suitable for the Boy Scouts that gay boys lack. NOBODY should be deprived of valuable childhood experiences because of things they can't control. The squeamishness from some social conservatives about the proposed change is simply an expression of the stereotype that LGBT people are somehow more lustful or perverted or dirty, applied to CHILDREN. There is no difference between a gay boy and a straight boy, besides the genders they prefer if they're old enough to be thinking about that yet. They feel all the same emotions. And to those talking about Boy Scouts of America's freedom being infringed: The debate is over whether it's right for them to allow gay members. Not whether the government should force them to allow gay members.

• Okay seriously?

I understand that the boyscouts try to teach boys morals and stuff, but what tells them the a homosexual boy is incapable of learning these lessons? they have no viablen evidence that states that a homosexual child is any different from a strait child other than his sexual preferences, whic do not effect his abilities to learn.

• I myself am not Christian

I am not religious but according to Christian text, all men are created equal (Galatians 3:28). So what if a homosexual man were to want to join the Boy Scouts, but he is rejected because of sexuality? How is this fair? This puts much hatred towards homosexual people and ensures that our younger generation does not accept our gay people. After all, homosexuality is not a choice, you are born that way. If a 12-year old can understand this why can't some adults understand as well?

• We are people too

What is wrong with gays exactly? Why should we not be allowed in the Boy Scouts? We are as much people as heterosexual people, with a small difference. Really, one day people will look back and think, "Why did we ever debate that silly issue?" This debate is the same as the civil rights debate of the 20th century.

• Uh... YES! This is discrimination.

If the Boy Scouts of America came out and said "Black people aren't as good as white people so they can no longer join the BSA," there would be an uproar and they would be boycotted so hard. Why isn't that happening with the homosexuals?! Not letting them join is a form of discrimination because being gay IS NOT a choice.

• Yes, I grew up a Scout

My dad is a Boy Scout Camp Director, so I grew up living the life or a scout. I volunteered with the staff until I was old enough to become a staff member myself and I have done this for nearly 20 years. I'm a girl. I do the same things the boys do. If the boys and adults can accept me into their "boys only world" then why can we not except gays into "our world" as well? At my own camp I have seen staff members lose their jobs and be booted from the program. I saw these leaders being treated unjustly because of their sexual orientation. These men have earned the right to Eagle, and to see that right removed, it's a disgrace to the Boy Scouting ways. These scouts that have been removed from the program were some of the most amazing people I have ever met. They always have been and will remain to be even under The Scout Oath and Scout Law.

• Sorry anti-gays

I am a 15 year old Boy Scout, and we had a discussion between many troops where no adult was included. We came to the conclusion that we should allow gays. Most youth support gays even if their parents don't, and we have decided to stand up for them. If your are an adult and don't support gays too bad. We say they're allowed. In 20-50 years when your generation has passed WE will be here. Gays will be accepted and who knows it might be your grandchildren.

Posted by: MLKJ
  • Sad

Scouting is a youth organization and as such should move with the times. I find it sad to see that the american branch of the scouting has become so religious. Luckily in most countries scouting is not about religion but about equality and accepting people the way they are. The Boy Scouts of America give the international scouting organization a bad name.

• No it is unfair to the heterosexual children.

People really don't think outside the box do they. This isn't a typical, "Do you agree with gay rights debate." This is much more complicated. Equal rights is all well in good but what about the straight kids? Which no matter how you put it will always outweigh the number of gays. How are young children going to like a boy that may possibly be ATTRACTED to them going on hikes and recreational activities with them? It isn't just about the 1 gay boy that wants to join. It's about the comfort of the whole unit. And 1 gay person could very well disrupt that.

• No

They'll force removal of God, and morally straight from the oath, and reverant from the law. BSA typically teaches God as a big part of life of a scout. God and gays can't seem to coexist.

• no they should not

It is called tradition. The Boy Scouts of America are here to produce this country's next generation of male leaders. Traditionally male leaders marry women and have this countries next generation of leader children. If you start allowing gay scout leaders then no parent of a potential heterosexual male will allow their child to join. I say potential because kids do not really know what sexuality is when they join. Girls still have cuddies if you grew up in the 90's. We as Americans always have options and this is what makes us Americans. We can always start something new aside from the boy scouts. So why kill an organization that already works for this country? You would need to be naive to think this would not kill this organization or would not cause lesser of male leaders to come out of this organization. Some things were meant to be sacred. Leave this organization alone. they are not bothering anyone. Whether you are gay or straight, you need to learn sooner or later that not every door is going to be open for you in life. I was a boy scout and I was/am straight. I sucked at it, hated it, and I left after one year. It was not fun for me. I wanted to play sports instead. That was my path and I had many other options. This country cannot continue to dilute every organization it can think of. Leave these poor kids alone. It was not an outlet for me but it definitely is for many. If you are gay you have many options. Stop trying to ruin something that is good. You have already succeeded at keeping American babies from being born by ruining the idea of traditional family. Look at the birth rates for non immigrant Americans within the last 2 to 3 generations that are non Hispanic. Wait until Hispanics take over. You gays are not going to have a voice in anything. So you better start appreciating what you have. Bite me.

• No, keep it the way it was.

This is a quote from Wikipedia talking about why it was founded:
    The progressive movement in the United States was at its height during the early 20th century. "With the migration of families from farms to cities, there were concerns among some people that young men were no longer learning patriotism and individualism."
    This organization was created so that people could be traditional Americans, and that's how it still is. I have no prejudice against gays on a personal level, but when it comes to big questions like this, we have to look at the big picture. To make social strides is not the intention of this organization, it's to encourage traditionalism and religion and to make a man out of a boy. They are a privately run organization, and nobody has a say into how they should choose members. I have amazing gay and bi-sexual friends who are a huge part of my life, but just because they are doesn't mean I want them to be in the boy or girl scouts. It was an organization created on strong tradition, so I ask Liberals and Democrats to stop trying to fix or change something that is not broken.

• Boy Scouts of America et al. v. Dale was a case of the Supreme Court of the USA decided on June 28, 2000

The Boys Scouts, like all private clubs, institutions, and organizations, can have rules that prohibit gays because they believe being gay is immoral based on the Bible and God's teachings or for whatever beliefs they hold. This has already been decided by the Supreme Court in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale.

“Boy Scouts of America v. Dale, 530 U.S. 640, was a case of the Supreme Court of the United States decided on June 28, 2000, that held that the constitutional right to freedom of association allows a private organization like the Boy Scouts of America to exclude a person from membership when "the presence of that person affects in a significant way the group's ability to advocate public or private viewpoints." In a five to four decision, the Supreme Court ruled that opposition to homosexuality is part of BSA's "expressive message" and that allowing homosexuals as adult leaders would interfere with that message. It reversed a decision of the New Jersey Supreme Court that had determined that New Jersey's public accommodations law required the BSA to readmit assistant Scoutmaster James Dale, who had made his homosexuality public and whom the BSA had expelled from the organization.”

“The Boy Scouts of America is a private, non-profit organization engaged in instilling its system of values in young people. It asserts that homosexuality is inconsistent with those values.”

Let’s look at the Boy Scout’s Oath:

“On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to God and my country. To help other people at all times, to obey the Scout Law, and to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.”

Then, let’s look at the Boy Scout’s Law:

“A Scout is: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave Clean, and Reverent.”

Then let’s look at the Boy Scout’s Handbook that defines Reverent: “A Scout is Reverent. - A Scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.”

The God part and Reverent are where homosexuals and bisexuals don’t qualify.

The Bible, which was written by God through men, clearly state the gays are sinners and an abomination to the Lord. So the Boy Scouts are being reverent toward God.

Leviticus 18:22
    "Do not practice homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman. It is a detestable sin." (NLT)

I guess we need to figure out why gay men want to be Boy Scout Leaders, if Gays know they are breaking the Boy Scouts oath, what possible reasons could they have?

One of their biggest reasons is too destroy another American Institution, like Marriage, so they can feel like they are normal; but, they are not normal..

So, we are left with the only reason gay men want to be Scout Leaders is because they like being around young men for sexual pleasure and the hope that they can convince young boys to become homosexuals like them; abominations to God!

• No gays in scouts. It goes against everything scouts stands for

I am a venture scout and the ideals and foundation of scouts is based on what is right. In the scout oath it says "On my honor I will do my best
    To do my duty to God and my country
    and to obey the Scout Law;
    To help other people at all times;
    To keep myself physically strong,
    mentally awake, and morally straight."
    Allowing gays would be going against everything scouts stands for. MORALLY STRAIGHT is the key phrase and duty to God.

• Absolutely NOT!

BSA as stated before was built on Christian values just as this nation was. Unfortunately, the BSA is just going along with the rest of the weak Christians and caving in to the growing immoral efforts of this declining nation. All I have to say is that the USA better wake up or the Lord God Almighty is going to do it for us.

• No, it is immoral.

First of all, boy scouts was founded on morals and values. I'm a Christian and the Bible clearly states that God calls that an abomination and what did he do to Sodom and Gamora. Is nothing sacred anymore? We have to respect them but where is the respect for Christian morality and God? Boys scouts is considered a safe haven for kids, why pollute it?

• It is dangerous.

In an organization like this, where the people need teamwork and live close to each other, allowing gay members would disrupt the members of the boys scout. Some rape cases or even murder cases of gays and non-gays in school is proof. This "abnormality" would shake the teamwork that the boy scouts hold onto, and safety of the boy scouts would be demolished.

• Why would you force yourself where you're not wanted?

Should the KKK accept black members? Another confusion of liberty and license. Just because you want something, doesn't make it yours. Would you want to force your way into an orginization that's openly condeming you?

That's like an atheist demanding a marriage ceremony in a Muslim mosque. It just doesn't make sense to me.

GWL-CPA says2013-09-22T20:35:43.387
Why are we still debating this issue.

Effective January 1, 2014, gay children can join the Boy Scouts.

(CNN) -- Openly gay youths will be allowed to join scouting, a historic decision the Boy Scouts of America says will keep it unclouded by "a single, divisive, and unresolved societal issue."
More than 60% of the group's 1,400-member national council voted Thursday at an annual meeting in Grapevine, Texas, for the change, which takes effect Jan. 1.
"No youth may be denied membership in the Boy Scouts of America on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone," says the resolution.
The BSA, however, will maintain its ban on gay adult leaders.

The resolution also reinforces that Scouting is a youth program, and any sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, by youth of Scouting age is contrary to the virtues of Scouting," the 103-year-old organization said in a statement after the vote.
The BSA said there are no plans for further review of the issue.
BSA President Wayne Perry said the vote came after "an extensive dialogue within the scouting family (that) was exhaustive and ... Very respectful."
"No matter how you feel about this issue, kids are better off in scouting," Perry told reporters. "Our mission is to serve every kid."

corky5678 says2014-04-26T07:47:31.880
Before 1978, the Boy Scouts had no policy against gays. In a March 1978 memo addressed only to executive-committee members, the BSA's president, Downing R. Jenks, and its chief Scout executive, Harvey Price, said no person who openly declares himself to be a homosexual could be a volunteer, a member or an employee of the Boy Scouts of America. The memo states explicitly that the policy was addressing "sexual preference" and not "sexual deviance or criminal sexual misconduct," an admission that it was explicitly directed against a class of people and not against persons engaged in improper behavior.