Should the criminal justice system focus more on rehabilitation than retribution?

• Rehabilitation or retribution

My husband was arrested for a DUI in 2005. He was on probation for another DUI when it happened. He was incarcerated for 3 yrs. Which turned the lives of his wife and children completely upside down. While he was in prison, he became addicted to heroine which is easily obtained in the prison. He came out worse than he was when he went in. Now he is incarcerated again on a different drug offense. We finally divorced this year in January 2013. We had a great marriage and he was a wonderful man until he went to prison and became hooked on the drugs. If he had been sent to a rehabilitation facility where they focus on alcoholism instead of a prison where inmates can readily get drugs, this may have changed this family of four which is now a family of three. My now x-husband suffered but so did his wife and three children. It is 8 years later and we still haven't put the pieces of our lives together. We lost our home, the rest of his family disowned not only him but our whole family. It hurts me so much but what's worse is how it hurts my children! They were so innocent, ages 3, 10, & 12 which makes this such a tragedy! I strongly hope this will be taken into consideration when deciding on sentences for alcohol and drug offenders. They need rehabilitation, not prison! If he would have had that, we would probably all be the family we were.

• The criminal justice system should put more focus on rehabilitation than retribution.

Time and time again, logic and statistics prove rehabilitation to be more effective than retribution. Take Norway, for example. They value rehabilitation very highly, have abolished the death penalty, and have stopped sentencing criminals to life in prison. Now, while some may let their emotions get in the way and complain about murderers freely walking the streets, let's take a look at Norway's impressive track record. Only a 20% recidivism rate, compared to the 65% US rate, some of the lowest murder records in the world, and reasonably low prison populations. Rehabilitation is a system that works, whether we like it or not.

• They are people.

Criminals are people too. They deserve a second chance, but only if they admit they messed up, and are ready to go into the world again. A life sentence is wrong on every level, unless they deserve it then they shouldn't be in there for long. Give them a chance.

• We need to provide mandatory rehabilitation facilities. Imprison the serious violent offenders such as rapists, murderers, pedophiles and rehabilitate the drug offenders.

Our Justice System is failing and not doing enough to rehabilitate, basically causing the issue of repeat offenders. We have a society that is suffering from lack of parental supervision, poverty, low-education, and gang related communities. Many of today's generation has no moral education which results in delinquency then turns into an adult-repeat offender because they do not know any different way to live. We need to stop throwing the key away and start developing rehabilitation units that are mandatory and provide many beneficial programs to help teach these "lost offenders" how to depend on themselves and not the system or the criminal life of an offender.

• Another wrong does not make a right

I am not religious but i think the old xtian proverb "if not for the grace of god there go I...". What that means in secular terms is that if any of us were in a desperate situation we may be compelled to do a criminal act.
    Yes violent offenders should be segregated from society for public safety. But even violent criminals can be rehabilitated. The US is in the minority in the world justice systems that has long sentences for non violent crime, life imprisonment or death for violence that ends anothers life. Murder is a horrible thing. However in prison systems that concentrate on rehabilitation and do not have solitary confinement, there is a lower recidivism rate. Personally, god forbid, if I had to stay in an american prison for even just ten years I'd rather be given my last meal, cigarette, my last words, and be put in front of firing squad.

Dahszil
    male
    usa

• Yes but we have to change the name from Justice to something that doesn't also provide a from of retribution to the victims.

One of the core definitions of justice is the proportionate form of punishment in relation to the crime. Punishment does have value as a deterrent to most but there are issues that can cause the reduction in influence of the deterrent.
    There should be a form of rehabilitation but we should be careful not to presupposes that all errant behavior has an treatable origin. There is no evidence that I am aware of to support that all errant behavior is derived from an errant source and if there were, would we not try to treat the errant person before a violation and in doing so, would we then be infringing on an individuals right to privacy?

• A Life Lesson

Instead of sitting around, they would be taught something they could take out to the real world and be a productive part in society. Sure there should be some retribution, they did something wrong, but being spoiled with a place to sleep and three meals a day will do minimal.

• You lose hope.

Hope is motivation. It gives us strive to move forward and succeed, to reach for our dreams and aspirations. When an individual goes to jail for the first time, largely they lose a great deal of this valuable commodity. For example, imagine an 18 or 19 year old kid, smart, a life full of opportunity, in his freshman year of an elite college, running a full scholarship, avidly volunteering 20 hours a week a clinic and food bank for the impovershed. But, he has been caught up in the wrong side of the law; he smokes marijuana. After an exam at 10 pm, this kid comes home to cops searching his dorm drawers and clothes strewn about, immediately put under arrest. They have found a pill of adderal and some paraphanelia along with marijuana. Now he goes to jail, never been in trouble his whole life. What happens now? He goes to jail. As he takes his mugshots, the consequences hit him. He is confused, dazed; this is going to be on his record. He will lose his scholarship. There may be academic probation. He loses the motivation he had pushing him to work as hard as he has. When he comes out in the morning, having slept on cold tiles surrounded by an unfamiliar and terrifying environment, he does not care for anything anymore. How can I be a doctor, how can i hope to pursue my dreams? Who would hire me? I dont have a scholarship, even a part time job will be hard to find to pay my tuition. No longer caring, he considers dropping out. He decided there's no reason to stop smoking, he has no deterrent, it's already on his record so it doesn't matter. He can't even continue the volunteering he loves at the hospital, they release him. What has the system done to this boy, is there even a point in holding his dreams anymore? He hasn't learned a lesson, a lesson would be pointless. The retribution has convinced him of that. Maybe if the system was more rehabilitative, it could have helped him. I wonder he would do.. Well for now, he's writing this post. But what of the thousands of others just like him?

• Silence is not the answer

Yes they need to focus more on rehabilitation as that is the only sane way of addressing the issue at hand. Often retribution leads to greater offence and does not help anyone. Locking someone up in a cell will not change a person for the better. Addressing their issue and considering the various reasons as to why they committed an offence may be a great way into recovery.

• Rehabilitation Is Motivation

I believe that rehabilitation should be offered and depend on the severity of the crime committed. Many individuals who are in prison for many years do not want to be there anymore and programs to help them succeed as a fellow citizen out in the public will and have motivated inmates to not want to re-offend. Being in prison a long time can have an affect on an individual, whether positive or negative, but from personal experience of a family member being incarcerated for 10-15 years and seeing them regain strength in society opened my eyes that not everyone who has committed a violent crime should be put to death or serve unusually long sentences like life in prison. I'm not saying that rehabilitation works for everyone, but it is in my eyes definitely more humane, then just letting someone rot in prison, especially for a petty crime. Rehabilitation programs offer the guidance and a responsibility to themselves that individual may not of been able to learn from anywhere else and it just might be what that person needed to jump start their lives. I've seen many people who had a prison life at one time who are successful individuals today, and with experiences like they've had, it gives them more of a positive influence if they choose to work with troubled individuals themselves because they've been there. People like that are the best example that it is indeed possible to turn your life around for the positive, some just need that extra push.

• definition of criminal justice system

criminal justice system: a series of organizations involved in apprehending, prosecuting, defending, sentencing, and jailing those involved in crimes - including law enforcement, attorneys, judges, courts of law, prisons"
    nowhere in this definition does it give the criminal justice system the choice of sending people to a rehabilitation center so if they dont have the choice than rehabilitation shouldnt be used

also i have proof that rehabilitation doesnt work but is just a way for the U.S. to spend more money

• You should punish criminals

I believe that criminals should be punished, because of their fragile mental state they need to be kept under control. I agree with the point saying that if the government pushed rehabilitation over correction potential criminals might think that acting violently is okay. Mass murders destroy the life of a lot of people with little to no sympathy, that is not right.

• Once a criminal, always a criminal.

My younger was molested by our grandfather who swore he would kill her if she said anything. Well she did say something and did he go to jail? NO! The court declared him mentally ill and sent him to a hospital. He was in the hospital for about 4 months when he was finally released. He found my sister when he got out......
    If he would have been imprisoned like the rapist he was, my sister would still be alive.

• Crime Gene

What about people who have the crime gene. Let's face it...it exists. There are criminals out there and maybe they come from a line of criminals. If they have this crime gene in them, which most of them probably do. then there is no way to rehabilitate them. It's in their genes. The only way to get rid of it is to breed it out of them. And that's just wrong.

• No

The criminal justice system should not focus more on rehabilitation than retribution. This is because some people do not deserve to be released into society. Why give murders a second chance to kill? Why give rapist a second chance ruin live? If the criminal justice system focuses more on rehabilitation we will be giving criminals a second chance at negatively affecting our society. I rather pay a few more taxes and live safely than have a couple extra bucks and be scared to leave my home.

• i think we should make them pay for every wrong doing they commit

When you kill someone you don't put them in a hospital and let them go. You put them in a jail hospital. You would not help them get back to killing service you would punish them in jail where they would hopefully rot for life. that way you wouldn't have to worry about those criminals ever again.

• I think That repeat offenders deserve retribution over rehibilitatation

i do believe that every criminal deserves a second chance. although, repeat offenders should serve a longer/stricter punishment. if we value rehibilitation over retribution with everyone, will we have more repeat offenders? more than likely yes, because prison wont be as strict as it is with retribution over rehibilitation.

• We need to abolish the criminal justice system.

The criminal justice system is broken beyond all repair. Neither rehabilitation nor retribution actually works. Retribution just releases jail hardened criminals who are still criminals and will commit crime again back into society, and deprives them entirely of their rights by locking them up against their will in prison, and rehabilitation simply doesn't work. Because the justice system hurts everyone involved, it needs to be abolished.

• Equal Stance on both

If people can be rehabilitated, great for them. Reahabilitate and then free them. However, a lot of criminals can't be rehabilitated. if they can't, them punish them. when the judge gives a sentence, that is a punishment. That is retributive justice. Retributive justice is a theory of justice that considers that punishment, if proportionate, is a morally acceptable response to crime. Give them justice like we're supposed to. Don't give murderers a second chance at more killing. only rehabiliteate if you can and when possible.

• Because majority of the time, rehabilitation doesn't work

I believe that it just does not work, and that serious offenders should have punished for what they have done, they do not deserve to be rehabilitated if it is not going to work for the offender. It will waste tax payers money on something that the community does not want to spend it on

Anonymous says2013-03-30T16:55:21.350
I think that we shouldn't make rehabilitaion more important thab retribution. They deserve to be punished because they knew what they did was wrong
Rayze says2013-04-06T18:37:49.577
Retribution does not exist in the criminal justice system. What does exist in a criminal justice system is punishment, and using the term retribution for the word punishment is a perversion of the definition of retribution. Even the etymology the latin word "retribuo" I pay you back is different than punishment.