Should the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) be abolished?

Asked by: Fanny
  • COPPA crushes dreams

Come on! I've just been banned from DeviantART due to being underage, but everyone I know is mature and responsible enough to handle the mature content on there. I mean, I'm not waiting 2 years. I only joined DeviantART because I wanted to fulfil my dream of making everyone happy. The video game series The Legend of Zelda has done that for me and helped many people I've met on DA, so I decided, 'Hey let's get a little popular on here so I can learn how to program'. But then what did DA do? Ban me. I want to be a CEO of a video game company when I'm 13, not still trying the first step. Children are more responsible than people think they are. The problem is that when people get older, they start to forget what it was like being, say, 10-13. Then they think, 'People under 13 are stupid and irresponsible. They shouldn't be allowed to see ___.' I mean, come on! We already know about 'it' and we're actually really intelligent.

If you still don't believe me, check this. http://deltik.deviantart.com/art/COPPA-Bad-For-Kids-182335833.

• COPPA doesn't get more pointless than this.

This law does absolutley nothing to protect the children of the internet. In fact, it does the reverse. It makes things worse. This law has caused so many children to lie about their age, it's ridicolous. Instead of kids putting in their real ages and recieving restrictions, they just can't enter at all or they have to go through a parental consent process that takes longer than TRYING TO GO 3 MILES RIDING ON A TURTLE. Like come on, it can't get anymore pointless.

• COPPA is making the internet more dangerous for children under 13.

Lets pretend COPPA never existed. A hypothetical chat room called ChatNow allows people to enter their age. If a person enters a number under 13, website moderators monitor chat activity. Because COPPA exists, the children lie about their age to avoid getting parental consent, resulting in the website moderators not monitoring and their chat activity and filter out inappropriate messages, putting children in danger.

1. Since many websites forbid children under 13 altogether from joining, many children lie about their age. If websites were allowed to collect information about children under 13, they can enhance protection and provide age appropriate activities. With COPPA, children just lie about their age and activities offered to an older age group may be less appropriate for children.
    2. Even if the website does allow for parents to consent to collect information about children under 13, some children will not bother to ask their parents or are too impatient to wait for consent to be verified so they just go ahead and lie about their age.
    3. Because many websites forbid children under 13 altogether, fewer websites offering kids a rich, engaging, and age-appropriate online experience. As a result, children move onto online activities less appropriate for children.
    4. Privacy has been reduced (rather than enhanced) due to the amount of personal information required for parents to submit for "verifiable consent".
    5. The parental consent process is easy for kids to circumvent, and some kids have already circumvented the parental consent process.
    7. Some parents encourage children to falsify their age to join a website and help them get on Facebook, which is parental consent itself.

• COPPA hasn't really helped protect information from children.

COPPA increased the amount of children lying about their age! This gives them access to material that isn't child appropriate. If instead the site offers "restrictions" to children under 13, this may work better. For children able to go to grade school, there should be some online safety unit for a few weeks, raising awareness of bad people, instead of placing trust into people who may pretend to be one they aren't. Seriously, many schools don't offer this education until junior high school.

A frequent argument I often come across is how COPPA "attacks a child's right to speak." Within reason, I see how this is so. What if a child wants to share a thought to the world, or show their talents of writing or arts, and looks for critique/support, but since the fellow peers in their school and the parents don't share the same talents, s/he has no one to get opinions from.

How a child uses the internet isn't the government's problem, it is the responsibility of a GOOD parent. While it is unfortunate that not every parent will do this, I think it is ridiculous that the government starts barging in and blocks children from using a good amount of websites. What if the child is allowed to use a website ONLY for contact with people they know? Nope too bad. COPPA is there. If a really GOOD parent actually knows their child, and has a strong bond, knows in their heart that their child will act appropriately? Sorry, COPPA doesn't care. It is said that "with parent's consent, children may use the website after a form is filled and mailed/faxed," but as far as I am concerned, not many domains follow that.

COPPA is now useless with the amount of children lying about their age.

• It would be better if the parents would check history, spelling, etc.

As said before, parental guidance would be helpful for the child. Many should have parental supervision, to stay away from sexual predators and porn-related websites. However, if the child goes on a kids game wikipedia such as the Animal Jam Wiki, then they shall have rights to be allowed. As along as they are mature and trustworthy. If not parents should be notified by Via Email from Wiki Community.

• Stupid and pointless

It is stupid and pointless waste of time and government resources. Waste of tax payers hard earned cash. The internet is supposed to be a place where people can connect and learn regardless of race, creed, age, or colour.

In some ways the internet is like fire, If people can't use it properly (using common sense) there will be consequences and people must accept them.

Banning people under 13 from signing up for sites like Yahoo awnsers, Wikia, and others is like banning children from classrooms.

Article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states everyone has the right learn. Lets keep it this way!

• Stupid and pointless

• This is a GOOD parent's job, not the governments.

This law is making the internet not as safe for children. Most children I have seen have lied about their age, and honestly, I think if a child's 12, and their parents agree they are mature enough, they should go for it. Email is an important part of life for any child, and learning about internet safety at a young age is great. Some parents are okay with their children breaking this law because they feel as if their child is mature enough to handle the internet, and they trust them enough. The internet is a big part in our future, and children have a right to be a part of it. I hope this law is abolished, because it is not doing anything, and only holding children back, from changing the world.

• It is practically purposeless at this point.

I've noticed that many children under 13 lie about their age to gain access to websites intended for ages 13 and older. When children can circumvent COPPA extremely easily just by lying about their age, COPPA becomes practically purposeless.

I believe COPPA doesn't do much now that so many children under 13 lie about their age.

• Roblox Whitelist Rules

Roblox. Why? Why didn't you just blacklist bad words? Why will strangers go play roblox if they know that kids might lie to them? Do you even have common sense? This PRIVACY MODE THING is stupid.
    Remove it. COPPA must be destroyed. I live in Japan! There's no COPPA there! U.S.A. is so stupid!

• There is no reason for under 13 to be on Facebook. Let kids be kids.

99% of 12 year olds posts they will regret within 6 months. It would be better if they kept their immature stupidity out of the internet where future employers will look at everything. Yes it is the parents' responsibility to protect them but what do we do if the parents don't when something can affect their safety and their future. Not many adults can handle social networking sites.

• The law is limiting educational opportunities and free speech on the internet.

Because of the amount of paperwork involved, many websites ban children under 13 altogether. This limits the educational opportunities and participation in free speech and online discussions. Also, if parents don't want their child giving out personal information, they would monitor their child's web activity or install parental controls. If a child is using a particular website, that means the parents are OK with it. If a child uses the internet at a friend's house, it's up to the parent to tell the other parents what their child is and isn't allowed to do. If a child is being sneaky and borrowing their friends' cell phones at school, parents can punish their child how they see fit. That is a parenting, and not a government problem.