Should the government regulate violent video games?

• Totally we should regulate

Bruh every mass murderer was addicted to video games(violent ones) and that's not right so ya we should regulate unless u want your kids to kill you like adam lanza so i rest my case it is obvious that video games are bad I'm done nothing else to say k

• Violent video games should be regulated by the government!

Games like GTA are full of sex, prostitution, drugs, horrible language and tons of violence. Those kind of games shouldn't be sold to the public because of how bad they are. I have seen 8 year olds buy games like Call of Duty and GTA and I hate that. So I say violent video games should be regulated by the government!

• O my god

Yall stupid. ..... .. .... . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• O my god

• O my god

• It's not the government's choice...

It shouldn't be the government's choice whether or not someone buys/plays violent video games. Even if that person is a minor. If the person is under 18, it should be the parent/guardian's decision. But if an adult wants to purchase video games then let them. The government doesn't need to get involved in this.

Posted by: anii
  • Culture of Violent games

Its become such a part of the 1st world culture that no one who plays these type of games would wants to have it regulated. Games like Call of Duty or Counter Strike where people have used so much if there time on that no one will ever want to have that taken away from them.

• Hint Hint: They Already Have.

The fact that every Video Game has a rating sticker somewhere on it is evidence enough. In reality, the government needs to make sure REAL crimes do not occur, not rant on the news about how playing Halo is going to turn me into a sociopathic freak of nature that will try to attack people because i think i'm "Living the game"

• The government should regulate violent video games.

The government should regulate violent video games because they are inappropriate for children. In the same way that movies and television are restricted for minors, video games should not be given to minors. Video games have been shown to cause violent thoughts and tendencies in kids, and they can lead to outburts that hurt innocent people.

• Violent video games should not, and cannot, be banned by the government.

Argument #:1 Lead sentence: The fact of the matter is, it is legally impossible and unconstitutional to ban the sale of violent videogames to minors.
    1. Evidence-“Like the protected books, plays and movies that preceded them, video games communicate ideas — and even social messages — through many familiar literary devices (such as characters, dialogue, plot and music) and through features distinctive to the medium (such as the player’s interaction with the virtual world),” Justice Scalia wrote. “That suffices to confer First Amendment protection.”
    http://www.Nytimes.Com/2011/06/28/us/28scotus.Html?Pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Source URL-http://www.Nytimes.Com/2011/06/28/us/28scotus.Html?Pagewanted=all&_r=1&

“Steve”- Justice of the supreme court.

3. Evidence- "As a means of assisting concerned parents it (the law) is seriously overinclusive because it abridges the First Amendment rights of young people whose parents (and aunts and uncles) think violent video games are a harmless pastime," wrote Justice Antonin Scalia for the majority.”

Source URL- http://www.Cnn.Com/2011/US/06/27/scotus.Video.Games/

“Steve”-Justice of the supreme court

Argument #2: Lead sentence: Despite the urban legend that video games can be linked to violence, far more accurate and recent studies have been produced proving that violent video games lack negative consequences.

1. Evidence- “There's no evidence that any video games have contributed to or triggered any real-world crime or serious violence. Juvenile arrests continue to decline. Given the widespread use of video games among youth, include ‘Mature’ rated games, we would expect to see some increase in crime statistics if such games were broadly harmful.”

“Steve”- Cheryl K. Olson (Sc.D., Asst. Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School)
    2. Evidence- Lawrence Kutner, Ph.D. And Cheryl K. Olson, Sc.D. Co-founders and directors of the Center for Mental Health and Media and members of the psychiatry faculty at Harvard Medical School, have authored a book titled Grand Theft Childhood, aimed at debunking common media and pundit chatter bemoaning a supposed link between violence and video games.