Should the mentally ill be forced into treatment?

Asked by: Fanny
  • If they are a danger to others

Those with very serious mental problems, meaning that they pose a threat to both themselves and others, should be forced into treatment. It would be a benefit for both them and the people around them.

However, those with less serious conditions should NOT be forced into treatment but should still be encouraged to go through treatment.

• Sometimes it's necessary.

There is a fine line between making bad decisions and lacking capacity. If someone clearly is not stable then a court order to take medication is important so they become stable and have sufficient mental capacity to advocate for their wishes. Maybe they do not want to live on the street after becoming stable. Some people might say that it takes away their freedom, but is the guy wandering around the park talking to himself, or the person with schizophrenia is living on the streets truly free in any meaningful sense? No. Some people will say it's a choice to live on the street but like I said there is a fine line between making bad decisions and lacking capacity. They are living on the streets because they are not competent and do not have their frontal lobes working, which is necessary to make good decisions and decide what you really want. They don't finish developing till 25, which is why teens don't make wise decisions and are under custody of their parents. And when someone proves themselves lacking capacity, we take away their rights such as the right to sign contracts, vote, etc. So the mentally ill really have no right to refuse.

• Depends on the situation

My missing sister in law has schizophrenia, she is refusing medical treatment had became pregnant and did not know she was until she was 8 months. She doesn't even know how it happened or by who. She is currently missing for 6 months now all because there was no way to force meds. So at right price? Her daughters who doesn't know where she is? Herself who we have no idea even if she is alive? I believe in some cases meds are absolutely needed to be forced.

• You people that are saying no, obviously don't have a mentally ill loved one.

Do you know what it's like to watch someone you love suffer from delusions and sink deep into psychosis? Do you know what it's like to live in fear of your own child and hide all the knives and lock your bedroom doors at night? I bet you don't. The severely mentally ill do not have the mental capacity to understand they are sick and need medication. They refuse to take it and the psychiatrists will not force them to take it, even when it's clear the patient is severely mentally unstable. They also won't hospitalize the patient until they attempt to hurt themselves or others, so the families cannot do a thing to help their loved one get better. Then when a tragedy occurs, everyone will point their fingers at the family and say...."Why didn't you DO SOMETHING?"

Many don't realize how much the medications DO work, it's just a matter of compliance. If someone is diagnosed with a severe mental illness, and all are in agreement....Doctors, counselors, law enforcement, the family....Then it should be mandated by law that they receive their recommended dose of medication or face jail time. It's in the best interest of everyone, especially the patient who has the chance at a normal life. Please remember, they do not have the ability to make decisions for themselves when they are mentally ill!!!

• The mentally ill should be forced into treatment.

Not all treatment that is forced is not going to have a negative effect on the person. If someone is suffering from a mental illness it is always better to have medication taken than to just let it go. An illness will always get worse and cause the person to worsen their condition to the point where it may start effecting others. If possible taking medication could cause the illness to halt or get better, and that is better than the ladder.

• Yes, in some circumstances

If it is illegal to kill yourself or someone else and you want to......You should be medicated. It would help the mentally ill to be able to function and contribute to society. Lower medical costs in the long term with proper medication regimes. Possibly less crime rates. Lower homelessness statistics too.

• Logic behind it.

I believe that if a person is not mentally stable and not in a position to make a rational choice then a medication can be forced upon for patient's own well-being. The medication should not be administered on the patient if the patient is capable of making rational choice on his/her own.

• Currently I am being held awaiting inpatient treatment stating I'm mentally I'll.

I'm stressed totally aware of what's going on. Know what happened, but being labeled for being unsafe cause I got into a car accident. I was upset while driving away from ex who kicked me out and took my children. He told emergency I was trying to hurt myself. But I didn't actually hit anything. Car flipped when wiped on dirt. So I'm apparently mentally ill but 100% able to function. I'm stressed and everyone is a little mental

• It all depends

I think that if the person is harmful to others then they should get treatment. If they don't harm anyone or they aren't a threat then they should not need to be forced into treatment. I am sure there are other ways to help someone rathe then giving them medication..

• Not in the way we do it now...

I remember when I was in high school contemplating suicide, that I had this underlying fear that if I ever truly told someone what I was thinking - they'd lock me up. Deep down I knew this was an irrational fear. They wouldn't actually lock me up...

Until they actually did. After hurting myself for a second time in a way that landed me in an ER for a second time, I was treated as not even human. I remember when I woke up, a nurse came into my room and without saying a word to me, began stripping the room of everything in it. She took the medical tools, the monitors, the trash can and even the magazines. It was like watching the grinch steal christmas - and not a word was said. When I was more coherent then, they told me that since this was a "second attempt" (or so they called it), that there was a mandatory admittance into a mental facility for 72 hours. I was stripped of my phone and my belongings. I wasn't allowed outside at all during my stay and visitors were only allowed during certain "visitor hours". I was told I needed to go to meetings - so I went just so that I could be released when my time was up. I was kept up at night by the screams of people in the hallways.

I'm bipolar. By the time I was in this facility my mood had passed. I've never talked to myself, I didn't have any substance abuse, I never posed any harm to anyone else, and I didn't lash out. I'm 5 ft tall, 100 lbs and at the time was 22. I was terrified to be in there.

That experience was a punishment - nothing more. And maybe that wasn't all bad. I can say that I'm more hesitant when it comes to doing harm to myself because I never, NEVER want to end up back in there - like a prisoner afraid to return to jail. But at the same time, should those thoughts come back up - I will NEVER tell anyone, especially no one in the professional field. And if I do every try anything, I better damn well be successful at the attempt.
    So I don't know - would you call that a success?

• No , The government is trying to take away everyone's will and freedom by using the DSM and Obamacare

Through Obamacare and the DSM, the government will be taking our freedom. Know when you sign up for Obamacare, all info will now go to law enforcement and auditing agencies as well. Psychiatrists make money by placing the mentally ill in hospitals or sane people they can just do that to! They get kickbacks by the drug companies, giving another incentive to take your freedom. One doctor after just 10 minutes of knowing you along with a trial of 10 minutes, can put you away for life! A family member or an ex with an incentive to take over your life or get revenge, get the kids, etc can do to this to you! WE MUST UNITE SOON! Do not stand by and let our freedom and rights be taken. Everything you tell a doctor, esp: if you drink, smoke, have sex and unprotected sex, any depression, anxiety, etc will be blown out of proportion and you will be charged accordingly as they twist the info to make more money. I am a therapist, not a person with mental illness. Yes, the mentally ill need to get help, but through trusting friends, family or co-workers, things can be worked out. If a drug is needed, then find a way to get it without disclosing information because all information will be used against you!

• Isolated maybe, but not threated.

Remember Flew over cuckoo's nest and aftermath of thretment for protagonist.
    Many years have passed and electrotherapy no longer in vogue. But still nobody know the real causes of these diseases and hence all threatments could be proposed are empiric. The desicion to be threated should be made by ill person or at least his family if he is fully incapacitated.

Overdiagnosis by specialists can't be excluded because to treat the mentally ill - a profitable business.

• Depends on the severity of mental disorder

There are many types of mental disorders, and some neurological which are often falsely categorized as such. If someone is suffering from depression, anxiety, etc. And they are not a harm to themselves or others...Never medicate unless it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the outcome will be quality of life for the individual. I am the mother of an adult autistic individual. Yes, I have chosen to medicate but I don't at this point in time. He should never be forced to take medications if they do not guarantee positive results for him and his life.

• No they shouldn't

Even if they are proven dangerous then they should be forced into incapacitation in an institution but not forced into any treatment. If they just want to stay in their room locked up and not take any medication or go to any counseling sessions and just spend the rest of their days there that should be their choice although treatment should be encouraged in such cases.

• Not unless they are a demonstrable danger to others

First, we must consider the lack of basis for most mental disorders - there is no clear test or biological dysfunction. Yes, you have heard about chemical imbalances, but this is actually not scientifically proven, though not technically a lie as everyone's brain chemistry fluctuates. This myth has been perpetuated by the pharmaceutical companies to flog their products and the psychiatrists to solidify their standing as medical professionals.

Second, consider whether or not the mentally ill truly do reach the level at which their autonomy can justly be violated by medical professionals. Now, we all perceive the mentally ill as incompetent and irrational, but is this true? Certainly, someone who is depressed, anxious, phobic, etc. Is mentally ill, but does not reach the level at which they would necessarily be capable of managing their own treatment. But in the case of the schizophrenic or the bipolar individual, for example, are they competent? Well, these disorders can vary in severity and may be episodic, so perhaps. Certainly treatment should not unilaterally be compelled even in these more serious cases.

Third, treatment (which in our society means meds), is not always beneficial and should not be compelled even in the case of the legally non competent patient unless he or she is a danger. The reason being that these meds are often highly dangerous and prone to side effects and in most cases, not taking them may cause less harm. And given that there is no identified biological problem, who are we to say that the mentally ill person is wrong, provided that they harm no one? Who cares if they hallucinate or believe 'crazy' things as long as no actual harm occurs? Though, often it bothers us, that is not reason enough.

• How mentally ill?

I do not believe that the mentally ill should be forced into treatment unless they pose a real present threat. Some guy wandering around the park talking to himself, regardless of his physical condition is not harming anyone else. Leave him be. If they attack someone or make threats, I definitely think their mental stability and potential for harm should be evaluated.

AnonyFeline says2013-07-14T04:43:11.770
Perhaps given more of an incentive rather than be forced into it. If they were required into treatment, then it would be more rational for the service to be paid for, and perhaps run, by the State.
kathproud says2014-03-24T21:34:41.963
I am currently debating this topic at university, would you be able to complete my survey about it please? Thanks https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SP8X3FS