Should the federal government be more directly involved with drug issues in sports?

• Yes, the federal government should be more directly inolved with drug issues in sports.

When the federal government issues an antitrust exemption (which allows sports leagues to protect their monopolies), the government also gains some leverage over the recipient of the exemption. Since the government recognizes the value of allowing these leagues to have monopolies, it should also recognize the importance of these athletes as role models for young children (for better or worse). If the leagues cannot keep its employees off illicit drugs and performance enhancers, the government should consider removing their antitrust exemption and allowing competition. Perhaps there is a different league that could do it cleanly.

• There is No Compelling Federal Interest.

The federal government is limited to deal with issues that the States cannot handle alone, or that relate to foreign entities. There is no compelling federal interest in drug issues in sports to justify deeper examination short of inter-state drug dealing or substances that are currently illegal by federal law.

• No They Shouldn't

I do not believe the federal government should be more directly involved with drug issues in sports. If the issue was that bad, I'm sure the local authorities would become involved and alert the federal government if the problem was big enough. Drug issues in sports, in my opinion, are taken care of quite well by the leagues.

• Why do they care?

No, the federal government should not be more directly involved with drug issues in sports, because it is none of their business. I do not understand why the federal government steps into the management of baseball like it is a government organization. The MLB is private. Let them handle matters for themselves.