• They should have a say

I think to many people are fat and dying and it is sad and nasty and I read an article about women dying like at age 50 to 60 because they are so fat. It is a major problem and kids are getting fat and dying also. They are dying at age 8.

• Yes, tax unhealthy foods, subsidize healthy fruits and veggies.

People claim that government should have no say in diets out of ignorance, lack of logic and reason. It costs the state more and it hurts the wellbeing of a nation collectively if a large portion of the populace is vastly unhealthy. It is not to strictly ban foods but rather encourage healthy eating and tax those that statistically will cost the nation more through unhealthy eating (statistically they will cost far more then a healthy individual, this includes smokers)

• Government should have say in our diets when so many people are eating unhealthy, and putting their lives and their children' lives in danger.

The government is fighting a new war, and it's called obesity. It drains money to care for the increased diabetic population, increased cardiovascular problems, to build new structures to bear the weight of the obese population: bigger hospital beds/scanners, bigger seats, access ramps everywhere for whose are unable to walk because they can't carry their own weight. It is the duty of the government to protect its people and to fight this war.

Posted by: NWinters

Food should just be checked, not that they should tell us what we can and cannot eat, they need to kick out the fattening ingredients and people need to realize it's gonna effect them in the long run. Obesity is killing us, and if you yourself won't stop eating, who will?

• Absolutely

i think the government should control our diets to some extent because sometimes our own dietary choices can be of a negative nature.I know i may be a middle school student, but our opinion matters too!!!! There are some obeses students here and if the government controlled their diet to some extent they would eat healthier and maybe even lose a good bit of weight.

• Yes they should

The govermerment should have the right to dictate in what young people eat because over the years people have become overweight due to fast food companies etc. Mcdonalds, KFC, Dixy and many more. NHS are having to cater for more and more people. When this happens, the customers blame the fast food companies. On the plus side, Imagine a world with everybody healthy and hospitals wouldn't have to cater for any sick people. It would just be great!

Posted by: LOG

The government is supporting the people by trying to give us a healthier lifestyle. 35.7% of American adults are obese now. Thats more than one in every three people. Thats an epidemic. A simple way to combat that? Monitor our eating habits. APPARENTLY we cannot be trusted not to chug a gallon of Pepsi in one sitting, but by the gov. not allowing the sale of 17+oz of soda one would cut 60, 70, 80 grams of sugar a sitting. Because seriously, why do you need to drink more than 16 oz of soda at one time in the first place?

• yes

I belive that the government should have a say in our diets because some people cant stop themselves if there are maybe over weight even in the slightest because people love food and if the government takes away a right to really unhealth foods then the amount of bigger people will fall.

• Many Americans have no self control over themselves when it comes to some food choices

In most cases when American citizens hear that the government needs to regulate their food, they reply in an overzealous act of ignorance. In my opinion people need to be regulated. 60% of all Americans are either overweight or obese. Over 25% of Americans consume fast food every day. Those two facts are a recipe for disaster. Some (most) people cannot control themselves over long term "healthy" decisions.

• Saving the Nation

Many people will argue that it is freedom of choice to eat whatever you want but the government has a right to interfere with that freedom if it is infringing upon the rights of others. I am not saying that if someone is eating unhealthy it is going to eliminate another person's freedom but it does affect everyone in the nation. With a rising number of people with poor diets, the number of people suffering from obesity rises also. Obesity can cause a person many medical complications in their lifetime. These medical complications mean that there will be more trips to hospitals which can cause insurance rates to go up, affecting a large number of people. Obesity also causes other expenses for the nation such as needing to pay for larger seats, hospital beds, etc. to fit the rising number of obese individuals. And to all of you who say that Michelle Obama should mind her own business-you should be grateful that she is more concerned for your well being than you are for yourselves. And just so you know, go back to middle school history class-the First Lady doesn't make or pass the laws, Congress does.

• It is my choice.

I do not need the government telling me what to eat. I eat healthy by my choice. Most of us, at least in America, are educated well enough to distinguish between what foods are good for us and foods that aren't so good for us. So I choose to eat healthy because it fits my active life-style and I enjoy my figure. If someone wants to ruin their life by eating constant junk, then let them, it's their choice. While today the government may only have a say in our diets, tomorrow the government will control them. Personally I view my self as an adult, and with adulthood comes the heavy-weighing decision of how I will diet.

• NO

If we let the government control what we eat we'll just be back in the 1700's when they put taxes on our stuff. So they'll only be worsening America because that's only going to encourage that we eat junk food so that's why I say no.

• People have shown they haven't Got the skills to make the right health choices

50% of the population are overweight. There is simply too much tO know these days that people can't know it all. Those who do have nutritional knowledge should be employed to ensure food is always nutritional and not damaging to people's health.

• NEVER have government control the USA.

The USA is supposed to be a free country and not a dictatorship like president Obama has created it. If people want to ruin their lives and get to be overly obese well then they should have the freedom to be able to do what they wish.This should apply to if someone wants to go to McDonalds or go home and eat a healthy meal at home it should be their choice.

• Government involvement in American Diets

The government has noticed that many Americans are obese. Many politicians are coming up with legislations to try and solve the problem. But they are trying to fix it by making laws against things, or banning them. They want to regulate what we eat. Is that against our amendment rights? The government wants to tell us how we should do things, but is that fair? It’s our lives, shouldn’t we be the ones who decide what we eat? If the government wants to get involved, they shouldn’t force, what we eat or drink.
    The government has already caused enough problems. One of the reasons that people are becoming obese, is actually due to the government trying to regulate things. The government tries to regulate agriculture, that’s why agriculture has become industrialized. Although it did seem good at first, we now realize that it is actually doing more harm than good! The industrialization of agriculture has a terrible impact on land, livestock, and the workers who work the land. Industrialization of agriculture uses industrial chemicals which increases pollution in the water and atmosphere. It also uses huge amounts of water and energy. Not only does it have a huge impact on the environment, but it also affects the people living near the area. The living conditions have been deteriorating and its partly due to the industrial agriculture. We have also found that since the industrialization of agriculture, there’s been a rise in food born illnesses and obesity. The government helped start the obesity epidemic, and now they are trying to find a way to fix what they’ve done. It sounds good, but will it work or just make things worse.
    Will the things they try to implement even make a difference? In New York, the local government has already started trying to put an end to obesity. The State Assemblyman, Felix Ortiz, introduced a bill that would ban the use of salt in all restaurants in New York. Mayor Bloomberg has already banned the sell of all soft drinks above 16 oz. Will that even make a difference? Customers will still be able to get refills, so why limit the size of soft drinks? That’s not the main cause of obesity. Studies have shown that there has been a ten percent decrease in the sell of soft drinks, yet obesity still increases. The government is trying to help, but that’s kind of hard when they’re not sure what’s causing it. It’s great that the government is trying to help, but what difference is it really going to make.
    Many people believe the government should step in because it’s affecting the price of health care. The price of health care is expensive because so many people have diabetes. The most common form of diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, is easy to avoid if you eat right and exercise, and that’s what the government is trying to enforce. Unfortunately, the direction they’re going isn’t going to make a difference. To actually have an affect, they’d have to require what you can and cannot eat. They’d have to set a national standard, which wouldn’t work either. How could they possibly know each individuals needs? They want the children to grow up being healthy, but they can’t set one standard for all of them. It wouldn’t make all kids healthy, because they grow at different rates, and everyone‘s metabolism is different. Yet, this is the direction they are headed. How can they regulate what we eat when they don’t know each individuals needs?
    We live in the United States of America, we are a free people, aren’t we? We have agency and the right to choose: where we live, what we wear, what our occupation is, and what we spend our money on. We’ve been able to choose what we eat and how much; however, the government now wants to tell us how. They’re taking away are agency. For some people this may not seem to be a big thing, but what’s next? Are they going to tell us where to work, what to wear, or where to live? Where does it stop? We know ourselves better than anyone else, so why should the government tell us how to live our lives? It’s simple, they shouldn’t. If we truly live in a land where everyone is free, then they shouldn’t be telling us how to live our lives.
    In conclusion, the government shouldn’t get involved. We live in a free land, where we are given the right to choose how we live our lives. The government shouldn’t be able to tell us what to do. Especially when they don’t even have all the details! They’ve caused enough problems as it is. Are we going to allow them to keep making more? They can give advice, but they can’t force you to eat their diet. Instead of trying to pass laws to ban things, they should try to find ways to encourage healthy lifestyles. The government shouldn’t get involved in a way that take away peoples rights. Their involvement may seem small; however, when they mess up, it isn’t small at all. They try to help everyone at once by forcing things to happen. If they encouraged things to happen with the help of big companies, we might actually be able to turn around the obesity deficit, but not by force. You can’t force people to do something because most of the time they just rebel. Force is never the way. The government should not force the American people to have certain diets.

• Health Food Hurts

Some people, like my mother, can't eat healthy food because it gives them pain and other problems. Take away the junk food and she would starve.
    Also, if people want to eat unhealthy food, go ahead and let them. It's a free country! I support eating healthy, but the government shouldn't have so much say over what we do. I good way to get people to eat healthy would be to lower the price of fruits and vegetables so that lower income families can afford it.

• No But

They should display signs that say the facts, Like McDonald will clog your little gentle baby heart, so be safe. Or maybe like You kill and murder all these little chickens for your chicken nuggets and there actually sad when you do it, so have a brain don't act insane. or how about look to the person next to you (pause) do they have a weight problem, and then spew off some facts about dying a sad painful death from eating to much Americanised cheap, plastic, toy food. Or maybe we can leave it like it is and let the ad companies make you feel like its your choice to eat absolutely the nastiest food you can think of, simply to make a profit of your stupidity.

• It's childish of the government

It is very childish for the government to decide what we can and cannot put in our bodies. If I want to eat and get fat then it is my choice and if I die then it is my own fault. While I do not believe the government should not decide what we can and cannot eat. Once we get the proper education on how foods effect our body (health class) it is up to us to decide if what we want to eat.

• No, it would act as a gateway

The government controlling what we eat would act as a gateway, or catalyst, towards the government controlling every aspect of humanity, leaving us with little, if any, free will. Soon the government would begin to control how much electricity we can use in a day because of increasing argument for saving the environment, or even as far as controlling the way we dress because this leads to crime and/or violence.. As you can see everything can have valid convincing reasons so once we accept one aspect of control- the diet what will stop us from agreeing to other ideas increasing the governments control over us, they may seem valid and useful at first, but then we will end up with no free will at all.

• No, they should not.

I personally have a weight problem, and its not because of over eating, however its MY problem, not the governments, and I WILL choose how to handle, actually I'm doing pretty good handling it, and no help from the government, I dont pay much attention to them, they have failed me too many times.