Should the fashion industry ban models that are too skinny?

• They create a false image for women.

Super skinny models should not be allowed to walk in fashion shows because they perpetuate unsafe and unhealthy lifestyle choices. These models cause young women to believe that the only possible route to beauty is through extreme skinniness. This screws with their perception of beauty, and self-worth and in the end destroys self-esteem since they set the bar so low/high it is impossible to achieve.

• Yes, people idolize models.

The fashion industry should ban models that are too skinny because there are people who look at these models and desire to be like them, no matter how unhealthy they may actually be. On that note, models should also be banned if they are too skinny for the sake of their own safety and health rather than encouraging them to get skinnier and more unhealthy.

• Being too skinny is very unhealthy and un-natural.

Many models starve themselves which can cause eating disorders and death. They also create a false image of a 'perfect' and 'ideal' body, which makes other people want to look like them. This leads to an increase of people with eating disorders. It is fine if you're naturally skinny but otherwise it just isn't right.

• Yes, people want to be very very skinny like models.

Being really skinny is really unhealthy. Modeling should have pretty AND HEALTHY people in it. If anorexic people are models it is going to make larger people want to be anorexic or get thigh gaps or be binge eaters. People should have to be healthy to model or they will set a bad example for teens and littler kids. Some stores now hold very pretty clothes for kids that are the age of 8, 9, and 10. That makes them think that in their culture people have to be pretty to get a good job or be liked. People should focus more on a good education than being pretty. Still be healthy and keep yourself clean and beautiful but don't make all that you focus about.

• Yes being too skinny is unhealthy.

If you are too skinny and underweight. The people who choose the models should make sure they are at a healthy weight. When you put models on the runway or catwalk it can make people want to buy those super cute clothes but also to have their super unhealthy weight or looks. If you want to be a model then be healthy. Health and beauty go hand and hand. Without being healthy you aren't beautiful to the max. Without beauty you aren't healthy to the max. But everybody is their own kind of beauty.

• Yes it's disturbing and demeaning.

Many models being the weight they are aren't healthy at all. If they were my argument would be invalid. My argument is that models being that skinny are either starving themselves or eating very little. Many teenage girls or guys can look at that the wrong way and as they go to peruse that body they take the wrong and very dangerous steps. If models could advertise a healthy way of obtaining and maintaining that weight without starving themselves then I would more than likely support their carreer and the ways of their career. All in all models should have a minimum weight or above to obtain this career.

• Bad Influence For Girls

Young girls look up to famous magazines like Teen Vogue and Seventeen. With those magazines allowing super skinny models to be models for them, that makes young girls want to starve themselves just so they can be beautiful. They'd think that it'd be okay to be that skinny. It's wrong!

• Not healthy and normal looking at all - bad influence on young girls

These girls are not only very young but extremely underweight for their heights - low BMI's and unhealthy lifestyles to look like a walking clothes hanger for the sake of fashion - girls need to see HEALTHY women. Everyday a girl takes on an eating disorder as a way to "look like a model" when these models are actually the not normal look at all. Giving girls good role models who are healthy should be more important than fashion.

• It's just not right!

Yes it's disturbing and demeaning. Many models being the weight they are aren't healthy at all. If they were my argument would be invalid. My argument is that models being that skinny are either starving themselves or eating very little. Many teenage girls or guys can look at that the wrong way and as they go to peruse that body they take the wrong and very dangerous steps. If models could advertise a healthy way of obtaining and maintaining that weight without starving themselves then I would more than likely support their career and the ways of their career. All in all models should have a minimum weight or above to obtain this career.

• Models should represent who will wear the outfit.

Remember that skinny models just set new standards for beauty: skinny as a chopstick and tall as a power pole. Pretty doesn't even count often, most of them look pretty with the help of make up and photoshop anyway.

Why can't women with more meat be chosen as models? (If you say they can, count how many there are? I bet the number is close to 0). This has pushed the younger generation to go on crazy diets, some finally have bulimia, because they want to look like models (Hello, Victoria's Secret, I'm talking to you).

If designers only want their garments to be bought by walking sticks, then go ahead. Don't even bother to make clothes for humans, stop ripping us off and go find another planet. Don't forget to bring your sticks with you.

• No, absolutely not!

Skinny women are more attractive. This is the simple truth. Advertisers are entitled to use whatever type of models they like to represent their brand. When more than half of people in America are overweight we need to stop celebrating obesity. It is unhealthy. It is not the advertisers or the models responsibility to be role models for young women. If women are unhappy with their bodies they can exercise and diet and DO something about it. If they are so lacking in self esteem that they would starve themselves to look more like the models then they have deeper issues they need to work on. Some women are naturally very thin and shouldn't be punished for that. Thin is in, get over it!

• You can't discriminate people

According to the law you can’t discriminate people, that is one of the reasons why I think that skinny models should be allowed on the catwalk. You can’t just say to a model that she can’t work just because she is skinny because maybe it’s just her stature, maybe she is born that thin and maybe she is very healthy. I think if you ban a model from walking a fashion show you shouldn’t do that because of her body, but because of the eating disorder you think she has. When you assume that a model has an eating disorder you should test that and when you know for sure that she is starving herself or uses other unnatural ways to be thin you can interdict her from walking on the runway. When people know that the models are skinny in a healthy way and not because they’re starving themselves with as result they probably won’t starve themselves because they know they can’t reach the result the models get in a healthy way. Clothes look better on skinny models, when people think the clothes look pretty on the models they will probably buy them themselves and that’s very good for the economy. Anorexia is genetically determined, you need a couple of properties like perseverance, perfectionism, impulsiveness and insecurity. These properties are in your DNA, you can’t change them, you are born with them, it’s who you are. Rita Slof-Op 't Landt, a Dutch investigator, has found a gene which is called TPH2. It increases the risk on having an eating disorder really bad, she discovered.
    Journal of Consumer Research says that it doesn’t matter what the size of a model is, fat women will be insecure, no matter what. Woman with a normal BMI will be less insecure when they look at a skinny model. Fat models are also unhealthy. My own BMI is 17 that’s also to light for the fashion industry but I’m not too thin I eat a lot and not really healthy.

• No, they should not.

The free market should be the grand arbiter of all things, unless some grave injustice can be shown that would justify a superseding law. Models do not in any way, shape, or form force young teenagers to develop anorexia or to obsess over fashion and looks in any way. It would be like banning paper manufacturers because paper is used in cigarettes.

• No.

While the practice of using extremely skinny models should be very discouraged, it's discriminatory to ban them outright. Adults are capable (theoretically) of taking care of themselves and should not be punished for their choices. However, models do have an inordinate amount of seeming control over the way young women see themselves, and the unhealthy lifestyles the perpetrate should be kept out of the spotlight as much as possible.

• No no no

I am really tired of seeing people trashing thin girls!!!! We have a FAT epidemic in our country. Many of the number 1,2,3 killers are linked to being to fat. The young lady in the advertisement is about the size my wife was 20 years ago. We are both 48 years old now and my wife still maintains a great, beautiful weight with her size 5'6" 108!!! 3 out of 5 women is America are considered OBESE!!! Obese is considered 18 lbs. Over weight!! Quit trashing healthy ladies and start using that energy to exercise keeping your mouth shut from criticism and eating so much!!

• Skinny is better

If you put a curvy fat women in front of a guy along with a skinny Victoria's Secret model they would choose the skinny one
    Truth is all you guys are hating on skinny girls too make you curvy women feel better about them selves.
    I bet all these overweight women that are saying there better then skinny girls are trying to lose weight too look skinny.
    Sure curvy women are for cuddling, but skinny girls are looking hot.
    All these guys saying they prefer curvy then skinny are lying.
    "Curvy" is just a word to make overweight women feel better
    Skinny girls are way hotter!
    So stop hating on us skinny girls

• No, if they do, they should ban large models too.

One minute people say to ban skinny models because they are a bad influence for been..Themselves? Then, these same people will say to encourage larger models. I suppose overall, fat and skinny both could face health issues.

Lets remember here that parents have a responsibility to protect their children from extreme thoughts on such imagery. Yes skinny models, Barbie etc may create the image 'perfect' in a kids mind but it is up to to the parents and teachers to ensure this doesn't go beyond a line.

Lets all take a moment to remember that if equality came into the situation, one must prepare themselves for a lot of conflict. If skinny girls can't model, neither can fat models, that leaves us with only that super healthy looking woman that perhaps works out. Which is even harder for girls who want to be models because now they don't only have to be under a certain weight but over one too which just doubles the stress.
    People have a mind of their own, the influence is there but goodness it's not very extreme, if a girl wants to be a skinny model then by the time she can, she really is of age and is old enough to have made the choice from more than "oh a skinny model I want to be one" lets have some faith in young girls

• No they shouldn't

Why should the fashion industry do such a thing? It doesn't make any sense. Body image issues? Maybe we should teach people not to be such consummerist and not think that banning this or that certain commercial product or ad is really going to change anything. People have to start thinking for themselves.

• This is disgusting

How dare anyone suggest that 'skinny models' should be banned from the catwalk. What an unbelievably hypocritical statement! What would these be replaced with? 'Bigger' girls I would presume? People seem to forget that more people die of obesity annually than anorexia/bulimia. Of course, promoting eating disorders should be prevented at all costs but to assume that just because a model is skinny that she has an eating disorder is plain wrong. If skinny models promote ED's, when they may not have one, I cannot understand how bigger models do not do the same thing. Obesity/over-eating is an eating disorder as well, and if we were to try and make it so that everyone is under the impression that 'curves > bones' then we may just complete reverse the whole situation and have skinnier girls believe that to be 'beautiful' or 'normal' they must be a bigger weight. There should be a variety of sizes in the industry, from size 0 to size 18.

• They should not.

I am extremely skinny and I am a model. It was always a dream of mine to be one. The fashion industry shouldn't just ban skinny people from being too skinny, because that is injustice to the rest of the world who are extremely skinny, so they have some people to look up to. Do you know how it feels like to be an ectomorph, and look at fashion magazines with mesomorphs looking healthy and regular modeling clothes that you know that you will never be able to wear? It's the same with endomorphs, they will feel much more self-conscious of their body weight. Ectomorphs will try to fill their "empty" bodies with a constant response from people: "Just eat more." This is very not healthy because out of devastation of failure at everything else, skinny girls will take on this offer, consuming unhealthy calories each day, and feeling worse as the result. I have been there, as a personal experience, and let me tell you, that was not fun at all. And I didn't look any better than I was before.
    Many ectomorphs have the curse of being constantly accused of starving themselves, anorexia, or just eating very little. For me, no matter how much I ate, nothing seemed to happen. Growing up in Texas, where the girls there are known as "healthy" and "corn-fed," I can't tell you how many people scolded me with one of these options. I lost count.
    I don't think the fashion industry should ban models that are too skinny because skinny people need clothes too, and clothes that will FIT.