Should the government take actions to deter individuals from smoking?

• Smoking is bad

It can kill you and lots of people would be sad and it is ruing your lungs. It will give you lung cancer and it will ruin your life so stop smoking. It is a very bad habit and you need and must stop smoking now or you might die.

• Smoking is bad

• Smoking is bad

• Smoking is bad

• Smoking is bad

• Smoking is bad

• Smoking is bad

• Smoking is bad

• Smoking is bad

• Less smokers means less deaths in a year

Smoking can cause many problems to your body. One cigarette has over 400 chemicals in it. In america one third of the deaths caused are from smoking. If the government bans smoking they will be cutting down on deaths a year and saving money all at the same time. I need one more sentence to fill in the 50 words

• They already do

They tax the heck out of tobacco companies and when you are buying a pack of cigs more than half of what you are paying is excise tax which they thought would deter people from smoking but it has still failed. I do not think the government should be trying to influence people's decisions because it is not their business.

• I think so

Because others don't smoke why kill our buzz??
    I do it because of my own needs how am i harming any others directly and even I'm doing so I'm doing it in the presence of people who smoke not in front of those who don't. Need 5 more words lol!!

• I think so

• The government should take action to deter cigarette manufacturers instead of individuals.

The manufacturers and the government are the ones who profit from cigarettes. They are the ones who need to be deterred. Why not outlaw cigarettes? The money the government will lose in revenue will be gained in the healthcare arena, i.E. Less medicare/medicaid recipients needing government funded treatment for COPD and other smoke-related diseases. The cigarette manufacturers are already fatcats, so they can just retire or find an alternative enterprise.

• It's a "free country"

People should be allowed to do whatever they want to. We choose what to wear in the morning, what job we have, where we live etc. And whether we smoke or not! People complain about why would they spend money on smoking because it's just destroying their body, alcohol does the same thing. And I can guarantee 80% of people attacking smoking drink anyway. It's the same thing.

The other main argument against it is "Why should I have to pay for someones health care when they go into hospital for smoking related diseases?". The irony is people, the majority if funding for health care in this country comes from smoking. The government make a huge amount of money from taxes on cigarettes, so unless you are smoking yourself you should get out. People should be free to do whatever they want, hence why it's a free country.

• We Have Free Choice

People are free to choose what they wear in the morning, where they live and how to live their lives, why should the government be able to control what people put into their bodies. The government has advertised and done as much as they can to make people aware of the consequences that smoking has on the human body. There is no way that someone that smokes doesn't know that they are causing harm to their body and yet they still choose to smoke. I don't think the government the government should take action because it's not their place to choose what is best for everyone.

• People should choose how to live their own lives

See Prohibition did no good. And that's just one example of how rude interference with the private lives of the common people usually fails. Smoking is in my opinion not a public health concern, rather it's a personal choice and as such everyone should make up his own mind about it. Besides there are much more pressing matters and deeper social problems than a simple habit.

• As long as cigarettes are a legal substance, I do not believe the government should take action to deter individuals from smoking.

I understand the dangers of smoking and do not smoke myself. However, I think it is hypocritical of the government to, on the one hand, support the growth and production of tobacco, and on the other hand, take steps to keep people from smoking. I think tobacco products should have an age requirement, but beyond that, I think the government should step back until and unless it stops supporting tobacco as a crop.

Posted by: SuddenRashad84
  • Smoking is a dangerous choice for individuals and society, but government programs to stop it can turn into a slippery slope.

Smoking is a personal choice, even though it is a poor choice to make. Government programs that deter smoking can be useful, but the problem is that there is a slippery slope of possibilities. Where does the program stop? When does smoking become illegal? What other unhealthy choices are then made illegal?

Posted by: SpitefulChi
  • Smoking is not illegal and it is the smoker's choice, not the right of the government to take that choice away.

Government has the ability to take smoking away from government buildings and parks, but it does not have the right to come into homes and dictate whether or not an individual of legal age is permitted to smoke. This is an example of too much legislation, and it must be curtailed. Since the tobacco lawsuits, Americans are well-educated on the risks they take if they choose to smoke.

Posted by: CowardlyVirgil31