Should the government be allowed to regulate video games?

• Yes they should be able to do that

Games are great but just like movies somethings should not be allowed nor put into the hands of young impressionable people.

I have played video games my whole life, I love them and always will play as long as I'm able to do so but to not have regulations over any industry that has as much influence as video games can have is not being responsible.

• Some restrictions of this medium are a good idea

I enjoyed video games as a kid, and still play a little today, but there are some that are violent and not suitable for young children. Granted, legally, it may not be possible; the Supreme Court ruled that California could not ban the sale of violent video games (2010). I think that decision was wrong.

Violent images do desensitize people and have negative effects on their behavior.

• No and i beleive that anyone who says yes is an idiot

I beleive that games should have a rating and people should have to be of a certain age to be able to purchase a certain rating. But the government was not created to control everyones lives. The purpose of government is to keep its citizens orgazined and safe. I beleive the government regulating video games any more than it already does is a breach of its powers. I hate to use s slippery slope argument but it is a slippery slope. I already forsee a future where government will control peoples lives as much as possible. I beleive people should stand up for their rights as much as possible, rather than being children who act like the government is their parent who knows best.

• Government Should Stay Small

As a grown adult and a citizen of the United States, I do not believe it is my governments duty to regulate video games. I believe the people who create games are fully competent in their duties and I also believe consumers will purchase what they want. A decent video game will rise to the top and the government has not business in the video game market, other than to ensure those that created the product, profit from it.

• It is Parents responsibility

Games have rating that are the exact same as movies except different letters. It's the parents job to figure out which games are good for their kid just like a movie. If your kid isn't allowed to watch an "R" rated movie then why buy him an "M" game? They give the same amount and it's not the video game indestries fault if you buy your kid a game they aren't mature enough to play

• It's an infringement of constitutional rights.

I love to play video games just as much as the next guy, and I can understand when my mom or dad don't allow me to buy a specific game, such as Splatterhouse (2010-PS3/XBOX360). But this level of control should not extend to the hands of government. They can have their opinions of games but they should not be able to say what games can and cannot be played. Doing so could -and most likely will- cause many game companies to go under and lose sales, causing even more unemployment, which is already a huge problem in the United States as of now.

• When regulations go too far

As an American citizen, I am afforded certain rights, i.e., freedom of speech and expression. Everyday, these rights are being tested and slowly eaten away at by the government. I believe that it would be direct violation of the Bill of Rights and Universal Declaration of Human Rights which states "everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice". Allowing the government to regulate video games would provide an opening to the destruction of these rights.

• The government should NOT be allowed to regulate video games.

One of the most basic rights in our American society is the right of Freedom of Speech. Video games are a form of media that expresses this right, no matter how undesirable some in the society may find their content to be. I believe that any attempt to impose such regulations would be, by the definition of the First Amendment, unconstitutional, in that it would violate our right to express what we believe, in the absence of doing harm to another individual.

• The government's role is to protect it's citizens rights, not coerce their actions or influence their behavior.

The primary role of government is to protect individual life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. It does so by protecting it's citizens on a domestic front through the establishment of a police force. Through the establishment of a military, it protects it's people from international threats at home and abroad. And with the establishment of a judiciary system, individuals have a means to settle disputes in accordance to laws without resorting to force.
    A good government should never intrude into the lives of it's people. A free people are free to do anything as g as it doesn't violate the rights of others.
    Playing video games doe not violate the rights of others. The government should not be in the business of regulating entertainment of any kind. We, the people, are in the Constitution, granted the right to the pursuit of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. So long as we are not harming or infringing upon anyone else's rights, how we pursue our happiness is not a government matter.
    The government needs to stay out of our living rooms.

• No, the government should not be allowed to regulate video games.

The government's role in society should not extend even close to the regulation of video games or other recreational materials. The government's primary responsibility is the protection of its people and their rights. Regulating video games would be completely contradictory of this responsibility, as it infringes upon the freedom of speech and expression.