Should the English language be mandatory in schools?

• English shouldn't be compulsory

English sure is global language, but hey, I'm Korean and there are whole bunch of other jobs that does not include English. Olny those ppl who wants to learn English should be taught English in school. Other ppl don't have to get stressed by English assignments and homeworks from school.

• \m/ english rocks

Gg h h h cn hh htrr ';; hb b df df fs fs sd sdsd dsds d sd sd fds ds d s ds ds ds ddfsdfdsf dfd fd fdf d fd f sd d fds fd sf d fd fd fd sf df sd fd f df sd fsd f df sd fd fds

• English Hol potlh

SoHvaD lI' neH interviews Hoch tera' Hol international jaj SoHvaD lI' neH
    interviews. HeghDI' reloSta' interview yIjatlh neH qaStaHvIS English Hol SoHvaD flunti nIS 'ej vaj wIyajlaHbe'law' inte'se s maH. English Hol SoHvaD lI' je pIq veb HaD neH latlh Sep. Vaj potlh 'ej moj compulsary ghoj English Hol. Kli di gon.

• English Hol potlh

• English Hol potlh

• English Hol potlh

• English Hol potlh

• English Hol potlh

• Yolo brothers we americans

Bubouvohviuviuvouvouvou on out uh uh uh ugh ur ug uh uh uh uh uh uh uh uh I uh uh no???Huh huh bruhhhh sos lol lol yooo brooooo yooo TOOO yolooooo bran by n h I u h h j k b b b m o job b h j

• Yes i agree

Yes i totaly agree that english should compulsary in schools becouse other language is not accept in interviews. And english is globalised language without english it is very difficult to survive in developed contry like usa , asu etc. Thats why english must teach to student from nursary class. And afcous english is also improve your persanality.

• It is useless!

Throughout all my years of being in English class i can honestly say one thing, it is completely irrelevant to what we should be focused on in school. All I have ever done since 5th grade was read a book, do an essay rinse and repeat for the rest of my school days. The fact that for the 8 years after 4th grade we never really 'learned' anything just gets me a little mad. I remember when sometimes I didn't have time to complete another assignment because we had to do an English essay! I mean come on people, if you aren't learning anything in English why do we have to take it! As a matter of fact i am sitting in my English class right now doing an essay and I got curious so i looked up why we have to take English class after elementary school and this was the first link i saw. I am actually very disappointing to see that the votes are split 50/50! For those of you that are saying that it is important just know that English from a general view is a complete waste of time which can lead to high stress levels in teens and cause them now to complete other homework assignments. As if the stresses of the constant schoolwork and the infamous 'Common Core' isn't enough, the fact that English is now considered one of the most important subjects is ridiculous! If we are so concerned about our kid's education and futures, why don't we promote that they focus more on math, or science? By all means don't think of me as someone who thinks English is the devil but after you get the basics it should be an elective class. Anyway I need to go get this English essay done before I move onto doing my calculus, biology, and Western Civilization homework. Please, everyone that voted yes read this and reconsider!

• No it should not be mandatory!!!

By the time we are in grade 11 and 12 we already know how to speak and write in English, so why should English be mandatory? English as a course/subject has nothing to offer for students wanting to go into the field of math, science, etc. If English wasn't mandatory students who want to go into the field of math for example could use that extra time to prepare themselves for university/college, but instead they are forced to waste their time analyzing a novel (or piece of writing).

• Eng language !!

I'm from NEPAL and Public support Private School rather than government Based schools. Private or boarding schools provide better quality education than in government based schools.....And those children getting educated from Private boarding schools are said to be more INTELLEGENT......Bezause of the study of English language Learning.......But those who dont wanna learn English should not be forced

• In life we need to know the symbolism of blue in a specific novel.

The people who are voting yes, are probably already inclined in writing, for some people it comes so easy to write essays and create stories on the spot.
    Making English compulsory is completely unfair to the students who are applying for science/maths courses in university.
    English should be taught to younger ages who don't know the difference between a simile and an antonym. Not for students who do not need to know how to analyse the persuasive techniques in an article. How is that going to help anyone in a workplace (other than journalism or English teacher)
    English should be optional from grade 11 to 12, that way, students who want to pursue jobs that involve in depth knowledge, like the news station or something can chose to pick English.
    Not for students who want to become maths professors or doctors.
    And don't say ''You need English to know how to speak.''
    We already know how to speak well enough to an extent to converse with society.
    If English is compulsory, maths should be too, we don't need a world where people don't know what the rules of 0 are.

• Students should not have to do English

I believe no one should have to do English in secondary school because it is not worth doing it and it is really boring and makes you really tired and it makes your head hurt a lot and you would have to buy a lot of tablets to get rid of your head aches

• Wff ffg fc

Fgusfnj ujfhnsju degubnjsb ;nsoe[gjv nsinv jsenv le fv rwfc wne dfvcnxdv3wrhvb aeq gvad vans\ vnad vs\n vsnfb vvdn sna fndg bnkgfhm bknhbnb,vb ,..,m .Hbl bmb mnf bg g n nkn f hm b n ,bcbv vv v vv vf v v v v v fg gh t h h hg h

• Not every career uses the advanced language

We do not need so much steps on writing paragraphs because not every job will use that, it should be a non required class, like if you want to take it, then you can take the class. English is one of the reason most kids fail High School and do not get to go to a University

• English should not be mandatory.

I understand the benefits of English at lower levels of education. It helps students structure sentences, use proper grammar, and have an overall better understanding of how the language works. But when you reach higher levels, you are not taught anything new bur rather graded on your ability to write. Its unfair to force students who aren't artistically talented to draw, but where is the reasoning to force students who have limited capability of writing to be tested on such things like essays and stories.

• Studying English at higher level (Scotland) should not be compulsory

The level of English at higher is useless unless you want to be an English teacher. I'm all for everyone learning to read and write, but I fail to see how poetry analysis is any help in later life. I really struggle with this side of English and I'm much better at maths and sciences, but to do a science course at university, I still need my higher English. I think this is unfair as I'm getting about 90% in my maths and sciences but might not get into uni because I can't write a brilliant critical essay on Shakespeare.

• English language should not be mandatory in schools

In our society right now, we should always encountered schools whom their students were using English language at all times. But let us think first, though English language is the universal language, we should not force the students to speak this language if they are not comfortable in it, and besides,English language can be learn if students is interested though it is compulsory.

AnonyFeline says2013-08-15T17:41:29.407
It is already the default language in the world and english speaking and english influenced nations. If one wishes to succeed beyond their local, regional, and national linguistic and cultural boundaries, then english is a necessity. There is no need to enact laws to make it official, or to force schools to teach it since it is already the default language of the world. Any school that has the ultimate goal of fully informing, enligntening, and empowering their students will also teach it by default. Any student that would deny its importance on the world stage would be robbing themselves of a worldly education.