Should the legal drinking age be lower than the legal driving age?

Asked by: Higgsman
  • Then you know why you don't drink and drive

If you are allowed to drink before you are old enough to drive then you will learn why drinking and driving is a bad combination before you are allowed to drive a car. Then you would be less likely to think "I feel like I'm good, I can handle this." since you would have learned that that feeling is deceptive, but you would've learned that in safer situations like saying stupid things while drunk instead of the hard way by getting into an accident drunk driving.

• Drinking requires more experience than driving:

Being able to drink from a younger age allows for more experience so when the times comes to drive, one would be more responsible with alcohol. This would then prohibit from a dangerous one time binge drink night, combining driving; which as we know would result in a potentially fatal incident.

• Younger drinking age= More alcoholics

Absolutely not! I understand there could be a chance some of the kids may be smart enough to choose to not drink, but I believe it will do more harm than good. Nowadays even with the legal drinking age being 21, there are way too many alcoholics putting innocent lives in danger. If we tell 14 and 15 year olds to drink up and then give them licenses, we are basically telling them it's okay to drink and drive. Not too mention, teens at that age are still developing so endless supplies of alcohol overtime to their bodies will obviously cause serious long term damage.

• Young kids are very capable of driving, not drinking.

I mean, they can drink alcohol, but it is not going to do their developing brains any favours.

Alcohol can cause alterations in the structure and function of the developing brain, which continues to mature into a person’s mid 20s, and it may have consequences reaching far beyond adolescence.

Conversely research shows that early driving experience cuts road accidents by 40%.

There are companies offering driving experience to anyone over 11
    https://www.Youngdriver.Eu/

Driving should precede drinking

• You can be drunk before you even start driving.

I don't think that it should because if the drinking age was lower than the driving age then more kids can drink and drive and that would cause more death or injury. Also the legal driving age is 16 or 18 so middle school students could then legally drink. It is not good if kids drink legally because they already illegally drink enough.