Should the Harry Potter series be banned from schools?

• Borders on Witchcraft

I believe the "spells" and things in this book borders on witchcraft and that should not be in the public schools... This should be a book read at home given by a parent if they want the child to read it.. It's not appropriate for school aged children. Our tax dollars pay for education and that is what exactly it should be, not fantasy time.

• I am actually doing this topic in my debate team, and I have yes.

The Harry Potter books should be banned because the books are a great fantasy novel that will put ideas into children's heads. Such as the MURDER or Harry's parents, what happened to Jenny in the chamber of secrets, and not to mention the bad language. This is not a book that young children should be reading. I they want to read this book they should do it outside school where they won't get distracted.

• The Harry Potter series should be banned from schools.

Harry Potter is a good book, but it's not appropriate for schools. It's a fantasy novel that panders to children's immature sensibilities. It is not an academic book. If children want to indulge in fantastical escapist fantasies, they should do it outside of school. They should not get distracted while at school.

• No, Harry Potter sparks kid's interest in reading!

All of you saying that Harry Potter promotes witchcraft need to calm down. It's fantasy! Harry Potter sparked my interest in reading at 7, and by twelve, I could read 1000 words per minute, double the average college student! Don't clip off children's wings. It's age appropriate and draws the reader in. Some may say it is distracting, but as a free reading book, or even a class book, it would be fine. It has a rich plot and many writer's techniques.

• Harry Potter should not be banned

I read the Harry Potter books when I was a kid and last time I checked, I don't practice witchcraft and don't know anyone who has been encouraged to practice witchcraft by the Harry Potter books. There has been magic and other things in children's movies yet I'm sure there haven't been as many complaints about that.

As for the people who complain about the Harry Potter books teaching children that defying the law and breaking rules is a good idea, Harry Potter also teaches children important lessons like bravery and loyalty. There are good life lessons in the Harry Potter books. An example of a good life lesson shown in the Harry Potter books is the Albus Dumbledore quote, "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light."

• Why Fight Over These Kinds of Arguments?

Seriously, people have their own opinions. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everyone doesn't for example some people like anchovies and some don't. I'm not trying to say I'm on one side, I'm on both. I agree and disagree. Do you guys really need to fight over this? Some schools can ban it, some schools can keep it. There are going to be wars soon if you keep arguing.

• People now a days are way to sensitive

Theres nothing bad in the series. All the spells arent real either jk rowling mixed words together to create them. Also im a sunday school teacher and i like these books the thing is it wouldnt be demonic unless there were rituals or satanic circles.If your against it because of the creatures. Well in narnia there were similar creatures but you dont mind that because c.S. Lewis was a christian.I think people need to chill and stop getting triggerd about stupid stuff.

• Harry Potter books allow learning at it's best

While I wold understand the distaste to the borderline which craft in religious schools, due to the fact that public, Government-funded schools shouldn't really be pushing for or against any religion.

Furthermore, the fantasy, the relatable characters, and the adventure... Everything- makes Harry Potter an amazing series for children to read. I know quite a few children from my elementary career that started realizing that reading is fun only through the connective series of Harry Potter. It deals with important, modern-day issues like racism, and teenagers can relate to the stresses that the characters deal with later on in the series. There are male AND FEMALE villains. There are strong male and female leads. The characters are lovable and the story is unforgettable. There are amazing people in the series, like Dumbledore, Sirius, and Snape that will be an inspiration for young minds all over.

If parents or private schools want this book to be banned from a personal home reading selection or the school library for religious purposes, I would definitely advise students and parents on what an amazing experience these books would be for a child had they been allowed to read these great books.

• Harry Potter books shouldn't be banned

All over the country, schools are wrestling with these agruments. I think that school libraries should not ban books that are inappropriate because kids have to get used to reading books like that, because when they grow up there is a high chance that they will have to read such books. Reading Harry Potter books has many advantages such as experiencing harder vocabulary, enjoying wizardry, and developing a more creative imagination.

• Harry Potter should not be banned.

Harry Potter should not be banned because it sparks imagination in people's minds. It gives people a fantasy world that they can escape to when they are bored (if you are a kid in school, you understand.). Some parents get the idea that it is evil, but it is simply a lifeline for bored people.

• Please realize she feels

I'm glad many people this Harry Potter should not be banned and I'm catholic most people say we should because of witchcraft because a bunch of fake potions spells can tell are children that they are good to be honest I think it's funny because how people can ban a book because of someone dies, witchcraft, and is this happen there just protective and don't realize we tell kids about Santa,Tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and many other's and yet we ban a book that was made for the purpose of magic and that if there children don't realize there are death and they can have fun join a community of nice people and fantastic they would never have imagination and well have that joy Harry potter brings this is a women that was single mother and that work hard on the soul sucking people where based when she went o a depression because her mother died no one realize s book yes is different compare to many but not everything is fine you people think about you working hard on a book/books then get them ban for stupid reasons. Just think is all I ask

• The Notion of Banning Harry Potter is unfounded and ridiculous

To those who believe Harry Potter should be banned based upon the witchcraft and spells in it, many of the spells (if not all) are actually based up latin words. This, combined with the real world and important themes such as racism, prejudice, and loss make the book a classic and amazing educational opportunity for children of all ages. I'm a teenager now and have read the books when I was in second grade, but it seems that every time I reread the series I learn something new. This series has inspired me to learn latin, helped me become closer to my younger brother (by sharing the series and movies with him), and helped me embrace some of my personal traits. If you're a parent who has decided this book is not right for your child I'm not attacking you. I'm simply asking you to communicate and investigate the circumstances before making a decision. My parents and I frequently discuss books such as Harry Potter and The Hunger Games and use it as a learning opportunity.

• It's Fantasy Land

It helps students learn that they can go to an alternative world in their minds to escape reality for a while, because it can be overwhelming and stressful for young students. It gives them an adventure in their mind so they can relax and enjoy a good adventure while also learning things whether they are good or bad are up to you to decide but just think these books could help alot of stressful and overwhelmed students and maybe just maybe hellp them do better if they could get away and relax their mind and have fun sometimes?