• Yes, it should be legal.

It is true that the frontal lobe (the part of the brain that controls reason) in our brain is last developed, but it continues to develop until 20s (should we also abolish capital punishment for them?), undeveloped is just rise the possibility of impulse. But psychology also told us that after 16 years old (some early as 12) we enter what called post-conventional morality stage, that is the stage we think problem as "adult". Even before that stage we could still distinguish right or wrong. Kill others is no doubt to be huge wrong. The other concern maybe-justice system can made mistakes, and death is irretrievable. However I did some research, since 1976, there are only 22 juveniles get death penalty, 21 are 17, and 1 is 16 years old. They only get executed not until 24 years old. This means government got time to figure out if they made mistakes. Have death penalty not means apply to everyone. It are only used in some very terrible cases. Another issue I want to mention is jail is not a good place to learn, they (some extreme children) are more likely to get somewhat problems in mental, and even they return to society after decades, they are hard to integrate into society, and likely to do something illegal. One problem for death penalty is color people have 4 times higher possibility than white people to get serious punishment even they made same criminal. It is needed to be change.

Posted by: spy
  • Do adult crime do adult time

Capital punishment for juvenile offenders should be reserved for the "worst of the worst"; if the homicide was intentional and/or had heinous circumstances (e.G. Rape and torture). The minimum age of execution in this country is 18, declared by Roper v. Simmons (2005). How is an 18-year-old more mature than someone who is 16 or 17?

• Yes everyone should apply to the death penalty even juveniles

I believe if a killer has the intellectual to ability to understand that what she or he did was wrong then that killer must pay with his or her life. And why should tac payers pay to feed house and clothe inmates with a life sentence, they live better than our homeless and last of all if you take a life it can not be given back, in my opinion I wouldn't waste one penny on murders in jail for life sentence if they are really going to be living after just taking away someone's family member should live miseralbly homless dont get to eat everyday don't get to take showers so why should murders?

• If you care capable of murder, than you should be eligible for the death penalty.

I don't believe you should get off easy because you are a juvenile. If that juvenile was capable of making a choice to kill and take another life, than I believe they should have to suffer the consequences of their actions. It is understandable that some children, grew up in uncontrollable conditions but, this is no excuse for not being eligible for the death penalty. We hear the excuse EVERYDAY from people who are 18 and older that the reason made the decision to hurt another person is because they had a hard upbringing of abuse and neglect. Do we reconsider the death penalty for them...No. Why should it be any different for a juvenile.

• Someone who has a brain and is capable of committing the murder deserves to be punished

When you can do it and no one told you to do it, then they should be punished. No one has no brain and only does what they get told to do! Everyone has their own independence. If a baby committed a crime, that would of probably been an accident anyway.

• For Death Penalty

I am now 19 and after just leaving my juvenile years, I can safely say I was capable of making decisions-regardless of the fact that I was missing part of my brain. Teenagers are not as developed as adults, but they can make decisions. Especially important ones. Killing someone would definitely be a big decision. For example, I have never done any type of drug, smoked a cigarette, or had alcohol. Seriously, I have not. Why? Because I know the law. I also know what the law says will happen to me if I so choose to break the law and I really don't want to suffer those consequences. I definitely could have done those things, but I CHOSE not to. Yes, me, a partially developed person, missing half of my brain. Yes- teenagers may be more impulsive than adults, but in cases I have read about (I am a Criminal Justice Student) the teenagers contemplate killing the person before they do it; in cold blood. I understand that people make mistakes, and executing a juvenile for larceny or arson would be ridiculous. However, a teenager who commits murders in cold blood, destroying the lives of not only the victims, but their families, that teenager does not need to be given multiple chances. What's to stop them from doing it again? Especially when they know they can get away with it? Another sentence, when they are already in for life? This is why I support the death penalty for juveniles.

• Yes it should

In some areas child gangster are worse than adult gangsters. If children knew that if they to be executed if they murdered in cold blood, the child murder and crime rate would decrease dramatically. And you half to admit some children are born with disabilities that cannot be cured. It would be better if we were to put them down when they commit a serious crime than throwing them into the loony bin and have them suck up tax payer dollars.

• Yes, the death penalty for juveniles should be legal.

The idea of this arbitrary line of 18 denoting a mature and socially conscious individual who can be held fully accountable for his or her behavior does not suit justice. The fact is, there are some "juveniles" who by the age of 12, 13, or 14, who have developed such socially deviant behavior (such as sociopathic murders) who will never be 'rehabilitated'. Under the current system, juveniles can only be held past 21 (to 23) under extenuating circumstances. These criminally violent offenders are then allowed during a very volatile time in their adult development are returned to society. Juvenile offenders ought to be sentenced in accordance with current standards, but be re-evaluated and re-sentenced once they are deemed to have the full capacity of an adult, and these penalties ought to include death for those who will undoubtedly be returning for life sentences or death after their mandatory release.

• Anyone who commits a capital crime deserves capital punishment.

Death for the purpose of maintaining justice is well established in our history. Justice in response to a crime such as murder, is for the sole purpose of the nature of human life. The government has a moral and fair basis in regards to withdraw life from the guilty. The people who commit the crime, no matter what age, deserve to receive punishment. The capital punishment is moral and just.

• There is no age stipulation in the Cruel and Unusual Punishment Clause

Age should definitely be a consideration for punishment, however in consideration of the clause, the Supreme Court has determined that there must be a sense of proportionality associated with the crime. One's age compared to the heinousness of the act should not totally bar an individual for what they did when their counterpart who conducted the same crime but a year later is receiving capital punishment. The disparity of morals and degree of punishment is huge when the age gap for the same crime can be within months of each other. Once again, age, just like record or mental standing, should be a consideration for punishment but not an outright bar against the death penalty.

• NO, death penalty for juveniles should not be allowed!

There are those people in the United States believe we, as a nation, should be tough on crimes and that if someone commits murder or rape, they should be executed regardless of their age. Killing juveniles is not only uncivilized, it is also morally wrong, it discriminates based on race and gender and does not serve as a deterrent in reducing crimes. A juvenile’s brain is not fully developed like an adult and therefore he/she cannot comprehend the severity and the repercussions of his/her actions. They tend to be impulse driven, highly reactive and many have problems thinking ahead. Due to the fact that juveniles can be easily swayed by peer pressure, they tend not to heed the consequences. “Scientific research shows that juveniles are underdeveloped and immature, particularly in the areas of the brain that dictate reason, impulse control and decision-making” (crime.About.Com). The majority of juveniles that are sitting on death row have a history of being physically and mentally abused along with undiagnosed but treatable psychiatric disorders. They include Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder and many learning disabilities. A study conduct by a legal group found that “A high percentage of juveniles on death row have suffered from mental abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, drug addiction and severe poverty” (www.Deathpenalty.Uslegal.Com).
    A next reason is that due to the fact that juveniles are not fully mature they tend to have a difficultly handling pressure and can be easily swayed by authorities into confessing to a crime that they did not commit during an interrogation.

• No, the death penalty for juveniles should not be legal

I believe that the death penalty for juveniles should not be legal. Studies have shown that a teen's brain is not completely developed and that is the reason that they make such poor judgments. Juveniles who have been abused or come from broken homes may get into trouble because of their harsh backgrounds. Attempts should be made to rehabilitate young offenders, if at all possible.

• Death penalty should be illegal not legal

I believe the death penalty should be illegal because children should get a chance to experience their adulthood and children are young enough to change if they wanted to. Like what another person said on this website, "The majority of juveniles that are sitting on death row have a history of being physically and mentally abused along with undiagnosed but treatable psychiatric disorders."someone said that on this website and I am giving credit to them when I am using this argument.

• No, absolutely not

I have enough problems as it is with the death penalty being legal practice for adults. I can see somebody making the argument for a mass shooter, but beyond that I really can't see a situation that I'd be comfortable with this. Don't even like thinking about it, to be honest.

• Against Death Penalty

No, the death penalty for juveniles should not be legal. I believe that the death penalty for juveniles should not be legal. Studies have shown that a teen's brain is not completely developed and that is the reason that they make such poor judgments. Juveniles who have been abused or come from broken homes may get into trouble because of their harsh backgrounds

• No, the death penalty would solve nothing

Are we so low as to cut off a child for bad decisions? Children ( and young adults ) learn. It is what they do, it is what they were evolved to do. I can see someone thinking " well lets cut the tumor off before it grows", but people are not tumors. I believe that counseling and extra care should be given to these juveniles. We need to care about these children. Doing otherwise strikes me as inhumane.

• No, the death penalty for juveniles should not be legal.

• NO, children should not receive the death penalty.

The death penalty exists for the purpose of punishing the accused and making it so they are never able to commit another crime. But if the main reason for killing the accused/ convicted is because there are those who believe that no one has a right to take another's life, then how could they possibly support this act? The death penalty is a contradiction in itself, and anyone who supports fails to see that they too are taking someone's life-which they have no right to do.

• Think about the future

Giving the death penalty to juveniles should not be the way to try and fix criminals. People use the saying “they are only children” but legislature does not classify themselves as that. They are people in the United States that has committed a serious enough crime to have the penalty requested upon them. Shouldn't we try to get help to the people who commit crimes and figure out why they think the way they do and what has made them so bitter to do such things to get a terrible sentence?
    The mind of a human does not fully develop until mid twenties or even sometimes the early thirties! We should be able to give the juveniles a chance to get help to try and turn their lives around. Stay in prison until they are proven that they can handle the outside world again while being on a close watch. Other the Somalia the United states is the only country in the whole world that still thinks the death penalty for juveniles is not cruel and unusual punishment. The society keeps changing and rapidly, so why shouldn't we give others another chance if we can fix it over time.
    Juveniles are undeveloped and immature for their brain to process in the way some adults do. Violence in juveniles in high percentages come from mental abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse and many more. Families are neglecting their children to focus on themselves so children are doing anything to get attention, even if it bad.