Should the government adopt chained CPI when calculating Social Security benefits?

• This should be adopted

The government should adopt the chained CPI when calculating social security benefits and this would help out tremendously. This would be better for the tax payers and also for the recipients that receive social security. The politicians should take this step and come together to get something done that needs a resolution.

• Yes it should.

Social security is a joke. I can save my own money I don't need the government saving it for me. I am not stupid enough to spend my entire pay check when I know they could be gone tomorrow. At the very least they should pay a decent rate and try to keep up with inflation.

• No It Shouldn't

I do not believe the government should adopt chained CPI when calculating Social Security benefits. Using chained CPI would allow the government to lower payments or negate yearly raises based on changes of off-brand or cheaper alternatives, rather than the "standard basket of goods." This sounds like a good way to cheat the American people.

• No, I do not

I think the way that socia security benefits are handled is already a very good method and that it should not be changed. It should be kept. What should be changed is the fact that the government keeps dipping into social security monies and spending it on various other projects.

• The government should not adopt chained CPI.

The government should not begin calculating cost of living when determining social security eligibility. Instead, the government should offer private citizens the option to pay more into their social security funds, similar to way that citizens are able to pay more into their retirement funds. Additionally, citizens should be able to withdraw social security early in times of economic emergency.