• Smoking should stop

Smoking is rank.. It is an awful habit with the most disgusting consequences.. It has a very bad influence on younger people and its awful to see parents smoking around their children. It is wrong and should have never begun in this society. The smell is vile and the effects on teeth is horrendous. It is an all round disgrace.

• Government indeed has to tighten smoking laws.

I agree I don't have any right on others choice of living style. But smoking is such a style where not only the smoker is affecting his/her life but that of the person next to him. As a passive smoker I dont want to endanger my life for some fools.

• Yes they should

Smoking is bad for health Smoking can kill you and it takes time to kill you. You will suffer a lot before you die. You will leave behind love ones and I don't think anyone wants to see their loved ones suffer because of their unpleasant habit. Smoking in Public also poses a threat to society. Second hand smoking is more dangerous than first hand smoking.

• Smoking is bad for health

Smoking can kill you and it takes time to kill you. You will suffer a lot before you die. You will leave behind love ones and I don't think anyone wants to see their loved ones suffer because of their unpleasant habit. Smoking in Public also poses a threat to society. Second hand smoking is more dangerous than first hand smoking.

• Yes ples do thees

Smoking bad, quitting good jhbsddddddddhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh h h h hh h h h h h hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hh h h h h h h hh h h h

• Smoking does kill

I’m going to ask you to do something. Single out five people you know, including yourself. One of you will die a premature death from smoking tobacco cigarettes, or at least, according to statistics. Smoking causes 1 in 5 deaths per year and is currently the leading cause of preventable deaths in the United States. Why should we watch and let our loved ones, our family, our friends, get hurt and potentially die due to the smoking of cigarettes? In order to protect our loved ones, we need to make more laws against smoking.

• Smoking should be illegal NOW!!!

I watched my grandma die on a hospital bed from smoking, if the government would just make it illegal, then children want have to go through what I went through. Hopefully everyone out there in the world is encouraging people to STOP SMOKING!! No child should have to go through what I went through.

• Do it for your Health and your bank account

Banning smoking in public buildings has cut down on second hand smoking, as a none smoker I want the chose to be able to go out to a bar or club without coming home with my lungs filled with smoke because they did once. Smoking is a luxury that people get into and chose to continue, if you are addicted to the nicotine then just have the nicotine and stop putting your health and other at risk.

• Tighten smoking laws

We should tighten these laws because smoking is harmful to both user and others around them. Just because they have it outside it is damaging the environment and polluting the air. Having it inside can cause head aches, misfiring of smoke alarms and is harmful to the others around them just breathing in the air.

• Will a smoker drink water polluted by me? Why should I breathe air polluted by them?

Ever been to a public swimming pool and suddenly the life guard blows the whistle an pandemonium...Every body must get out of the water quick, you thing jeewizz it must be Jaws or some other life threatening creature in the water. Then everybody is out, watching how the culprit is caught in the small fishing net, a little log of faeces, or a turd. Yes a little boy or girl or a big boy or girl done it. Could you imagine... We all share a pool when we swim, and it is kept clean, we share water from the same source and it is kept clean, why can't the air we breathe be kept clean as well? Second-hand smoke causes lung cancer in non-smokers and has also been associated with heart disease in adults and sudden infant death syndrome, ear infections, and asthma attacks in children. There is no safe level of exposure to second-hand smoke, according to the Scientific Committee for Tobacco and Health and International Cancer Association. Wake up politicians!!!

• I support free smoking.

The government should not tighten smoking laws, based on the fact that smoking is entirely a personal choice, and this nation is supposed to support all individual choices like smoking, even though smoking can cause a nuisance and pose a risk of health damage to others, that is the sacrifice we make for having a free nation.

• We have been fine up to this point.

There is no evidence that 2nd hand smoke actually causes any increase of cancer unless you are constantly exposed to it. Most of the harmful chemicals inside of the smoke die off and get diluted so much that by the time someone else inhales it doesn't really do any big amount of harm. People have been smoking for 100's of years and mankind survived. Smoking is a huge epidemic suddenly? This is only so people can feel better about themselves by "helping" others.

• I do not agree with the government tightening smoking laws.

Why should the government tighten smoking laws when they don't seem to care if another person drinks! If a person wants to smoke they should have the right to do so. This is a free country and I can't think of anyone who doesn't do something they enjoy. Yes, smoking is hazardous to your health but so is race car driving, sky diving, and excessive drinking as I stated before. The government should not have the right to tell people what to do in their personal life.

Posted by: EantDirty
  • Instead of tightening smoking laws, ban lawn chemicals which are much more harmful.

The entire anti-smoking campaign is based on not only the harmful effects of smoking but a moral issue that deems smoking "bad". If we are really concerned about our health, then lets look at lawn chemicals, chemicals in cosmetics and yes, the chemicals in cigarettes. It has been hypothesized that it is chemical fertilizer that causes the alpha-particle emission in cigarette smoke, thus causing cancers.

Posted by: 54IInferno
  • No

Allowing government to regulate and control one group of people, gives equal access to a change of power to regulate you just as equally. Is smoking dangerous? Yes, so is driving, drinking, swimming, shady neighborhoods, drugs. Freedom should never be trumped for one group to protect another or both will end up loosing all freedom.

• NO!!! Let people smoke

Smoking is a persons choice and if they want to smoke i say let them. People know the danger yet they still choose to do it. I think if people want to give up they can because they are plenty of product out there to help them. Smokers know that it will be life theterning but its a choice.

• I don't care if they tax more, but there are already strict laws in place.

For smokers, really the only place left to smoke is outside buildings from a distance, in the privacy of their homes or in their cars. I think America makes quite a bit of money off of the tobacco industry, and putting more restrictions on it would be counterproductive. I do not agree with marketing towards children, yet if an adult chooses to smoke it is one of the last things a person can legally do to take the edge off. Let them do it in peace.

Posted by: PointlessElbert47
  • Absolutely not.

Smokers get enough crap from everyone as it is, and it makes me pretty angry that 59% of this debate is pro giving us even MORE crap. This country isn't about control, it's about freedom. Don't like it? Move to Saudi Arabia.

• I don't think smoking laws should be tightened, because people should be allowed to do what they want to their own bodies.

Government agencies should not be allowed to regulate what people chose to do to their own bodies. People should be allowed to put whatever they want in their own bodies, because the next step would be regulating tattoos and body piercings.

Posted by: TriteMyron
  • No, the government should not tighten smoking laws any more because, depending on where you live, they are already rather unforgiving to smokers.

A smoker already has to smoke outside, as much as 20 feet away from any door, window, or public location, like a bus stop. Smokers are being treated like lepers and while the idea of protecting others from second hand smoke is a nice ideal, the process of which the government is doing so is trampling on the rights of the smoking public. There are bigger issues to deal with. Second-hand smoke may kill someone in a few decades, but drunk driving can kill several people instantly. The government should work harder on cracking down on alcohol abuse, instead of second-hand smoke.

Posted by: H_Baird