Should the government be able to spy on its citizens?

• Youre an idiot

Chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great chad is great!

• No no no

As remember what Daniel Bryan had said before in the WWE, "NO NO NO" Absolutely no the government can not spy on us because it invades our privacy and makes us feel uncomfortable. The only reason the government should spy on us because if they think there's someone suspicious out there.

• Privacy or A Life?

Pro-
    • The Government prevents thousands of terrorist attacks every single year by programs that pick up key words.
    • They aren’t always listening to everyone’s conversations, only when there is reason to suspect something is wrong.
    • If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.
    • Not everyone wants there emails and texts to be read, but if it saves lives, wouldn’t you let them? The government wouldn’t really care about you wishing someone a happy birthday, they would disregard that, but its them saving people from potential terrorist attacks. Which is more important, Privacy or a Life?

• Privacy is not as important as someone's life

People seem to think that the government spying on people is invading their human rights. However, what do they think is more important? Is it the fact that they should have the privacy of wishing their mum a happy anniversary, which the government wouldn't even really care about, or is it the fact that the government are saving their lives from potential terrorist attacks? What is more important? Privacy or Life?

• I hope so.

I mean it'd be a pretty weak government, if it could not be organized enough to spy on local citizens; if it could not manage that, how could it hope to spy on other countries?

Let's see for filler... Southpark had it right, when Butters found out the government is always watching, and began praying to it, and asking it to look after his friends while they slept.

• It's Not The Spying That People Think...

When an issue like this arises, you need to look at both sides. The most recent report has shown that our surveillance has prevented "numerous plane crashes, suicide bombings, building bombings, and assassinations of people of high importance". And also, they say that in no way is this what people think it is. In fact, most surveillance is by machine looking for key words or phrases. It's not like your phone is being listened to by some agent. On the other hand, people should be able to say what they want without feeling like they are being watched. But here's what it comes down to: if you are not talking about something to do with a threat or attack on the United States, they don't have authority to listen to you. They can't bring you to court if you confess over the phone you killed someone... They are only looking for intelligence on national threats. This isn't as limiting to freedom as most people think. It helps much more than it takes away.

• What are you trying to hide?!!

The Government prevents thousands of terrorist attacks every singe year by programs that pick up key words. They aren't actively listening in to everyone's conversations. Only once there is reason to suspect that something is wrong will they first start listening in. Remember, the people that are scared are the one's that are trying to hide something!

• It depends on the type of spying

Lets think about this, i'm not saying i want my email to be read and everything i do to be watched but if it could save lives than why not. If the government is doing random search's in my house than that's a different story. If the government starts abusing its power to spy on its civilians like throwing them in jail for them doing something in their own home or putting cameras every where that would freak me out. Lastly its not like the government cares about the stupid stuff you do during the day like getting a new high score on flappy bird.

• If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to worry about.

People who disagree obviously have something to hide. If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about. The government will only be on the look-out for trouble-makers, terrorists etc. 50% of the citizens in USA disagreed with it with that statistic in mind it made the government more curious as to why they had a problem with it.

• Saving human lives are more important

When we vote no for this bill, we are missing a simple fact that if the government isn't looking for terrorists and keeping us citizens and our country safe just because us saying "we need privacy", our whole country will collaps under the foot of ISIS. PRIVACY OR SAFETY, I CHOOSE SAFETY.

• Screw the feds

The federal government has no right to know what im doing on my stuff. SCREW THE FEDS. ANARCHY. SCREW THE FEDS SCREW THE FEDS SCREW THE FEDS SCREW THE FEDS SCREW THE FEDS SCREW THE FEDS THATS ALL THANK YOU HAVE A NICE DAY GOODBYE ITS MY PRIVACY GOOD BYW

• That's crossing the border

There is a line between spying on citizens to find out who is a terrorist and putting tabs on non-suspicious people, so the government should not be able to do that. Also, we do not know what kind of information they have on us and that is not constitutional. If they are spying on me, I would at least like to know the tabs that they have on me.

• I have a right to privacy

If the police have to have a warrent to search my home, the government sure as hell shouldn't be allowed to "search" my home through my laptop or smart TV! When I read 1984 as a kid I thought it was insane that a situation like that could ever happen. Now look at America. It makes me sad to live in the land of the "free".

• Human Rights Act & Hackers

Article 8 of the Human Rights Act states that 'Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and correspondence.' Spying on innocent citizens clearly breaches this agreement and is completely unfair to the public. Personally, I also wouldn't feel comfortable with the fact that my private life could be exposed at any given moment. If the government stored data about us on computers, any talented hacker could find and use this information against any one. This could easily result in blackmail, and a clear breach of the safety of the community,

• If we let this happen, then the terror has already won

If you have nothing to hide, there is nothing to worry about. For now. But what of it in 10 years ? See the thing here is it may seem fine today, but there is nothing that prevents the system from going awry and tracking political dissidents or spying on CEOs or what have you. We would thus become exactly which we fight now.
    And considering the government itself has acknowledged that security measures have been mostly inefficient, well... If I have to die, I might at least die free. Freedom is worth dieing for. Oppression, dictatorship and intrusive governments are not.

• Where is the accountability?

To search someone's home, car, or personal effects the government must get a warrant. To get a warrant you must have probable cause. I feel as though communication should be treated the same way. I can say Kill and President in the same sentence and I guarantee someone reads this. Am I going to kill the president? Absolutely not. Now that I said it twice I would expect someone to read this and that acceptable, but then for them to follow me around and listen to everything I say without a warrant that is unacceptable.

• We lose our rights

This goes against our 4th amendment: no illegal search and seizure. Along with that our freedom and liberty are taken away. In the recent court case, Jones v. U.S., a man was being tracked for 28 days by the government WITHOUT a legal warrant. If this bill passes, the government is showing distrust to all of its people.

• We should have privacy

The government shouldn't invade our privacy like they are. The fourth amendment clearly states they have tp have a warrant to search your house, why not the same with our technology? You may have things on there you don;t want anyone to know, so why are they allowed to do this?

• NSA has failed to protect Americans already! There is a better solution.

Think about 9/11! The NSA has been around since the cold war, and combined with surveillance programs around the world under the UKUSA treaty, it has been spying on the citizens of the western world for decades. Why then has it failed to protect against the terrorist attacks? If it claims to protect against threats everyday, why do we never hear about it?
    It might catch some terrorists but you can't catch all of them by surveillance. I am not saying that it doesn't work, but that it doesn't work as well as it should. It's not worth the privacy that it sacrifices.
    The government should instead spend the billions of dollars to improve education to strengthen people's minds so that they don't fall prey to the dangerous ideologies of predatory terrorist organisations. (The biggest predator however is the government, with all its propoganda...)

• We are foolishly sacrificing our freedoms for fear.

Benjamin Franklin once said, “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” We have become so paranoid that we allow our fears to control us, and as a nation, we decide that pointing a gun at every potential terrorist is better than maintaining our rights as citizens. If we allow our liberties to be ripped from us so easily because of our paranoia and complacent ignorance, it won't be long until we surrender our freedom of speech for the "greater good".