• The government should help.

The government should help because I have family members that live on the streets and they have mental disabilities. Some cant work for them selves and they need there medication to live. I truly believe that with some help they can get back up on there feet and start to work again.

• Absolutely

The government is for the people, not just those who have made the best decisions and made no mistakes. our country has enough resources that none of its citizens should be without a home. they may have made mistakes and may not be completely sane or have job skills, but they are human, and many simply need a helping hand or a second chance. It is the governments duty to help them.

• We are all people and deserve

To have a place where we can call home and not a matures under a high way. U have to think some homeless people served our country and are there because when they came back they had nothing. Some homeless people deserve homes and not where they are now. Once you fall it's hard to get back up.

• The government should do more for the homeless.

The true measure of a society is how it treats it's most vulnerable members. Therefore, the government should be doing much more than it is for the homeless population. It's absolutely shameful that in a country as wealthy as ours, we have citizens living on the streets. They need help and understanding, and they need it from their government.

• If it were you.

If you were the one who was sitting outside in the cold night laying on the hard cement floor wouldn't you want help. I do know the people who are currently living in boxes sure do want help. They might look bad and smell bad but who cares? They are living in the same world that you are living in they are humans just like us. Do not treat them differently just because they live in a box in the middle of the sidewalk and you live in a nice warn house. They are in pain right now some can't even afford for their families. Imagine if you couldn't afford for your family? What if you had to see your children live through the winter freezing and not being able to do anything? You would feel bad wouldn't you? And what would make you feel worse is that some people are not kind enough to hand you a water bottle or a little bit of money so you can start affording for food. But together we can help the homeless. We can end hunger and homelessness everywhere we go. All we have to do is give a little love. Give a little love to all races, all people even if you are black, white, purple, or blue WE ARE ALL EQUAL.

• Helping the homeless

Can we shed a light on reality. I am not homeless but very soon to be. I live i a room in pennsylvania. I am not a materialistic person. Being thrown from place to place as a child, growing up with some bad choices, i was unable to gain employment. I did learn how to sell make drugs in the prison system but that is for another debate. Currently i surf craigslist hoping to find jobs day to day. So when people say it can happen to anyone, out here i have seen dentists, doctors, cops, working people washing in public bathrooms, sleeping under a bridge or in tents or worse cardboard boxes or nothing. People who pray that they would die today. People with no help. And the goverment locks them up. WHAT!!!!! Wait so now they pay to house this vagrant in a place they send murderes rapists violent people and then they adapt to their environment and become the only thing left, a criminal. Anyway look, it all boils down to people helping people. When you pass a person who looks in need pass them a couple bucks, get to know them. Maybe you have resources that may help financially maybe a connection for a job. Anything i know someone will read this and say bullchips or something but in reality some people want a home others they want to run the streets, regardless of preferences everybody wants to put a key into their locks and turn the door knob and walk into their very own home. So if your a street runner and always on the go, you know what it is like to lay your head on rocks and newspaper or sleep behind buildings by air conditioning units, they produce heat and a place to be hidden from police who only want to see their family in the morning. Or how about this sleeping in an abandoned building with nothing, no blanket, no food, nothing to drink, no restroom freezing praying that cops wont arrest them. Having to sleep out on a bench, i mean come on we are humans. We didnt ask for this life we just wanted something better, crime doesnt pay but we all gotta eat. Wanna lower crime rate, house the homeless. Then work out the kinks. People we need each other. Not section 8 or some government agency. People were meant to lead each other. Not governments deciding for us. Who to help who not to help endless paper work no hope desperate, all this because face it greed. Chasing the almighty dollar.

• Where are good parents now days ?Times are harder for our children to get a good start in life's real world.

I believe parents should help they're child when they are 16 to get them to interviews, work and school if they cannot afford a used car for them or get a monthly bus pass. Don't put pressure on them when they are getting they're education. There is a lot of parents who think they can make if they kick them out on the streets once they graduate. Guess what you parents are causing a lot of societies problems. Think about that one.

• We need real solutions.

Society is the responsibility of all those who live within the society. We are the society; therefore, the homeless are our responsibility. Society or civilization can not fail those who are less fortunate. I was thinking that a southern military base that is no longer in operation might be a good place to house homeless. Doctors and psychologists could be available for assistance to those in need. It might also be a good idea to have the residents farm and create a distribution of responsibilities. There just might be a chance that a good program could actually help homeless re enter society as productive members. Our government sure knows how to use our military bases to train our fine military so that they may go to s foreign land and kill their brother man in order for big business to build McDonalds, Starbucks and other American interests. I hope my idea will fall on the proper ears and someone or some group might actually develop this into reality

• Not all people are the same, and are you sure we are wasting money?

While I understand what people are saying when they describe how they believe that any homeless/jobless who is offered any type of monetary assistance may abuse it. (mainly focusing on the abuse of alcohol and drugs) and how others believe that the government helping them would waste OUR money. I have to say, that on many accounts, many homeless definitely do abuse that money by purchasing drugs, however, not all homeless are there to take your money and get wasted. Many people are struggling to maintain any decency of what was left of their previous life. That's all I will say on that. Now onto how helping them and how it is a waste of money. Did you know... That in order for a State government to house and maintain a homeless family is actually cheaper than not doing anything? While I don't know how I would properly word that in writing, I have recently learned that in order to maintain a homeless individual as is. Meaning leaving them on the streets to live for themselves is actually around $12,000 more than what the government would pay for them to be house and cared for for about a year. I'll try and find the article in which I read that and link it if anyone is curious

• No the governement should not thelp the homeless.

When one person thinks of homeless, the first image that usually comes to mind is that of the beggars walking around looking for charity. One must remember that these people generally refuse to hold down a job. Any actual disabled person, would qualify for disability, thereby gaining a steady income which could pay for rent. The truth is the homeless people like being homeless, they don't like working, and most all take that change you give to buy malt liquor. Even at my local homeless shelter where I have volunteered, they all sat outside the gates drinking, with no cares in the world. The government should not support these people's drinking habits with our tax money. Not to mention all homeless people already qualify for food stamps, emergency medicaid, and can get any life saving treatment at a hospital without ever paying the bill, they just need a 9.00 a month PO Box to get benefits. If they can't stop spending that money on beer even for just a few days, they don't deserve our support.

• Less $ for the homeless = less homeless people

There are so many so-called 'homeless' people to whom if support systems were taken; would suddenly become 'capable'. I have known of at least one such person. This individual laughed at the all of us who drag out of bed and head to work everyday. This person is in their early 30's and takes advantage of everything from welfare to his parents' basement. I lump social systems in with the homeless problem. If we chose not to spend our wealth to support those with their hands out - the vast majority of these leech-humans would suddenly and miraculously find themselves working out solutions for survival on their own. My 2 cents.

• No, the government should not provide help to the homeless.

The government should "promote the general welfare," not provide it. Government should be limited at every possible opportunity. A government which provides aid destroys the society it is built on by encouraging its citizens to simply think, "The government will take care of them, I don't need to worry about it."

• Do not agree

It is not the government responsibly to take care of people, they are not babies. The homeless have arms and legs that god gave them to work. They just don't want to overcome because they are just lazy. They once had a good life but the decided to take a different direction.

• They suck up money

Homeless people can work but they choose not to because if they could not work because of a disability they could get a disability check from the government. Most of them are drunks and drug addicts anyway so if you do give them money they will most likely go waste it on drugs or liquor.

• People become dependent

Too many programs make it easy for homeless and jobless to depend on the government. That way they don't have to go out on their own and find a job, so they will be relying on the government more. Help them find a job, Don't just feed them a fish.

• We are spending too much money on them

They spend money on the things they don't need, and when they do need something the government gives a lot of money, plus our national debt is already at 17 trillion dollars which is a lot of money,, for that to decrease is actually impossible. And for the government to spend that much money would not be a smart idea

• Citizenship of course.

Technically, homeless people are not citizens of the united states because they are not legally recognized by the State and Commonwealth. Ergo, they do not pay taxes and are not recorded on the census. The government can not provide for people out of its jurisdiction. That is why the government should not help the homeless

• Wasting Our Money$

I disagree that the government should be raising our taxes because the homeless people are using our money for drugs and liquor. Also because citizens that aren't homeless without too much money will go homeless due to tax raising. Homeless people should be responsible enough to be educated and get their own jobs.

• Wasting Our Money$