• What About Education?

I was researching this topic because I have to debate it in class with my best friend on Wednesday. He wants the age to be lowered to 16. I think that’s abseloutly crazy. He’s a radicial consevative who owns and carrys his own guns even though it’s illegal. My number one question from hearing all of this is, what about education?! Does no-one care that we’re allowing and encouraging people STRAIGHT out of highschool with barely any LIFE EXPERIENCE to fight for us and potentially DIE on the battle field? YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO BUY HANDGUNS YET. YOU CAN’T EVEN RENT A CAR. It’s a proven fact that your brain has not devoloped when your eighteen. You should be thinking about college and or trade schools and countining your education when your eighteen. You should be making informed decisions about how to become an educated american. If you raise the enrollment to 21 then you can at least reccieve a degree before going of to battle. Educated americans make great soldiers. Not uneducated children. – Gabriella Fermina, 14

• You have to be 21 to do everything else anyway.

You can't drink alcohol until you're 21, you usually can't rent a car until you're 21, you can't even get a concealed carry license until you're 21. Let me put that into perspective; you can sign up to get shot and die before you can legally have your first drink, you can sign up to get shot and die before you can usually rent a car, you can also be trained to use a fully automatic weapon to shoot other people with (and also get shot and die) before you could otherwise concealed carry a pistol. The idea that you can join the military before any of these lesser stepping stones in life is backwards and illogical, not to mention immoral. We're telling our youth that it's better for them to fight to the death than it is to rent a car.

• Of course it should

The age of 17 is not an appropriate age to serve in the military ,because you are not even considered an adult. 17 year olds do not have physical capability to withstand the hard conditions war and training have on their bodies and mind, regardless they are still adolescents, we have to let their bodies and mind mature. The appropriate the military should be 21. Most teens who join the military feel like that is their only option in life for them to get somewhere in life, so they join without even having the chance to experience other options in life.

• Because it should be

The military drafting age should be raised to 21 because it would make more sense. Think about it. It would make sense. You can't even buy a gun at 18, but yet you can legally shoot a gun if you're in the military. It would be a smarter thing to do.

• What about your family, friends?

Are you just gonna leave all behind and go to war and die ???. That’s dump bc people in the age of 18 are not mature enough to go to war bc they don’t have life experience in life so the age should be raised by the government right ?

• Can't do most things as a free man until your 21 then you should not be able to die as an institutionalized man before 21.

The military is an institution you defend a democracy, but you don't serve in one. A soldier day is planned out unless you are not on duty on the weekends even then you are restricted on what you can do. This is the life of most teenagers in service. If the people of the United States want to raise gun ownership to 21 then it makes sense to raise age of military service to 21 since you are carrying the military version of a weapon that most civilians under the age of 21 have access to the AR-15. For every action there is a reaction and this would be that the military mostly relies on the youth of this great country to fill it's ranks, but if there is a three to four year gap between high school graduation and military service alot can happen to this resource. They can find a good paying career, become a felon and a bunch of other ways to become disqualified from service. The ranks need to be filled and if there is not enough eligible volunteers to fill the ranks what will the government do. Peace time draft will have to come back. Elvis did it so our 21 and older can do it. Nothing like having a great thing going on in your life either a job or romance and that letter comes in the mail that you need to report to the nearest meps station because there is a radar site in Greenland that needs to be looked after for the next three years. The guns are out of the hands of the lawful youth, but the 21 and older have that burden of service looming over their heads. Checking the mail is a game of Russian roulette. It's not alright to die on foreign soil holding a weapon as an institutionalized man, but yet you cannot hold that same weapon as a free man. We need to figure what the youth of this country really want and really think deep about pros and cons of what they want instead of the knee jerk reactions we see going on now.

• 18 adult or Not an adult? Define it.

Go to war and risk death and dismemberment, however not legal to have the choice of a beer or a cigarette or a Vaping thing, whether it is a healthy choice or not. Oh and forget pulling the handle on a slot machine under 21, off to jail for you slugger. But again perfectly ok to be killed or harmed for the country, the same one that claims you are not adult "enough" to make these choices. Now, its looking like you may not even be able to purchase long rifles in some states. When we treat them legally as adults then we can give them the privileges' of an adult until then quit killing our children.

• Methods of coercion...

The human brain is not fully developed until approximately its mid-20's. The military preys on the young, impressionable males and females in its recruitment in the same ways jihadists prey on the impressionable young men in the Middle East. It's no different - a large organization glorifying an agenda through coercion, 'patriotism', nationalism, religious fervor (pick your method of influence).

• Methods of coercion...

• High School targets

Recruiters are trained to lie and cover up the truth when trying to recruit, especially to high schooler's. They're allowed on campuses everywhere in the US and can even take children out of class to recruit. Not only is this wrong, it gives off the message that education is not necessary if you have power. They lead children, who are not fully developed psychologically or psychically, to believe that they can be powerful and unstoppable. Then they shove them off to basic and come back unrecognizable. The mental damage they do to young people is irreparable and can lead to extreme anger issues and abusive tendencies later on in life. The recruiting age should be raised to 21 because no child should not be lied to and manipulated the way the military does.

• Its my choice

Sure im to young to drink go to a casino or smoke but im happy to serve my country im 18 and enlisted when i was 17. I think that this is the best job in the world and this is the best country in the world. Even if that means i may lose a limb or my life im proud that i did it to protect what i love and what i believe in and to protect my families rights to live a life they choose not a life that was chosen for them. So no the age shouldnt be raised if i want to serve im going to serve its my choice and and it was an damn good one

• The age should not be raised!!!

If the age gets raised then my future will be ruined. My plan is for my senior year in high school talk to some recruiters about joining the Coast Guard. I will get my ship out date for basic training after I graduate high school. If I graduate basic I will serve as long as possible while I’m there I plan to get my marine biology degree so when I get out I will have a career set for me. Please do not raise it to 21 because then all my dreams will be crushed. I have an amazing plan to do with my life so please don’t mess it up. I really want to serve my country and then come out and do what I have a passion for. Yes I might be 15 but I do understand how war works and that I could die in it but I will die being a civilized person at least I’d die fighting for this country and not dying from an overdose.

• Why most enlist.

There are plenty of reasons why people decide to enlist in the military, but the main reasons I came across during my years in the army are: Financial, a "way out" or "better life", citizenship, Schooling (which can fall under financial as well) and tradition. Not everyone is in a situation where where their family is financially stable, so people will enlist and send money home to help the rest of their family or it allows them to remove themselves from the situation allowing a bit of financial relief. People also see it as a "way out" meaning its a way for them to get out of their small town or big city and go see the world (well another state at the very least) for some people they have never even been out of the state they were born. Others see it as means for a better life style. Some have had almost nothing their entire lives and the military will provide them with something more than what they had. The citizenship part is self explanatory. People enlist to make the citizenship process so much easier. School was a huge one I came across. Not everyone can pay that tuition for a higher education so the fact you can go to school for free while serving and getting 36 months of paid college afterwords gives people the chance they may never have had to better themselves. Now the whole tradition thing, people see it as a right of passage and in some families there has been a member of the family severing in every generation. But back to the point. If the age of enlistment gets raised to 21 it effects all sorts of people seeing the military as their only means for them and their families. The people who can't afford college now have to take out loans to pay for school until they are 21, Kids will have to work multiple jobs to help their family with finances, and people will have to wait another 3 years before being able to get out see the world and better their life styles. There's a reason why less than 2% of the U.S. population is a Vet. Or Active duty military, because it takes a certain type of person to enlist. So raising the age will only affect a small percentage of 18 year olds and if you have never thought of enlisting and giving up at the least 3 years of your life you shouldn't have a say on this topic because you will probably never volunteer. It should be left to the people that did volunteer and the parents or families of the ones that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

• No they should

To all the people that voted yes, they are you stupid. When you're 18 you should have many rights rights to do many stuff and choices so why not you yes voters look in the mirror and point the finger to yourself and learn that people who are 18 can have rights

• My name is Theo and I think the age limit should stay at 18

In the military, they look for young people who are in there prime, when they are more healthy etc. that age is 18. We want to make sure that the people we have in the military are able to keep up and survive on the battlefield or the many weather environments that they could be put through. This is also a time when people become adults. We can get our own place, we can vote, we are able to do things that adults are able to do. One of thoese things that adults can do is the military. So when we are 18 we are adults that is another reason why it should stay. Also military helps with getting into collages and having money and getting jobs. 18 yr olds who want to enlist will have a better chance to get in the collage or a scholarship and to have money to buy their own house and anything else adults need to live on their own or with a partner

• The age should not be raised

The age should not be raised because at 18 is where you legally become a adult and you should care for your country and want to help protect your country. I'm about to turn 18 and I want to serve in the military and I think the age should stay the same.

• Socially and Economically, no

If the military age were raised to 21 instead of 18, in the United Staes, I believe that would hurt the country in many different ways. First off, many highschoolers have their careers set on going to the military straight out of high school. Also if the age were set at 21, the unemployment rate in the country would increase since more people will want jobs, and those who would have received military help to find jobs would no longer have that benefit. Economically and socially, I feel as though it would be a bad idea to change the age.

• Because fuck is fuck

Iudouofi dufiod fsi hdj jkd jdhfkdjh djfhkdjhfjkdh jh h h h h h j j j j j j jj j j j j j j j j j j j jj j j j jjjjj j jjjjjj j j j jj h hh h h huuu uuiii I ii

• One is an adult an can make ones own decision

You aren't just thrown into the military without training. Everyone starts at the beginning and learns from experience no matter what job one may have. If you are going to change the age to 21 then you have to change the age of all "age related" mile stones to 21 starting with one is not considered an adult until "21" legally and that goes with all the ramifications.

• It's all about choice

Just because we have the enlistment age at 18 doesn't mean you are required to join. If you really felt you weren't ready, wait a few years. It's probably going to help this country more if we get a choice. I know a lot of people who are ready for the military at 14 years old, and just imagine what they would do at 18. My point is, don't fix what isn't broken.