• Lunches Should Be Regulated

The government needs to regulate lunches. We need to make sure that students have a nice variety of options for lunch. More importantly, they need to make sure that their are nutritional options and that both students and parents are aware of them. I don't mind the government getting involved.

• Government Should Regulate School Lunches

Child obesity is a rising crisis in our nation. Michelle Obama had a great idea starting the My Healthy Plate plan. We cannot afford to have the children of our nation eating the high-sodium, high-fat, and low-fiber meals that are found in most cafeterias. Fries, pizza, chicken nuggets, sugary foods, etc. There is nothing healthy about any of those things. The human brain cannot function on a diet like that. How can we expect our children to perform in schooling at optimal rates with a bad diet?
    And yes, maybe we should ban sugar from our children's diets. It does nothing good for them.
    If the government does not stipulate the quality of school foods, no one else will.

• Yes.The food is unhealthy.

My peeps got the wrong idea they need to regulate it CORRECTLY.Tfyfyfyyfyfyfyfyfyfyfyfffff h h h ha h. H hh h h h. Ha. H h h h I ju. Ju jubilant j h. Go g. Hu h. H g g g h h hub. He gg gg gg hi bob.

• Well .... The governments regulation...I don't know.

They made pizza a vegetable.I mean...Really?! Broccoli would work just fine.Or a salad bar would be nice.We need a green veggie a fresh fruit like an apple not a fruit cup.As well as a protein and a grain.So yes we need regulation but they need to figure out what to consider a healthy choice.

• Athletes are Hungary

The Government Should Not Be in Control of our lunches! The government should not be in control of lunches, because even if they cut down the food we eat people will eat even more food and consume more calories! So if people are going to eat more because their cutting down the food we eat, whats the pointof cutting the food budget?
    Report Post

• Yes they should

They need to monitor this so that kids don't become obese. Obesity is a rising problem in the united states, and we don't need more kids being obese. A a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a duh we should ! !

• Yes they should

• Yes... Well some

Schools should be able to regulate school lunches. I know school food it yucky and I dont mean they should be serving gross food but healthy food can taste good too. They should let kids get seconds if they want but they should have healthy options and maybe require one healthy piece of food (fruit or vegatable) along with some source of protein so that children learn to have a balanced meal and they get the nutrition they need to grow. In no way should they be limited because one child may need more food then another, I just think they should be taught healthy eating habits and they schools should be required to offer food that helps them practice those eatings habits.

• I think the government should regulate school lunches.

Because in some schools you have to pay for lunch and some parents can't afford paying there child's lunch so if the government doesn't regulate schools lunches they probably take it out of the teachers pay or they might just raise the prices up that way student's can pay so I think the government should regulate school lunches.

• Many students are still growing.

Without the proper calorie intake students, and kids cannot grow. I completely disagree with the regulations that the government is putting on the school lunches. Coming from a fellow student I go to school get good grades, then I don't eat the lunches and go home hungry. I am an athlete and I do not support the regulations on school lunches.

• The food is nasty!

With athletes it's hard to get the food that we need to sustain our bodies when we are only allowed so much food, especially if the food is gross because then we don't eat it and it's just a waste for all that food and controversy. I know that with me personally I eat about 30% of the my food and throw the rest away! It is just plain nasty and I'm tired of it. When I come to school I expect a good meal that I will ENJOY!

• Absolutely not. Michelle Obama is wrong!

Kids can eat what they want to eat. It's not the government's job to tell kids what they can and can't eat, it's the parent's. Parents need to be more aware of what their kids are eating in school, not the government. Michelle Obama is ruining my school lunches with her stupid healthy plan.

• Not this government

The same one that recently classified pizza as a vegetable? Thanks, but I'll pass. It's conceptually a wise idea to have school provided lunches regulated to a point that kids aren't eating garbage (back when I was in high school you were allowed to buy a giant pile of fries and nothing else if y wanted), but keep these chumps away from forming a plan.

• Government does not need to regulate school lunches.

First of all, food is getting wasted because kids don't like the food, so why tell them what to eat? If the kids actually liked what they ate then there wouldn't be so much food getting wasted. Second of all, kids only eat once at school. It's not like they are going to get fat because the food isn't completely healthy. Seriously, let the kids choose whats for lunch.

• Let me think about it.....HELL NO!

I'm sorry, but with all of the problems going on, we are seriously worried about how many calories kids are eating in school? This hasn't been a "problem" until the recent year or two. It's just another excuse for more government control. What's wrong with kids simply brown bagging their lunches, or going home for lunch? Oh wait, then there's less control over the kids' lives! Seriously, deal with the other problems, such as the debt that the kids are inheriting, rather than what they eat for lunch.

• NO, the government should not control our lunches or what we eat.

Kids are getting tired of the healthy eating not to say it is not good for you its just we need more sweets and more meat.If we do eat healthy they just give us a little of food and then we go home hungry Some kids cant efford to bring their own food at.

• No, No, No!

As an elementary school kitchen manager I will tell you, the kids throw away the majority of the food we are mandated to give them. Right now, they MUST have either a vegetable or fruit on their tray. Well, the custodians comment that the garbage is much heavier now, due to all the apples & oranges in the pails! Come Sept. 2014 all bread/breading must be whole wheat/grain. Have you ever had a boneless chicken wing or nugget with whole wheat breading? It's not good! To comply with all the new regulations, prices will be increasing substantially. Our only option soon will be to opt out of the government subsidized program. Which means we will not have to follow government regulations, but will also not be reimbursed for the free & reduced meals we serve to children of low income families . We have always practiced "moderation not elimination," and will continue to do so. It is the parents responsibility to monitor what their children eat not the government.

• Definitely not a good idea

I am an athlete and play 3 sports during school and to make it through practice I constantly have to snack through out the day. I'm not saying that its a bad idea to encourage more vegetables and fruit but we also need more protein and carbs to give us energy for the rest of the day.

• The Government Should Not Be in Control of our lunches!

The government should not be in control of lunches, because even if they cut down the food we eat people will eat even more food and consume more calories! So if people are going to eat more because their cutting down the food we eat, whats the pointof cutting the food budget?

Anonymous says2013-02-27T05:52:45.653
Well, I do believe children should try to become healthier, though it may take a biiiitttt of a change. They will soon learn how eating healthy is good for them though! :)
Anonymous says2013-07-01T18:23:51.270
This is not about teaching healthy habits, this is a power grab by the government. It is not just lunches that they will control. Already, breakfast is also being provided in some school districts with talk about providing dinner as well. When will kids ever be with their family. When will they be able to actually learn about eating healthy. I work with youth already and by the time they graduate they could not tell you what was healthy about the breakfast of the lunch that was provided. Now, this power grab will also take away opportunities to learn how to shop, how to grow food, how to prepare and cook food. Give it a generation and these kids that will become adults will not know how to shop, cook, or eat healthy. And they will blame the schools for not taking care of their kids. And guess what the government will be glad to step in and solve more issues that we have not foreseen yet. Soon enough, parents will not be allowed to raise kids. When will parents take the responsibility? When will we stop letting the government invent problems or at least convince us that they are the only ones that can solve it. Beware what you ask for by letting the government program take more control over the family life and your children's lives. They may not be able to take care of themselves and will be willing to give more power to the government than you already have. Say NO to regulated meals by the government.