Should the Harry Potter series be banned from schools?

• Borders on Witchcraft

I believe the "spells" and things in this book borders on witchcraft and that should not be in the public schools... This should be a book read at home given by a parent if they want the child to read it.. It's not appropriate for school aged children. Our tax dollars pay for education and that is what exactly it should be, not fantasy time.

• I am actually doing this topic in my debate team, and I have yes.

The Harry Potter books should be banned because the books are a great fantasy novel that will put ideas into children's heads. Such as the MURDER or Harry's parents, what happened to Jenny in the chamber of secrets, and not to mention the bad language. This is not a book that young children should be reading. I they want to read this book they should do it outside school where they won't get distracted.

• The Harry Potter series should be banned from schools.

Harry Potter is a good book, but it's not appropriate for schools. It's a fantasy novel that panders to children's immature sensibilities. It is not an academic book. If children want to indulge in fantastical escapist fantasies, they should do it outside of school. They should not get distracted while at school.

• No, Harry Potter sparks kid's interest in reading!

All of you saying that Harry Potter promotes witchcraft need to calm down. It's fantasy! Harry Potter sparked my interest in reading at 7, and by twelve, I could read 1000 words per minute, double the average college student! Don't clip off children's wings. It's age appropriate and draws the reader in. Some may say it is distracting, but as a free reading book, or even a class book, it would be fine. It has a rich plot and many writer's techniques.

• Harry Potter should not be banned

I read the Harry Potter books when I was a kid and last time I checked, I don't practice witchcraft and don't know anyone who has been encouraged to practice witchcraft by the Harry Potter books. There has been magic and other things in children's movies yet I'm sure there haven't been as many complaints about that.

As for the people who complain about the Harry Potter books teaching children that defying the law and breaking rules is a good idea, Harry Potter also teaches children important lessons like bravery and loyalty. There are good life lessons in the Harry Potter books. An example of a good life lesson shown in the Harry Potter books is the Albus Dumbledore quote, "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light."

• Why Fight Over These Kinds of Arguments?

Seriously, people have their own opinions. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everyone doesn't for example some people like anchovies and some don't. I'm not trying to say I'm on one side, I'm on both. I agree and disagree. Do you guys really need to fight over this? Some schools can ban it, some schools can keep it. There are going to be wars soon if you keep arguing.

• Please realize she feels

I'm glad many people this Harry Potter should not be banned and I'm catholic most people say we should because of witchcraft because a bunch of fake potions spells can tell are children that they are good to be honest I think it's funny because how people can ban a book because of someone dies, witchcraft, and is this happen there just protective and don't realize we tell kids about Santa,Tooth fairy, Easter bunny, and many other's and yet we ban a book that was made for the purpose of magic and that if there children don't realize there are death and they can have fun join a community of nice people and fantastic they would never have imagination and well have that joy Harry potter brings this is a women that was single mother and that work hard on the soul sucking people where based when she went o a depression because her mother died no one realize s book yes is different compare to many but not everything is fine you people think about you working hard on a book/books then get them ban for stupid reasons. Just think is all I ask

• The Notion of Banning Harry Potter is unfounded and ridiculous

To those who believe Harry Potter should be banned based upon the witchcraft and spells in it, many of the spells (if not all) are actually based up latin words. This, combined with the real world and important themes such as racism, prejudice, and loss make the book a classic and amazing educational opportunity for children of all ages. I'm a teenager now and have read the books when I was in second grade, but it seems that every time I reread the series I learn something new. This series has inspired me to learn latin, helped me become closer to my younger brother (by sharing the series and movies with him), and helped me embrace some of my personal traits. If you're a parent who has decided this book is not right for your child I'm not attacking you. I'm simply asking you to communicate and investigate the circumstances before making a decision. My parents and I frequently discuss books such as Harry Potter and The Hunger Games and use it as a learning opportunity.

• It's Fantasy Land

It helps students learn that they can go to an alternative world in their minds to escape reality for a while, because it can be overwhelming and stressful for young students. It gives them an adventure in their mind so they can relax and enjoy a good adventure while also learning things whether they are good or bad are up to you to decide but just think these books could help alot of stressful and overwhelmed students and maybe just maybe hellp them do better if they could get away and relax their mind and have fun sometimes?

• I love it

I love Harry Potter and it is the best book I have everrrrr read because it lets my imaginati0on run free and some might say that this is a bad thing but I don't reslly think so. It is also great literature and everything is worded so fantastic. So I say don't ban this book!!

• Why even that thought

Harry Potter is a book people connect to. There is a reason for their purpose so why take it away? Also, if someone doesn't want to read something or their child to then don't read it or teach your child to listen and have them not read it. Just because someone doesn't want to read it doesn't mean they need to take that option away from other people.

• Harry Potter rules!

Why not just ignore the books if you don't want to read them. Don't ban the books. By doing that you are not letting children read a book they just wanna read for fun. Think positive about this and let the books stay! Banning imagination would be like always being serious. Nope. Not even going to say thanks

• Harry Potter inspires

Harry Potter inspires kids to use their imagination in a magical world; in this world full of screens, children need to use their imaginations. There are also some complex words in the series, this helps children expand their vocabulary. This also exposes kids to a different culture if they are not from England. This is an amazing series, it should never be banned.

• It is entertaining

Good book..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . K k k k k k l l l l l l m m m m n n g g