Should the fashion industry ban models that are too skinny?

• NO, NO, and NO!!!

Skinny people make others feel bad about themselves and it is wrong to judge people. Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought I'm over weight? If not, ask the person next to you, I bet you they have. Society stereotypes models that are either too skinny or too fat. America has become stereotypical and its wrong!

• Bad Influence For Girls

Young girls look up to famous magazines like Teen Vogue and Seventeen. With those magazines allowing super skinny models to be models for them, that makes young girls want to starve themselves just so they can be beautiful. They'd think that it'd be okay to be that skinny. It's wrong!

• Skinnies spreading complex

Every women shown on ramp, advertising and other sorts of fashion platforms are too skinny that people has started perceiving "those " as perfect and pretty women ... This is affecting other women specially young college girls, to diet and lose their weight as much as possible. To lose weight they are adopting unhealthy lifestyle which is affecting their physical as well as mental health .

• Induce eating disorders

Billions of young women are tormented by the media’s representation of the ‘perfect body’. The messages portrayed to women through advertising are influencing people’s perception of beauty and size. This bombardment forces women to compare themselves to these unrealistically skinny and beautifully photo shopped models working in the fashion industry and promoting products. All these edited and unhealthy ideals are rapidly increasing and inducing eating disorders in young women! The people which are advertising our products are dramatically skinny which puts images in young women’s heads that if they want to look attractive and like a model they have to be seriously skinny, and blemish free!
    Why are these people modelling to us when they are clearly so unhealthy and underweight! Why are unhealthy and morally affected people role models for our size and beauty?! What else is expected to happen other than people following their path and becoming like them? Advertising promoted by unrealistic models are inducing eating disorders because of the dramatic difference between model size and the average woman size. The average woman is 162.56 cm tall, weighs 75.3 kgs, and has a dress size of 14-16 while the average model is 177.80 cm tall, weighs 48.5 kgs and has a dress size of either 0, 2 or 4, has the waist measurement of an average 8 year old girl or otherwise is considered as a plus size model for the fashion industries.
    83% of teenage girls read magazines of an average of 4 hours per week, through these magazines advertisements for diets and weight loss programs are 10 times more likely than they are in men’s magazines. How often do you see an advertisement pop up about weight loss that has comment about you for example “walk off that belly in too weeks”, too bad if you are suffering from an eating disorder and that is the last thing you need said to you. Why advertise the weight loss tricks when anorexia is more likely to kill than a bit of excess fat and few kilos overweight?
    How often do you see a size 0, 2 or 4 fully grown adult in day to day life? Those sizes are so unrealistic, even for models. A very common model thin trick is to eat only tissues because they swell up to fill your stomach but don’t make you put on weight. Designers have been choosing these mini tiny models then forcing them to loose weight when there is basically no weight to loose because they have the impression that skinny models sell their clothes easier and quicker. Do they? Well that’s up to you to encourage or discourage these fashion industries by supporting this issue.
    The model agencies are much to blame. The pressure of trying to look skinny and getting out of control.
    It is drastic that we make an appeal to all the fashion designers to use healthier models! This could be the death of many girls and women!

• Sure, it may be unfair but...

Right now it's like "overweight" and "nornal weight" models are banned from the industry, so why shouldn't skinny models be banned? It fair, then the skinny girls can get to feel how it is to be classed as "the wrong body size". Because, honestly, shouldn't they get to feel the same as everyone else? And, it wouldn't be nearly as many girls thinking that they are overweight, when they really aren't, and then it wouldn't be nearly as many anorexic girls in the world...

• Yes it's disturbing and demeaning.

Many models being the weight they are aren't healthy at all. If they were my argument would be invalid. My argument is that models being that skinny are either starving themselves or eating very little. Many teenage girls or guys can look at that the wrong way and as they go to peruse that body they take the wrong and very dangerous steps. If models could advertise a healthy way of obtaining and maintaining that weight without starving themselves then I would more than likely support their carreer and the ways of their career. All in all models should have a minimum weight or above to obtain this career.

• Yes being too skinny is unhealthy.

If you are too skinny and underweight. The people who choose the models should make sure they are at a healthy weight. When you put models on the runway or catwalk it can make people want to buy those super cute clothes but also to have their super unhealthy weight or looks. If you want to be a model then be healthy. Health and beauty go hand and hand. Without being healthy you aren't beautiful to the max. Without beauty you aren't healthy to the max. But everybody is their own kind of beauty.

• Yes, people want to be very very skinny like models.

Being really skinny is really unhealthy. Modeling should have pretty AND HEALTHY people in it. If anorexic people are models it is going to make larger people want to be anorexic or get thigh gaps or be binge eaters. People should have to be healthy to model or they will set a bad example for teens and littler kids. Some stores now hold very pretty clothes for kids that are the age of 8, 9, and 10. That makes them think that in their culture people have to be pretty to get a good job or be liked. People should focus more on a good education than being pretty. Still be healthy and keep yourself clean and beautiful but don't make all that you focus about.

• Being too skinny is very unhealthy and un-natural.

Many models starve themselves which can cause eating disorders and death. They also create a false image of a 'perfect' and 'ideal' body, which makes other people want to look like them. This leads to an increase of people with eating disorders. It is fine if you're naturally skinny but otherwise it just isn't right.

• Yes, people idolize models.

The fashion industry should ban models that are too skinny because there are people who look at these models and desire to be like them, no matter how unhealthy they may actually be. On that note, models should also be banned if they are too skinny for the sake of their own safety and health rather than encouraging them to get skinnier and more unhealthy.

• No, absolutely not!

Skinny women are more attractive. This is the simple truth. Advertisers are entitled to use whatever type of models they like to represent their brand. When more than half of people in America are overweight we need to stop celebrating obesity. It is unhealthy. It is not the advertisers or the models responsibility to be role models for young women. If women are unhappy with their bodies they can exercise and diet and DO something about it. If they are so lacking in self esteem that they would starve themselves to look more like the models then they have deeper issues they need to work on. Some women are naturally very thin and shouldn't be punished for that. Thin is in, get over it!

• You can't discriminate people

According to the law you can’t discriminate people, that is one of the reasons why I think that skinny models should be allowed on the catwalk. You can’t just say to a model that she can’t work just because she is skinny because maybe it’s just her stature, maybe she is born that thin and maybe she is very healthy. I think if you ban a model from walking a fashion show you shouldn’t do that because of her body, but because of the eating disorder you think she has. When you assume that a model has an eating disorder you should test that and when you know for sure that she is starving herself or uses other unnatural ways to be thin you can interdict her from walking on the runway. When people know that the models are skinny in a healthy way and not because they’re starving themselves with as result they probably won’t starve themselves because they know they can’t reach the result the models get in a healthy way. Clothes look better on skinny models, when people think the clothes look pretty on the models they will probably buy them themselves and that’s very good for the economy. Anorexia is genetically determined, you need a couple of properties like perseverance, perfectionism, impulsiveness and insecurity. These properties are in your DNA, you can’t change them, you are born with them, it’s who you are. Rita Slof-Op 't Landt, a Dutch investigator, has found a gene which is called TPH2. It increases the risk on having an eating disorder really bad, she discovered.
    Journal of Consumer Research says that it doesn’t matter what the size of a model is, fat women will be insecure, no matter what. Woman with a normal BMI will be less insecure when they look at a skinny model. Fat models are also unhealthy. My own BMI is 17 that’s also to light for the fashion industry but I’m not too thin I eat a lot and not really healthy.

• No, they should not.

The free market should be the grand arbiter of all things, unless some grave injustice can be shown that would justify a superseding law. Models do not in any way, shape, or form force young teenagers to develop anorexia or to obsess over fashion and looks in any way. It would be like banning paper manufacturers because paper is used in cigarettes.

• No.

While the practice of using extremely skinny models should be very discouraged, it's discriminatory to ban them outright. Adults are capable (theoretically) of taking care of themselves and should not be punished for their choices. However, models do have an inordinate amount of seeming control over the way young women see themselves, and the unhealthy lifestyles the perpetrate should be kept out of the spotlight as much as possible.

• No they shouldn't

Why should the fashion industry do such a thing? It doesn't make any sense. Body image issues? Maybe we should teach people not to be such consummerist and not think that banning this or that certain commercial product or ad is really going to change anything. People have to start thinking for themselves.

• This is disgusting

How dare anyone suggest that 'skinny models' should be banned from the catwalk. What an unbelievably hypocritical statement! What would these be replaced with? 'Bigger' girls I would presume? People seem to forget that more people die of obesity annually than anorexia/bulimia. Of course, promoting eating disorders should be prevented at all costs but to assume that just because a model is skinny that she has an eating disorder is plain wrong. If skinny models promote ED's, when they may not have one, I cannot understand how bigger models do not do the same thing. Obesity/over-eating is an eating disorder as well, and if we were to try and make it so that everyone is under the impression that 'curves > bones' then we may just complete reverse the whole situation and have skinnier girls believe that to be 'beautiful' or 'normal' they must be a bigger weight. There should be a variety of sizes in the industry, from size 0 to size 18.

• They should not.

I am extremely skinny and I am a model. It was always a dream of mine to be one. The fashion industry shouldn't just ban skinny people from being too skinny, because that is injustice to the rest of the world who are extremely skinny, so they have some people to look up to. Do you know how it feels like to be an ectomorph, and look at fashion magazines with mesomorphs looking healthy and regular modeling clothes that you know that you will never be able to wear? It's the same with endomorphs, they will feel much more self-conscious of their body weight. Ectomorphs will try to fill their "empty" bodies with a constant response from people: "Just eat more." This is very not healthy because out of devastation of failure at everything else, skinny girls will take on this offer, consuming unhealthy calories each day, and feeling worse as the result. I have been there, as a personal experience, and let me tell you, that was not fun at all. And I didn't look any better than I was before.
    Many ectomorphs have the curse of being constantly accused of starving themselves, anorexia, or just eating very little. For me, no matter how much I ate, nothing seemed to happen. Growing up in Texas, where the girls there are known as "healthy" and "corn-fed," I can't tell you how many people scolded me with one of these options. I lost count.
    I don't think the fashion industry should ban models that are too skinny because skinny people need clothes too, and clothes that will FIT.

• This is wrong

Advertisers are entitled to use whatever type of models they like to represent their brand.

You can't discriminate people According to the law you can’t discriminate people, that is one of the reasons why I think that skinny models should be allowed on the catwalk. You can’t just say to a model that she can’t work just because she is skinny because maybe it’s just her stature, maybe she is born that thin and maybe she is very healthy. I think if you ban a model from walking a fashion show you shouldn’t do that because of her body, but because of the eating disorder you think she has. When you assume that a model has an eating disorder you should test that and when you know for sure that she is starving herself or uses other unnatural ways to be thin you can interdict her from walking on the runway. When people know that the models are skinny in a healthy way and not because they’re starving themselves with as result they probably won’t starve themselves because they know they can’t reach the result the models get in a healthy way.

While the practice of using extremely skinny models should be very discouraged, it's discriminatory to ban them outright. Adults are capable (theoretically) of taking care of themselves and should not be punished for their choices.

Models do not in any way, shape, or form force young teenagers to develop anorexia or to obsess over fashion and looks in any way. It would be like banning paper manufacturers because paper is used in cigarettes.

• I don't know

This guy just got so trolled so they could keep sending sbbsbwwejejesidi I am not sure what the problem with this email is a great day for the next day delivery to the new year and I am a beautiful person to be the best way to go back and I

• This makes me sad.

Ok so let's get the point. There are girls out there, also guys, that wish to be models but fell like they can't be. I am skinny but i don't choose to be. Not everybody that is skinny has a disease. I have a fast metabolism which makes me skinny because i digest food quicker and the fats and stuff don't have time to reach the rest of my body so they just digest. It makes me cry seeing people say that we should be banned from modeling because we are skinny. It's my dream to be a model not because I want the body or have the body (which i don't) to be a model. But really i'm gonna have a really hard time getting there because of all these people saying i'm too skinny. But i'm gonna try. I'm gonna show these haters that it doesn't matter what size you are, you should be allowed to be you without being judged. Not that you should make your self skinny or "bigger" but be proud of your body. Tbh I have a hard time with that. A really hard time but I try and i'll get there. Stay strong!