Should the mentally ill be forced into treatment?

Asked by: Fanny
  • If they are a danger to others

Those with very serious mental problems, meaning that they pose a threat to both themselves and others, should be forced into treatment. It would be a benefit for both them and the people around them.

However, those with less serious conditions should NOT be forced into treatment but should still be encouraged to go through treatment.

• Sometimes it's necessary.

There is a fine line between making bad decisions and lacking capacity. If someone clearly is not stable then a court order to take medication is important so they become stable and have sufficient mental capacity to advocate for their wishes. Maybe they do not want to live on the street after becoming stable. Some people might say that it takes away their freedom, but is the guy wandering around the park talking to himself, or the person with schizophrenia is living on the streets truly free in any meaningful sense? No. Some people will say it's a choice to live on the street but like I said there is a fine line between making bad decisions and lacking capacity. They are living on the streets because they are not competent and do not have their frontal lobes working, which is necessary to make good decisions and decide what you really want. They don't finish developing till 25, which is why teens don't make wise decisions and are under custody of their parents. And when someone proves themselves lacking capacity, we take away their rights such as the right to sign contracts, vote, etc. So the mentally ill really have no right to refuse.

• They Are Ill

If they deny treatment, it shows another aspect that they are severely mentally disable because "normal" people should know that they need treatment when they are ill. We should treat them for the better of overselves since they can be a danger to society and for the better of the patient so he/she can get well.

• Depends on the situation

My missing sister in law has schizophrenia, she is refusing medical treatment had became pregnant and did not know she was until she was 8 months. She doesn't even know how it happened or by who. She is currently missing for 6 months now all because there was no way to force meds. So at right price? Her daughters who doesn't know where she is? Herself who we have no idea even if she is alive? I believe in some cases meds are absolutely needed to be forced.

• You people that are saying no, obviously don't have a mentally ill loved one.

Do you know what it's like to watch someone you love suffer from delusions and sink deep into psychosis? Do you know what it's like to live in fear of your own child and hide all the knives and lock your bedroom doors at night? I bet you don't. The severely mentally ill do not have the mental capacity to understand they are sick and need medication. They refuse to take it and the psychiatrists will not force them to take it, even when it's clear the patient is severely mentally unstable. They also won't hospitalize the patient until they attempt to hurt themselves or others, so the families cannot do a thing to help their loved one get better. Then when a tragedy occurs, everyone will point their fingers at the family and say...."Why didn't you DO SOMETHING?"

Many don't realize how much the medications DO work, it's just a matter of compliance. If someone is diagnosed with a severe mental illness, and all are in agreement....Doctors, counselors, law enforcement, the family....Then it should be mandated by law that they receive their recommended dose of medication or face jail time. It's in the best interest of everyone, especially the patient who has the chance at a normal life. Please remember, they do not have the ability to make decisions for themselves when they are mentally ill!!!

• The mentally ill should be forced into treatment.

Not all treatment that is forced is not going to have a negative effect on the person. If someone is suffering from a mental illness it is always better to have medication taken than to just let it go. An illness will always get worse and cause the person to worsen their condition to the point where it may start effecting others. If possible taking medication could cause the illness to halt or get better, and that is better than the ladder.

• Yes, in some circumstances

If it is illegal to kill yourself or someone else and you want to......You should be medicated. It would help the mentally ill to be able to function and contribute to society. Lower medical costs in the long term with proper medication regimes. Possibly less crime rates. Lower homelessness statistics too.

• Logic behind it.

I believe that if a person is not mentally stable and not in a position to make a rational choice then a medication can be forced upon for patient's own well-being. The medication should not be administered on the patient if the patient is capable of making rational choice on his/her own.

• This is common sense!

If a person is sick they must get treatment. Mental illness shouldn't be a reason to not treat. Being mentally incompetent to make decisions for yourself should require complete evaluation and treatment as a medical illness. Focus should be on improvement if any can be had and if not a long team plan. That shouldn't be negotiable. Safety for the patient and others must be the number one priority.

• It's Wrong To Force Someone To Anything.

Personaly Speaking:

1) Mental Hospitals Are Designed To Make People More Insane. 2) Mental Hospitals Are Not Designed To Help You.
    3) People That Work In Mental Hospitals Only Care About Money. 4) People That Work In Mental Hospitals Don't Care About The Patients. 5) Mental Hospitals Don't Help Anyone At All. 6) If You Act Up They Force A Syringe In One Of Your Ass Cheeks & Look You In A Room Like You're A Prisoner. 6) It Takes At Least 6 Medical Staff To Restrain A Child.

• No, it is traumatic as hell

I had an experience of going to involontery stay in a psych ward for a suicide attempt. It was so traumatic, and the way the nurses treat you like you are less than a human. No activities whatsoever. The place is full of false hopes. I got misdiagnosed as a schizophrenic. I got a lot of drugs that had very bad side effects on me. I could barely walk, talk and even sleep. My chest was hurting as hell to the point where I fell on the ground unable to breathe. What did they do ? Nothing. They took me to my room. And when I tell them about my chest, they tell me "It is just stress, nothing to worry about". I was drooling as well. The psychiatrist was careless. And when I refused to take my "medication" I was threatened with a needle. I was released only after my boyfriend annoyed them. Oh and they lie too ... A lot.

So that was my experience. But when I read about most people's experiences. They were as bad if not worse. Mentally ill should not be forced only in extreme cases and the facilities should learn how to treat their patients better.

• Support the concept of no incarceration based on prior restraint or guilty (sick) until proven innocent (well).

The underlying purpose of the "mental health" movement is to do away with the fundamental protections of liberty for each person, just as they were opposed by the royalists, the copperheads, the confederates, and many others who sought a return to a more authoritarian government as was the case in monarchies from which so many escaped to try something new.

• If they're threatening or harming others, then they belong in jail.

And if not—if they're only hurting themselves or if they're not hurting anyone at all, just acting outside the norm—then they've committed no crimes, and forcably locking them up, restraining them, and/or forcing them to take drugs against their will is unethical and a violation of their rights. Bodily autonomy should allow for an adult to harm themselves as long as they're not putting anyone else in danger, and it should allow for them to refuse psychiatry the same way they're allowed to refuse treatment for their physical illnesses/injuries. People who are diagnosed as mentally ill or who feel that they have a problem should be given the care they need, but nobody should be forcably locked up unless they've done something illegal.

• Currently I am being held awaiting inpatient treatment stating I'm mentally I'll.

I'm stressed totally aware of what's going on. Know what happened, but being labeled for being unsafe cause I got into a car accident. I was upset while driving away from ex who kicked me out and took my children. He told emergency I was trying to hurt myself. But I didn't actually hit anything. Car flipped when wiped on dirt. So I'm apparently mentally ill but 100% able to function. I'm stressed and everyone is a little mental

• It all depends

I think that if the person is harmful to others then they should get treatment. If they don't harm anyone or they aren't a threat then they should not need to be forced into treatment. I am sure there are other ways to help someone rathe then giving them medication..

AnonyFeline says2013-07-14T04:43:11.770
Perhaps given more of an incentive rather than be forced into it. If they were required into treatment, then it would be more rational for the service to be paid for, and perhaps run, by the State.
kathproud says2014-03-24T21:34:41.963
I am currently debating this topic at university, would you be able to complete my survey about it please? Thanks https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SP8X3FS