Should the federal government play a role in public school policy?

• In a Limited Capacity

I usually would land on the other side of this argument but I do think the federal government has an obligation to provide some uniform standards for public education. We do need to teach our students to compete on a global level and having 50 separate ideals of what constitutes education isn't very conducive towards that goal. The federal government should probably scale back a lot of its involvement but it does have its place in public education policy.

Posted by: pdrm
  • Federal Government Should NOT Act in Public School Policy

I believe that when the federal government involves itself in school policy, children suffer. Because of the federal No Child Left Behind Act, teachers began to focus less on learning and more on simply teaching students how to take a test so they didn't suffer consequences from a flawed system of educational measurement. I believe the federal government has good intentions when it comes to helping children, but ultimately the power to decide policy should stay with those who are actively involved in the school itself.

• Feds Shouldn't Dictate Education

Every time the federal government becomes involved in a process, they make a mess of it. The mess with education began with the senior Bush's "No Child Left Behind" program. The problem has only gotten worse. In 2013, Michelle Obama even took it upon herself to dictate what kids eat in public school. Of course, her kids don't have to eat it.

• The federal government only unduly interferes with the school system.

I don't think it is right for the federal government to force their view on school policy. Each state and even every district is different. Take school uniforms for example. To say that every school is required to have a school uniform would just not be right. Some area people just can't afford to buy a new outfit and possibly an expensive one at that for their kids. Also we are a country of freedom. We should be allowed to choose for our own kids what is right and wrong for them, not the federal government. Local school districts have a better chance to really hear what is right and wrong for the students in their districts.

• Rarely, if ever.

The federal government has little to no place in the classroom. Public schools are run by the states and too much federal interference could be seen as a violation of state rights. Further, top-down, one size fits all, testing measures and education programs are flawed. Education functions best when the educators are allowed to make decisions about how to do their jobs.