Should the dead language (Latin) be taught in schools if no one speaks it anymore?

Asked by: zz71
  • Can be fun and can make it easier to learn other languages.

50% of English words, their stems that is, derive from Latin. However Latin is not only the ancestor of English but even more so, you could say, the Romance languages such as Spanish and French. Even if you might say that Latin is a dead language, it is around you in many different forms such as, football club's and school's mottos. For those who like the gossip among the more famous people, David Beckham has more than one, I can safely say, Latin tattoos.
    Also, it makes you take more care when learning languages that you are forced to learn such as French. It can even make you learn them- French etc. - better (excuse my English!) Language skills also make you more employable and however dead you think Latin is, 'tis still a language. Top universities regard scholars very highly and subjects such as law and sciences take the skill of Latin very seriously. Yes outweighs no so this is why I am writing in this side for YES! Go and have some fun. The demand for Latin teachers now outstrips the amount of teachers that exist. Can you change that?
    Euntes autem discite Latin! (Excuse the awfully untrustworthy google translate- all rights reserved)

• Of course it should, but should not be...Forced upon you and you should not think of it as a burden.

Learning Latin can be very helpful. I am going to take Latin next year for my (optional) third language. Not only do I think it would be a very interesting skill to have, it would be fun to learn. Of course, since so many other languages were derived from Latin, it will be easier to learn other languages. I think this should be provided in schools, although should not be required. I think it should be an optional class, but definitely available.

• Ancient dead languages can be a lot of fun!

You can use them in stories or other fictional works to give the feeling of something unspeakably ancient. You can also write them into music to give a feel that no modern language could. They even have a practical application, in translating ancient lost texts that archaeologists dig out of some ancient forgotten tomb. However, I *don't* believe that learning any ancient dead language should be required.

• I believe it should be optional

Students who would like to learn it should be enabled to do so. I think it is quite useful to know it, as it makes further learning of other languages far easier, especially, when it comes to languages derived from Latin, like French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian. It can help students to better understand some connections between these languages, making them easier to master. But it definitely should be a choice, not something obligatory. I am passionate about Romance (Latin) languages, and I am glad I was able to learn this language from which all of those wonderful languages were derived.

• Why is it taught if no one speaks the language?

Who are you going to talk to? If it is a dead language, which everyone knows it is, why should us kids learn it. I get that you learn Greek and Latin just because we use the roots in the English language, but no one speaks Latin. We are pretty much learning it for nothing. Please consider this information when submitting your opinion.

Posted by: zz71