Should the government be able to get our personal information through private companies?

• Nothing to worry about

I think it is selfish to think they shouldn't be allowed to. The government could solve crimes, find terrorists, and give us a safer community to live in if they have our personal information. If you are a good person who doesn't commit crimes and your not a terrorist, then they won't even go through your file and if they do, what do you have to worry about?

• Yes, the government should be able to but only to a reasonable point.

Yes, it would be ridiculous to say our government shouldn't have the ability to collect any personal information from private companies. It's important to remember where we came from and for most people in this country it was here. When we treat our government like the enemy and deny it any access to ourselves we are only hurting ourselves. I feel this way about unimportant information like census statistics and information that is useless to me but can help our country as a hole. As far as things like personal conversations and medical documents are concerned, I would be furious if my government started poking around that. Don't get me wrong, being an American shouldn't be looked at like a take-take relationship with our government but some take is just borderline abuse of power..

• Deez nuts ha

Gotie gotie gotie ha ha ha ha ha ha ha the eath is a beautiful place because of deez nuts so yeah deez nuts is love deez nuts is life so so so ssoooooo ha ha ah ha ha hah ha ha deez nuts ges what I got deez nuts bye

• We arent able to have any of their information so why should they have ours?

The united states is all about freedom and how do we have freedom if the government just has all of our private information? If we had any of their information or if we had access to their emails or text messages etc. we would get in so much trouble yet if they do it..Its ok? How is that ok? People have extremely personal pictures text messages emails notes etc that people just dont need to know about...If there is a suspect of a crime and the government needs to have access to their personal information for evidence..Thats different..But if the government has access to your information just for no reason then thats not ok...Americas all about freedom especially freedom of privacy and last time i checked thats not freedom of privacy...If the government has access to our information then america wont be america anymore

• I don't think so...

The big issue here is trust. After the NSA leaks I don't feel comfortable knowing that my private life can be exposed at any given time to some complete stranger... Without OUR consent. WE didn't ask to be spied on and looked at 24/7/365. But an even bigger question I have is... Who gets a hold of that information, and what/how much of it can/do they see?

Posted by: S.K
  • The Fourth Amendment states:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

• We want our freedom.

When you give your information to a private company, you don't know if they are going to give it to the government. Alternatively, the government could send them a subpoena to get the information, even if the company does not consent. It is scary that there is no way to be free from government spying on its own citizens. I'm turning into a truther in my old age.

• No, privacy is an important freedom.

No, let's put an end to government's access to citizens' private information. Our constitution forbids search and seizure without warrant. Therefore, allowing the government to access our information is unconstitutional. Private companies are using the information they've gathered to maximize their profits, while our privacy is violated. The government should have no part in this.

• Only In Certain Cases

The access to personal information should be as limited as possible. Only in the case of deliberate criminal activity, specifically in the case where other lives are in danger, should this apply. The government being able to force private companies to give up details on citizens is the height of the 'Big Brother' state.