Should the gay movement be compared to the African American Civil Rights Movement?

• To some extent.

Are they exactly the same in every possible way? No. Are they comparable? Of course. The liberal progress of human-kind, or at least the United States, has given the gay movement the privilege of not being quite as vehemently resisted as the African American Civil Rights Movement, but in some cases, very close. Nearly all aspects of the black rights struggle can be found in this movement. Similarities include oppression of rights (yes, the ability to marry the person of your choosing is a RIGHT), tactics of protest, violence, discrimination, etc. I would simply consider the gay rights movement slightly less extreme.

• Civil Rights are Human Rights.

We should compare the African American Civil Rights movement along with any point in history in which a minority has been denied basic human liberties by the majority. Overcoming oppression is a struggle, and both the African American community and LGBT community have struggled. In all honesty, they are both still struggling.

• 100% Yes, Yes, Yes.

Just because you can deny your own sexual orientation or hide it, doesn't take away the comparable struggle to the black rights movement. In fact, reviewing history, the women's movement (and struggle today) and the black movement (and struggle today) are very, very similar. Right now, we have come a LONG way with blacks and women in our society to be closer to equal. Yet, sexism still exists in the work place and throughout our nation. Racism as well. The way the rights were obtained are so similar....Peaceful protests, sit-ins, voter mobilization, parades, secret societies, violence, non-peaceful protests, intentional arrests, etc...Each group, women and blacks, they each had these types of mobilization for their rights.

And the gays do as well, and we will continue. Same story, different oppression.

• They are very similar

They both involve personal and civil liberties being violated. Oppression, discrimination and death all are much to real for both struggles. The reason it's being compared is because both involve an entire group of people being discriminated on the mere basis of how they were born and it is a pretty recent civil rights issue that was taken care of, against the will of the people. I believe the African American civil Rights movement is the same as the gay rights movement, in the sense that majority groups are trying to prevent it from happening, but don't understand that our civil rights are individual, and no group can deny them.

• Julian Bond and Civil Rights

You Tube clip titled: Julian Bond: Gay rights are civil rights
    https://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=-fplYG2BEb0

No one is trying to compare gay civil rights to 400 years of slavery nor to 100 years of Segregation. Civil rights are not about how much you have suffered but about inalienable human rights. Would anybody on the NO side of this debate be OK if we made the distinction between civil rights and the Civil Rights Movement?

• Discrimination is discrimination

When you are denied civil rights it is a civil rights issue whether you were denied your rights because you are black, gay, Jewish, Muslim, transgendered, or whatever. There are more similarities than differences between how gay people are treated and how African-Americans are treated. And this doesn't get into those who are both gay and African-American.

• Yes, with some important differences.

The key differences are that blacks cannot easily hide the difference for which they are discriminated against and gays are almost never born into gay families.

This means that the blacks had and have a much more obvious and often more difficult path to acceptance, but are and were able to form supportive groups from birth. Gays, however, sometimes suffer only internally and live in a constant state of cognitive dissonance - they aren't born knowing they will be loved for who they are, and even some of the best parents, role models, and peers disparage these children unknowingly. If a gay person decides to live true to their sexuality (to thine own self be true, always!), they face similar circumstances to what blacks have had to experience - including arrest and physical abuse, even death.

At this point the biggest similarity between these two rights movements is continued institutionalized discrimination rather than overt abuse - although I am of the opinion that the consensus is it is far less politically correct to verbally abuse someone or use slurs for racial differences than for sexuality differences.

• When Hate Rules

Are we fighting for the RIGHTS granted others in our society. Yes I think it is a Right to be able to choose who I love and want to keep safe. I want to protect my lover IF I die first. I want him to be able to live in the same house , drive the same car and collect on insurance I've paid for. I want him to be able to be there in the hospital helping me in my time of need. I want him to have what we have built together without loosing it all to the Tax collector.
    Are the Laws "Jim Crow" laws? No. But if the "Moral Majority" had their way we would be just as bad off. I have seen the "Blacks only" water fountains in Alabama and can only shake my head to think that this happen. The cry from the pulpits those days where of hate for the black man and how he was so much less then them. Today we hear those same small minds CRY out yet again how we as GAY are so much less. Are we?
    Throw the ancient black book of magic and stories away and what excuse is there but HATE.
    If we could be easy to find , to pick out of a crowd we would be just as bad off as the poor blacks of the south.

• Yes yes yes

You cannot choose to be gay as you cannot choose to be black. Though the black rights movement was much more extensive, it reached a point where the argument "separate but equal" was central to true equality. I see much of the "separate but equal" argument in the form of gay rights today. Civil Union, not marriage. But you know they're the same.. Just different.
    Separate but equal is not equal. There are still strides to take.

• Similar, Yes, but not the same

I'm all for the rights for the LGBT community, but I feel like it shouldn't be compared to the struggles of the African American community in the 1960s.
    I feel this way because quite frankly, you can hide your sexual orientation I'm not advising that anyone do; personally I'm not homosexual so I can't speak for the feelings, confusion, or even pain you may be feeling if you're wrestling with something like this, but your sexual orientation isn't something you're constantly grilled about or forced to share. While on the other hand, your skin color is something you can NOT hide. You can't walk down the street denying your black, and for that reason I find the true and ultimate distinction.
    I hope one day the LGBT community reaches to point of equality, but it is not something that should be closely compared to the African American Civil Rights Movement.

• Of course not

Were gay people ever slaves?
    Were gay people ever sent to separate schools?
    Were gay people ever paid less for equal work?
    Were gay people ever sent to the back of the bus?
    Did African Americans ever have pride parades that?
    Were gay people ever opposed by armed forces?
    Has any member of the gay community ever been martyred?
    Have gay people been arrested for being gay?

I respect gay people and I think what they are going through is tough but NO I do not think that what is happening should ever be compared to the civil rights movement. They are on completely different levels.

• No it shouldn't.

I agree completely with pyromaniac. The African American movement was completely just and rightful and had to be done. While the gay movement is not completely just and does not have to be done. Plus, the problems with African Americans were way worse than they are/were with the gays. Just like what pyromaniac said: Were gays ever slaves? Were gays ever sent to different schools? Were gay people ever arrested for being gay? The list can go on, but what I've said now is good enough.

• Not even close

Yes, it is true that both have been "oppressed" but the level of "oppression" is much too dissimilar. Gays are sometimes, maybe name-called or even threatened for being gay, but they are not getting whipped, forced to do hard-labor, or any of the other myriad of horrendous acts that the African Americans faced. To compare the two is frankly very stupid and naive. Remember: the treatment of slaves is also compared to the holocaust. Thats what AA were fighting to overrule. To compare the Gay Rights Movement w/ the Holocaust/Slavery conditions is idiotic.

• The gay movement should not be compared to the African American Civil Rights Movement for several reasons.

Although there are similarities between the two, comparing the two can lead to serious problems.
    Firstly, although the purpose of both of them is to achieve equal rights, however they are both completely different situations. The African American movement was fighting to escape slavery, and as another person said, is compared to the Holocaust. On the other hand, the gay rights movement is a battle for acceptance and equal marriage rights- in other words, they are both fighting for equality but in different areas, and hence relying on past experience for this issue would be a disaster. After all, if people treat the gay rights movement the same as the civil rights movement, people will make quick conclusions about how to deal with the issue without considering that it is a different case. This leads me to the second point: the effects of both movements on society. The African American Civil rights movement has had many different effects on society, with black citizens being able to get equal jobs and equal voting opportunities. On the other hand, gay people are fighting to get married, which will unfortunately create conflict in society and many have noted it could lead to the children being bullied at school. There are many effects that need to be considered that differentiate from the African American Civil Movement; hence comparing them is to generalize and jump to conclusions without considering the gay rights movement from an unbiased angle.

• Not even close

The African American Civil Rights Movement involved actual rights being trampled on, the Gay "Rights" Movement, not so much. Don't get me wrong, I support SSM, however, marriage is not in any way a right, it is, at least in this setting, a government founded institution. Not a right. The movement to allow SSM should not be compared to the Movement to give Blacks equal rights as everyone else, real right, not invented rights. Again, I support SSM, but it is not a right, and comparing it to the Civil Rights Movements for Blacks only degrades the work and progress done on behalf of African Americans years ago.

• Choice is Yours!!!!

How do you compare the two? People of color where beaten, hung and ridicule for the color of there skin, not for who they choose to be with or act. The gay movement is not similar, due to fact they are looking for the same privileges that a traditional marriage provide, not the right to be who they are. I feel it's more financial, then it is anything else. In America, black people will continue to suffer at some point in there life just because of the color of there skin and a gay person will choose when they provide there preference.

• No, It should not.

1) The majority of homosexuals made the choice to be gay. Only a few are truly born that way (i.E hermaphrodites). African Americans are born with the 'black''pigment.

2) The LGBT Movement is not facing the same hardships the African American Civil Rights Movement faced. They are not running from dogs, being hosed down, or being beating and/or killed on the streets like animals. They do not have to sit at the back of buses, use different bathrooms or live in slums. They have good jobs available to them and have no fear when that their lives and families could be destroyed on the whim of a discriminator.

lucinordiche says2013-07-04T00:17:18.077
I simply cannot continue debating this topic. Not because people disagree with me (it's America ya hear?) but because the lack of knowledge, or willingness, in the responses. Do gays face adversity? Yes! And at an extreme level. Http://www.Fbi.Gov/news/stories/2012/december/annual-hate-crimes-report-released/annual-hate-crimes-report-released Sexual orientation is the second largest item that is targeted for hate crimes in 2012.

I could back up my claims with research but the best research I have is life and the discrimination I've faced in my daily life as a gay man. When I hold my boyfriend's hand in public, I get stared out or hurled insults. Some people have been beaten or killed for the same or similar heteronormative actions. In one time, people were arrested! (Do your research)

I hope everyone will consider watching documentaries about gay oppression, from Stonewall (and before) to gay transformation camp. It might open your eyes, or maybe not, but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, talk to your gay friends or family if you have any about their experiences...I'd be happy to discuss one on one that things I've seen and experienced and the many things my close friends have experienced.

I do not believe the black movement and the gay movement equate to each other but they are similar. The struggle is another story altogether. Though they are similar also, if you ask me.

I am not upset with anyone for being against gay "lifestyle", however, as Americans, we must respect equality and legal freedoms. To downplay the gay struggle and movement with no basis (asking -stupid- questions like Have gays ever been arrested for being gay?) shows a lack of willingness to accept the reality of the gay life. It is easier today than history has shown it to be in the past...But do we face struggle and harsh adversity? Yes. The downplaying on here shows me that the there is so much more work even still to do. And that's okay. You do not have to agree with me but I needed to get this out because I did take it personally for a bit (over it now) because it is my every day life. That is all.