• Yes they should

When a kid drop out of school before 14 where dose he goes, not to he's parent after he just quit school. He need a job and fast. But what can he do, he ain't 14 he can't work. If he didn't save he's money before dropping, he's dead meat.

• I crossed the road

And then i wanted to get a job when i was 14 so i went to get a job but i was too young so i left and then i got mugged but i had no money because i didnt have a job so thats why the legal working age should be lowered

• Hell fucking yes

Kids need money for new shoes, cloths, personal hygiene. What if you need something for school. I'm 14, I'm a freshman. Right now in my life I need to pay $20 for DECA and $37 for new band shoes plus idk how much for a tshirt. I owe like 400 something to the school for cheer camp and book fines. Every time I tell my dad I need this much for stuff, he practically pulls out his hair trying to get that money. Now if I had a job, I could take care of it in a couple of weeks at most depending on the job.

• I support the motion!

I have been through an experience where I needed money, a lot of it, and I couldn't afford to ask my parents for it. Let's face it: this helps improve one's sense of responsibility. It can build up one's resume for the future, and it can create connections. Lowering the legal working age doesn't mean that all 14 year olds will be forced to work. It is voluntary, of course. Although I think it should be 16, I still support lowering the legal working age. Teens need to learn how to shoulder responsibility. They can't just depend on their parents. A lot of teenagers want to work, so why not let them? It can also help the their family, the economy, and the country.

• Yes 14 should be the working age.

What are they suppose to do steal money from there parents. No they should go and work for it. What you work for is what you earn. And that is a great life lesson. And some teenagers want to retire early that way they can enjoy life in the future.

• Hell ya it should be lower

I am currently 14 and have been farming since i was 6. It so cool working to make money and learn the value of a dollar. I have a 40 acre sheep farm. I do anything from Driving a tractor with a hay rake down the road to feed animals to fix barns. Its a good thing to know how to do but you cant be some city person to do it.

• Yessss def fo sure

It should so people can become more responsible and independent. Children can learn to support their family and make a living for them. My father started driving and working at 8 and he is the most sucessful person i know. So i say yes and the working age should be lowered too.

• Heck yeah it should be lowered

I think so because eth n I could get a job and help raise money for my family and help to buy us a new home but then I could also save my mom new to save the environment and. Help prevent animal obus. And also it doesn't even have to be all stores.

• Yes the age should be lowered

Some kids are capable of being responsible and some are not. Kids who are responsible enough will pass a job interview with flying colors. Of course the kids who are not responsible enough will not get the job because they will most likely not pass the job interview. Not every kid is unresponsible.

• Yes they should

People of any age deserves to make money. Children and teenagers need to learn how to responsibly use money and what better way than to actually get a job. Hands on experience will always pay off in the future. Also it will give them a chance to make money so that they can start a savings account, checking account, and maybe even start investing. According to Damien Hearse, “I think it’s important for everyone to make money, because the lack of it is so painful” (Hearse). Lets face it, teenagers love money. Or maybe they just love to spend it… Either way, when they are stopped from making money they will definitely feel it. People might say, “They can deal with it.” But that’s not fair, if they are getting a job, then they are working for money, they aren't just stealing money to spend, they are an active member of the economy.

If the child/teenager is not capable of working the job and not responsible enough, they won’t make the interview; they won’t be hired. According to Edward de Bono, “Teaching thinking to unemployed youngsters for just 5 hours can increase their chance for getting a job by almost 500%” (Edward de Bono). Some people say that it will be annoying having a bunch of kids running around in the workplace, but they wouldn’t hire those kinds of people!

Lots of people argue that changing this law to a younger age would promote child labor. Parents could force their kids to work and pay the parents their earnings. This could be solved by two things: Make every child a private bank account that their parents don’t have access to. Also, we would probably make a law that they cannot work at labor jobs, mines, mills etc. These two things would solve that problem. According to The Trouble with Child Labor Laws, “Might these folks have something to offer the workplace? And might the young benefit from a bit of early work experience, too?...” They also state, “The government doesn't seem to mind so much if a kid spends all non-school hours away from the home, family, and church, but it forbids them from engaging in private-sector work during the time when they would otherwise be in public schools drinking from the well of civic culture.” (Mises Daily Articles). To summarize, people don’t seem to care when teens are out doing things with their friends or just whatever, but the second they try to spend that free time being a good member of society, then all of the sudden, that’s a problem.

People of any age deserve to be able to have a job. People need to realise that not every young person is incapable of being responsible enough to have a job, that they have the right to make money, and it would not promote child labor likes lots of people claim. If they weren’t responsible enough for the job, then they would not make the interview.

• 14 and 15 year olds do not know how to use thier brains yet

The minimum working age should be 16. Kids younger then 16 really do not know to use their brain in high intense situation. Common sense to 14 and 15 year olds do not exsist. As some one in higher authority at my job these kids literally ask me how to make there next move every minuet of the day. They are immature and not really and really can not condone themselves around adults. Also there that whole time restriction thing where they can only work a fe hors a day

• Legal Working Age Should Not Be Lowered

No, the legal working age should not be lowered to 14 as even young teenagers deserve to have their time to themselves. 16 years old is a great age to start teaching the responsibility of work, but teens even as old as 15 deserve to have time to themselves and not yet have to work.

• The legal working age should not be lowered to 14.

I believe that the legal working age should not be lowered to 14. Kids needs to be kids during their teenage years and not have to worry about holding a job. In addition, many kids lack the maturity needed to hold a job. Mistakes could be made and injuries or death could result.

• Education comes first

At the age of 14, you are still a kid. Kids don't know best and are usually impulsive. Therefore, they would most likely put their job before their education. Education should come first at that age and also still having time to be a kid. So wait, don't rush working and let kids still have time to be kids.

• Look at the Economy

If all 14 year old kids have a job that means more money in the cycle. Therefor there will be increase prices in ever day items. That is what happened when the law to increase minimum wage that was passed by congress, There is more money, yes, But there is also more expensive items with it. Milk went from a dollars to almost 4. Is that really more money to you? Or is it just a ratio.

• Look at the Economy

• Teen Brain Development

Teens are not equipped to use rational processing when faced with tough decisions like an adult would be able to do in the same situation. Also kids could be forced to work and this could also effect their education which is needed now a days. THE LEGAL WORKING AGE SHOULD NOT BE LOWERED

• Not worth it

Children need to be children. This law does not allow that to happen as much. Also, children are not skilled enough or ready mentally or physically to hold a job. They are simply not developed enough. It is nice to make money but they don't need it yet and these positions which they will be taking will possibly be taking away that position from someone who needs it more.

• Department of Labor

Subtopics
    Hiring Youth
    Affirmative Action
    Foreign Labor
    I-9 Central
    Veterans
    Workers Under 18
    The Department of Labor's Employment Standards Administration's Wage and Hour Division (WHD) administers and enforces the federal child labor laws. Generally speaking, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) sets the minimum age for employment (14 years for non-agricultural jobs), restricts the hours youth under the age of 16 may work, and prohibits youth under the age of 18 from being employed in hazardous occupations. In addition, the FLSA establishes subminimum wage standards for certain employees who are less than 20 years of age, full-time students, student learners, apprentices, and workers with disabilities. Employers generally must have authorization from WHD in order to pay subminimum wage rates.

• Lowering the age may be wrong.

Children need to be children. Also, children are not skilled enough or ready mentally or physically to hold a job. They are simply not developed enough. Another reason. If a teenager gets a job to pay for goofing with his friends, what if someone needs that job to stay off the street. Also, More workers will mean more money in cycle. This also leads price inflation.

Jamaican_me_craazy says2014-09-10T21:22:43.263
In my defense, I don't believe that children at age 14 should only have to focus on school and having fun. I strongly disagree with lowering the legal working age is wrong because in my point of view that is depriving kids from enjoying their childhood.