• Why would a person care about someone snooping them?

Because it keeps us safe, it is fine. I would not really care if a random government agent was briefly looking at my internet search history. After all, I don't really care what somebody, who I don't even know, thinks about my search history.

I feel as if snooping on us would help work against internal attacks on the United States and other country, and as long as it does not effect my daily life in a bad way, I am perfectly fine with it.

• The government should be allowed to view citizens' internet use.

The role of the government is to protect the people it governs. Part of the protection comes in the form of Internet usage. The oversight of Internet usage should be restricted to only the protection of the citizens. An example is to monitor any terrorist activity within and without the borders of the country.

• The government has the right to monitor citizens' Internet use

Yes, I agree that the government should be allowed to snoop on citizens' Internet yes. As long as this power is not abused, and the government is acting in the interests of national security, the government should have this right in order to protect its citizens. I believe the government should monitor Internet use for highly dangerous activities such as terrorist plots.

• Warning Label for the Internet...Use responsibly

My employer has suggested that are considering putting a monitoring tool (spyware) on remote worker laptops. I am not sure how I feel about it. I do understand that it is their way of ensuring that they are getting the most from their investment in remote workers. If there are agreed upon expectations for behavior and usage, I am okay with the monitoring (spying). If the software is put on without our knowledge and/or the tool is used for other purposes, then I would not be comfortable with the spying. Another concern is--what happens to the data gathered? Will it be secured...Will it be stored for an extended period--if so, what will be stored?

I think that this example of workplace monitoring offers another way to consider the question of the government having the legal access to our internet search information. Personally, I view the USA as our (collective) country and it is our responsibility to ensure it's safety. If internet search data improves our security, then I am okay with it--under the same guidelines I listed above--knowledge of the practice and boundaries set. Now, the other shoe--drops--THUD! Unfortunately, trust is the elephant in the room that we have not been able to overcome. I think the two competing thoughts on this are too extreme. I do not believe that my civil liberties are being violated by sharing my internet search data--so, I am not in that camp. Further, I have nothing to hide...Although, I am not completely convinced that I have nothing to fear because government's are notorious for misusing this kind of data. For example, I am a firm believer in gun rights and I do not want the government targeting me because I exhibit behaviors that put me on a "watch list". It is very much a "slippery slope" issue and in my estimation it is already happening and the legalities of it will be argued case by case. This is a two way street...The public needs to be responsible and trustworthy and the government should as well.

So, bottom line is that the ethics of the practice are not acceptable because the ends are legitimate. However, are the means ethical and legal? We don't have a definitive answer on that...So, I would have to say that it is must be called unethical for that reason alone. This is the same argument used in tracking our phone data. I don't have anything to hide, but I do have things that I want private. My behavior should remain private, UNTIL I have crossed a line (a legal line)--two very stark examples are--child porn and human trafficking. Both of these are at epidemic levels and are completely enabled by the internet. Should they be allowed to operate with impunity because law enforcement and other authorities cannot be allowed to use the internet search data. Personally, I think it should be allowed to be used--responsibly.

• Like it or not

Like it or not they are going to snoop, If they want to snoop so be it. Besides if they find something on my computer that I shouldn't be doing then it sucks to be me. Especially if it is illegal or will cause harm to the U.S. citizens or the country. If they threats are coming from over seas or another country and someone in the U.S. is helping that country then big brother should snoop. Even still if they do snoop and see you are not doing anything illegal

• Safe than sorry?

They arent doing it to be just snoopy. Rather you like it or not, they're doing it for good reasons. Trust me, the government has much more things they rather be doing. I rather them be looking then legitimate hackers who will release our information. Yes, I want my privacy to, but I want to be safe and continue to sleep peacefully at night knowing that someone is taking care of us.

• Not without MY permission...

And I'm pretty much saying No to any government agency, or our government itself, tracking my day-to-day virtual life because it pretty much gives a reason for just any random person to look over what websites I've visited and my login activity, and to me that's just a little creepy. Plus, how is my internet activity being stored and who has access to it?

I can see this becoming more of a problem in terms of our privacy in the future and how much we let our government snoop in on our daily lives. Regardless of the fact that yes, it can be a good thing safety-wise, limits should be set. If our government came out one day and said "We're going to install cameras in every room of every home" that's a clear violation of privacy in general and it makes the government look like stalkers because they could essentially look in on every aspect of your life (eating, changing, having sex, etc.). It may not seem bad in reality, but again, limits need to be put in place beforehand so nothing goes out of line.

Posted by: S.K
  • Not how the NSA does it now.

The NSA is completely reckless, tracking everyone's online activity, keeping vast amounts of data just in case it comes in handy. It isn't just Americans who are affected by this, but people from outside the US. I have the right to a private life and the NSA does not respect that with the amount of Internet snooping it currently engages in. In order to look at even the tiniest snippet of Internet activity, a government authority should have to obtain a warrant through similar methods to gaining a warrant to search a house or for arrest.

• Where is our privacy?

Just like the government supposedly wanting to check people's smartphones, I have the same opinion, no, unless the person is suspect of wrongdoing. And a warrant would have to be issued. They can't just say, we are the government, hand over your computer now. Invasion of privacy, not going to happen.

• No they shouldn't

Unless they have a good, probable reason to snoop, they should not. If someone has offences related to internet crime, has affiliations with terrorists or things like that, then I understand it. They don't need to monitor the regular civilians, that is just ridiculous and makes me feel like I can't have any privacy.

• Im feelin like dony kones

Im feelin like a dony kones right now cwecibwcbhb jc j j j j j j j j j jj j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j

• We Need Privacy

America was based on freedom. Not the gov spying on us. Its ridiculous. We have a right to privacy. The gov needs to stay out of our business. Because thats just it, its OUT business. Not their. We are citizens here, they should not treat us like the enemy. They need to butt out.

Posted by: D.14
  • Allow me the right to search

In principle no. Freedom to roam the Internet without big brother watching is a right. Obviously, the sites that you frequent should remain within the constraint of the law, however, the history of these sites should not be available to a government agency. Furthermore, this should be also extended to private companies without consent. The big issue for the next generation will be that there whole identity, thoughts and feelings could be tracked through the sites they frequent and social media used. The question will eventually be, is the Internet a public or private forum?

• Monitoring should be limited

If you support the statement I think this imply you will agree to government snooping your phone calls, your text messages, even your geolocation and your conversation...Because these can help prevent terrorism.

Besides, the definition of abuse is vaguely defined. The government can monitor your activity and save it indefinitely because they believe "it can help prevent terrorism" for whatever reasons (inc. Political). Hence, government which vowed to protect citizen's rights should inhibit their infringement and monitoring.