Should the government limit rights and liberty?

Asked by: student23
  • Yes it is necessary.

To live in a society you must give up certain rights. The right to powerful weapons (like nukes) building unstable buildings, and murdering and stealing and a small portion of your labor (taxes). These things keep society running. However, I do believe that things like freedom of speech should be expressed to the fullest extent policy, and you should always say exactly what you want whenever it is appropriate, and while I may not agree with what you say, I would be more upset if you were prevented from saying it. I would be a hundred times more upset if the government killed Ray Comfort or Richard Dawkins for speaking their minds, than I would if creationism was introduced to the classroom.

• This is Really Vague

This is so vague its to the point of silliness. The government already limits our rights. (We can't murder, steal, etc) Governments must balance freedom with order. So, yes they should limit our rights because it maintains our freedoms and ultimate balance in the world. Also, I think this needs to be rephrased.

• To an extent, yes.

There are some impositions on our rights and liberties that are and should be accepted because they promote public safety. For instance, shouting "fire" in a crowded theater is not protected speech under the first amendment; neither is fraudulent advertising. However, the limitations on our rights should be as small as possible.

• Yes they should limit our rights.....

The US Supreme Court has stated that the government in some circumstances may be allowed to limit individual rights, specifically freedom of speech and freedom of the press. In general, there must be an even balance of individual rights, the rights of others, and the common good of everyone in a community.

• Because i feel like it

Because i feel like it and i clicked the no button that is why i think the goverment should limit rights and liberty no questions just i do no o i ii i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i

• The Gov. is not God

If you did not notice, the people in government are humans like you and I. What makes them so almighty and powerful to pick and choose what rights you have? I am an Atheist, but Jesus taught people to be anarchists, which is why the Roman government killed him. If I don't want to pay taxes or "benefit" from any government programs, why should people force me too?

• The government shouldn't be allowed to limit our rights

Our rights are already limited. So I guess if they limit it more than they're taking away part of our rights and freedom. I believe that if we respect our rights and freedom, there shouldn't be any problems. If they think that the chart is perfect, why would they edit it??