Should the federal government be the one to ultimately determine if marijuana is legal?

• Yes, the federal government should ultimately determine whether marijuana is legal.

The federal government should decide whether marijuana is legal for functional reasons only. Currently, Washington and Colorado currently have legalized recreational use of small amounts of marijuana. However, it is illegal for both states to impose the taxes they created to regulate distribution and usage because it is a federal crime to profit from these enterprises. Ultimately, the federal government will need to legalize marijuana and then allow the states to determine whether local use is in line with state regulations.

• Eases suffering, government should support majority thinking.

I have excruciating spine degeneration. I have been prescribed every narcotic known to man. After overdosing, I was taken off all narcotics. This has made my quality of life horrible, and I'm in pain 24/7. While visiting another state which provides recreational marijuana, I purchased a small amount and felt almost instant pain relief, I could function and enjoy my life again. I am currently trying to sell my house so I can move to another state to get relief. This is a sad day in America. I have to uproot myself away from family so I can experience a better quality to my life. Government should let the voters decide. Midwestern states are in the dark ages. There is big money in manufacturing prescription drugs which have so many disclaimers and warnings on them, why would anybody take them? I am 56 yrs old and I had never used marijuana before this past year. Tried it out of desperation, as my Drs. Had let me down and I was in severe pain. Let those of us suffering and in pain be allowed some relief.

• It is not their realm

The Constitutional authority for the federal government to regulate drugs is already tenuous, and saying that they have the ultimate right to say whether or not they're legal makes almost no sense. Drugs are not part of the laws that the Constitution allows the government to pass laws on, but the states can pass any local law.

• The public should decide.

I do not think the federal government should be the one to ultimately determine if marijuana is legal. I think the public should form an opinion in order to get it legalized because the government isnt making any progress on making it legal in all 50 states like it needs to be.

• No, it is not a federal issue.

No, the federal government should not be the one to decide if marijuana is legal, because it is not a federal issue. Whether marijuana is legal should be best left to the states. There can be states that smokers flock to and productive people move away from. This is American and how it is supposed to work. It is not the federal government's problem.

• I don’t think that the federal government should be the one to ultimately determine if marijuana is legal.

I don’t think that the federal government should be the one
    to ultimately determine if marijuana is legal.
    If the federal government doesn’t decide to legalize marijuana, then the
    individual states should be free to decide if they want to legalize it. And, the people in states that legalize
    should be exempt from federal prosecution.

• The federal government should not be the one to ultimately determine if marijuana is legal.

The federal government should not be the one to ultimately determine if marijuana is legal. I think it should be up to the people as well as the government. I think they will see that the legalizing of marijuana will be nothing but good for the economy and that they should have done it sooner.

• The People Should Decide if Marijuana is Legal

There should be a national referendum or vote to let the people decide. Even that appears to be an imperfect solution, since other people should not be telling someone what they can enjoy if it is not hurting anyone else. Similarly, the government has no business telling the public what it can put into their body either.

• No, it is a state affair.

The Federal government needs to be less involved with the daily lives of Americans. Each state should be allowed to decide on whether or not to legalize marijuana and under which grounds and statutes its use should be regulated. The only reason the Federal government should step in is to decide whether to tax it at a medical or recreational rate.

• No, it is a state affair.