Should the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) be abolished?

Asked by: discomfiting
  • Québécois stands with people VS. FCC & PMRC

I'm Québécois but citizen of US... I am so with you. I'm so astonished sometime to realize that Canadians have more freedom of speech than the country who practically invented it! Politicians are so soft and scared of criticism. They debate and take the logic decision to make its citizens calm down! I've always hated with a passion FCC (tyrants) especially when the PMRC had a lot of power like the FCC. I could rant 500 words of angriness on those two anti freedom tyrants. But it's only my opinion

• FCC should be abolished

Nothing they have done or will ever do is going to be worth keeping their lights on. Its a waste of resources, not to mention that their attack on net neutrality is unconstitutional. Due to whom it favors it is a direct violation of 18 U.S. Code § 2381. Yes, literally treason. Punishable by death, Ajit.

• Lmao these niggas fuckin stupid

Net neutrality s improtantso thefcc should nt exist blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me blow me

• Please do follow through on abolishing the FCC.

Like many say, the FCC is infringing on many rights of the citizens of the United States of America. We the people have the right to say what we please, so this proposal by the FCC is intruding on our freedom of speech, our freedom of the press (as in YouTube, Washington Post, etc.). Though I may be incorrect, Facebook has a rumor that if anyone opposes the removal of Net Neutrality that person will be silenced and removed. Thus I conclude with saying that the FCC is unconstitutional and should be removed.

• The FCC violates basic human rights, and so, operates illegally.

The FCC blatantly violates the freedom of speech and expression. Now, with the addition to destroying net neutrality, remotely violating the right the peaceful protest, because if users (Youtubers are a great example) protest their ISP on something, the ISP has full power. Stop the FCC. Stop forced censorship. #savenetneutraliry

• Government has no right to infringe on free speech, even on the air. Abolish the FCC completely.

The federal government has no right to determine what media children or otherwise can consume. The FCC's very existence is a threat to free speech. The so-called "practical duties" the FCC claims to promote can easily be achieved by the companies themselves; no governmental organization is needed to "promote competition, innovation, and investment" in broadband services and facilities.

• Abolish it Now!

They don't censor the internet and their role is now obsolete like so many other Governmental onerous regs and taxpayer wasting institutions.

Abolish this, the Department of Education, FDA, EPA, NDAA, NAFTA, TARIFFS, Patriot Acts, Fatherland Security (I mean "Homeland") and the list goes on. We don't need you. The private sector can do everything better. The Internet is a perfect example

• Abolish it Now!

• Parents Should be controlling what their kids can and can't see, not the government

When I watched the episode "Just One Bite" from SpongeBob, I noticed that the seen where Squidward gets blown up was removed. I ALMOST CRIED. That scene was HILARIOUS! Then I thought about things they show on TV today, and thought: "Why is it that at one point it was ok to have dirty jokes in cartoons, but now it's not?" I mean, I was a child when SpongeBob was good, and I remember not getting any of the jokes that made my parents laugh their heads off. Now I get the jokes, and I hate how the FCC has prohibited funny jokes. I mean, little kids don't get dirty references, and if parents don't like what their kids are watching, that's their problem! They should be the ones telling kids what their kids can and can't watch. And if those parents don't control what their little kids watch, then they shouldn't be parents. I should also mention that we are supposed to be "Free" country which means that we have the right to watch our favorite shows without some a**holes censoring everything that makes it funny!

• There are technical reasons for the FCC.

Among them are spectrum allocation, Etc. From http://www.fcc.gov/, enumerated duties include:

Promoting competition, innovation and investment in broadband services and facilities
    Supporting the nation's economy by ensuring an appropriate competitive framework for the unfolding of the communications revolution
    Encouraging the highest and best use of spectrum domestically and internationally
    Revising media regulations so that new technologies flourish alongside diversity and localism
    Providing leadership in strengthening the defense of the nation's communications infrastructure

All are practical duties. I will agree that the FCC needs to be reformed, but not abolished,