Should the minimum legal driving age be raised to 18?

• I hate young drivers.

I hate young driver because they have no experience in the skill of driving cars and they don't drive correctly. Most of the time, it's due to their age, because they are always driving badly, I hate to drive with them or being driven by them because they don't drive well. POO TO ALL OF YOU! Please go get a life and get find your own arguments.

• The driving age should be raised to a higher age for safety reasons.

The reason I say this is because teens text and drive and put themselves and other people in danger. Teens are increasing car wrecks. They are also increasing their injuries. Teens don't know much of the consequences that come with driving. They party and drink, and when they drive drunk, that's another wreck and death waiting to happen. A lot of teens just want a car to drive, they don't really drive the proper way .

• Yes

16 teen year old youngsters are not ready to drive! They make many mistakes because they are not experianced enough just yet. Roads are not as safe as they used to be 50 years ago. 16 teen year olds are just little kids, but in 2 years when they are 18 they should be ready if need be, to drive. As adults, we should protect are children; there is nothing wrong with practicing driving but they should not be driving alone yet.

• 16 is too young!

I just think it's to young and we are not mature enough at 16. I'm 17, and I was excited to get my permit and drive, but I'm still nervous to drive; even with a parent in the car. I'm ready to get my license, but I just think I need to wait until I turn 18. Just so I can get more experience. My sister is 15, and she has taken the test already. She has no turned 18 yet, but she will soon and I just can't see her driving. For one, she is scared and knows nothing about it, and another thing is that she is not very mature.

• Young teens don't know enough about driving.

The age should be 20 because teens don't really understand anything about the road. I am 14 and I think we should be 20 to get our license. It would be great to get it at age 18,16,13,or 14 but it would also be bad. You could get in a car crash and die. I say no way we should be 20 in order to get our license.

• teenagers are immature

teenagers can simply be distracted so it is most probable they are caught texting driving talking or even eating when driving. moreover they are not fully developed especially the frontal lobe part of their brain which is the part responsible for weighing risks and making judgements. If the driving age was rasised thousands of innocent soles would be saved.

• I do not think the legal driving age should be raised to eighteen, because I believe that learning and practicing makes better and safer adult drivers.

I think sixteen is the perfect age for adolescents to begin driving. With proper supervision by parents, they can develop safer habits, and it gives them valuable time to gain experience on the road. It is unrealistic to expect young people to wait any longer to drive since the demands placed on them in today's world are great, and they are expected to mature and be adult-like by sixteen or so.

Posted by: taffydelite
  • Because at this age they know how to behave better and know how to drive without having a risk of crashes.

Because at the age of 16 some teenagers don't know how to behave and at the age of 18 they know how to behave well, because at age 16 all that teens want to do mostly is have fun with their friends and drink, text, and talk on the phone.

• To much obesity.

If we raise the age for driving than there will be less obesity. So far since driving ages haven't gone up there have been a total of additional 32% and now stands at 66% of obesity in the whole United States. With the obesity level going up it is causing more illness and health issues. Now with all the money to help cure it we now spend at least 29 million dollars to cure it.

• 14

NO!!!!!!!If the minimum driving age was raised to 18, the 18 yr olds would be incredibly inexperienced. They would finally get to "go out on their own" and they'd know nothing about driving a car! And a lot of them wouldn't have their parent, parents or guardian, to teach them. Also, kid's parents have to be responsible for their 16 year old kids who want to drive. If they don't think they are mature enough to drive than the kids shouldn't be able too! I'm only 13, and I know that most kids my age would not want the minimum age to be raised. But there is a reason for that, one is that they want to drive, but the reason I wouldn't want them to raise it is because I know that it would end up causing more accidents on the road. Once you're 18 you don't even have to get a learner's permit, than when are you going to learn? You would have had no real experience on the road, with a responsible adult, to teach you how to drive. That's why it would be more dangerous.

• It is hard enough already for teens to get around on their own.

The driving age is already a difficulty for many families. There are actually teens that are under the age of 16 that need to be driving. So raising the age will just cause many more issues. You see, there are many young adolescents that have no way to get to and from sports practice due to the fact that their parents work, or their parents are ill or unable to get out. Many teenagers have away from home outreaches or after school activities, and are unable to make it due to the law of not being able to drive. Therefore, if the age is raised to 18 then a lot more people will have problems getting around.

• Teens should drive at age 14.

Many things occur while driving, causing the driver to have to pay attention and develop skills of quick decision making and watching all around the car to visualize and analyze what is happening around them. Driving also provides a way of transportation to things like school, work, and after-school activities that would otherwise have to be provided by a parent or friend, putting more work in their hands.

• No. The driving age should not be raised.

In fact, it could be lowered. Age isn't the problem. The problem is people who don't understand the rules of the road. That goes for teenagers, people in their 30s, 40s, 50s, and so on. I know people who are 14 years old and are better fit to drive than most 18 year-olds. Not only does the age not matter, I think everybody should be retested every 10 years upon receiving a license and every 5 years after the age of 60 as you're hand-eye coordination and reflexes slow. AGE ISN'T THE PROBLEM! RESPONSIBILITY IS!

• I am 17, a good driver, and never got into an accident

A lot of adults stereotype teenagers when in fact, a lot of them are actually good drivers, I went an entire year without getting into an accident, and a lot of the bad drivers that I know started driving on their own without a license, it would be like enforcing gun control, you are only affecting the ones who follow the rules

• teenagers have things to do!!!

i think teens should start driving at age 14 because you mature in highschool. If you started driving at 18, you wouldn't be able to get to your job/s. Teens shouldn't have to depend on their parent or guardian to bring them to school or to sports or job. parents have better things to do then to sit and drive us aroound town

• The minimum drivers license age should not be raised to 18 because 16-year-olds are more responsible and have a much more focused mind.

The minimum age to obtain one's driver’s license should not be raised to 18 because 16-year-olds have a much more focused mind. If you change the minimum driving age to 18, it will be very little different from 16-year-olds because either way they wouldn't have very much driving experience. Also from the years of 16 to 18, a young person’s maturity level doesn’t rise much at all. So the number of road casualties or accidents is most likely not to differ anyway. When 18-year-olds graduate from school, they fool themselves into thinking that they know everything. In this case, they are less inclined to acknowledge instructions about driving, making them dangerous drivers. Sixteen-year-olds are more apt to accept advice since they are used to being in ‘learning mode’ at school. Also an 18-year-old who is able to drink alcohol is more likely to drive drunk or try stunts to show off to their friends, which makes them far pose a much greater threat on the road than a still-in-school 16-year-old.

Being 16 and having an early, fast start to getting your license rather than finally getting it after a long slow process makes a huge difference to your life. Sixteen-year-olds have many more available hours to drive, therefore get their license faster than 18-year-olds who are either working full time or going to university busy with studies.

Once youth have completed school, would you want them moving into the real world without a license? Of course not! We are talking about the future citizens, for heaven’s sake! All of you would very much agree that a driver’s license is a necessity to life as you grow older. Once they get a full time job, without a license how are they supposed to get there? Using public transport? Yeah, sure, an electrician turns up at a bus stop with their 60 kg suitcase full of tools. No of course not! A driver’s license is vital for all working citizens!

Sixteen is a far better minimum age for obtaining your driver’s license because, first, 16-year-olds have far more focused minds and are able to accept instructions more easily than 18-year-olds. Second, it is easier to obtain a license at 16 because of availability of driving hours and, finally, because this does not act as a restraint towards teenagers’ engagements in the workforce. So I firmly believe that the minimum age to obtain a drivers license should not be raised to 18!

• NO

If your neighbor robs a bank, should you go to jail? No. If your classmate gets in an accident, should your driver's license be taken away? O course not. Neither situation is fair. Raising the driving age will punish all young drivers for the mistakes of a few of their peers.

• Teens deserve to become independent!

Why make teenagers wait? They have a social life too! Drivers will be just as inexperienced at 18 as they will be at 16! WHY? Teenagers are young and are not allowed to drink at 16, so then they wouldn't drink and drive. If teenagers are allowed to start driving at 18 and drink they will go out drunk driving. Then we will have to change the drinking age!

• An early start is a good one.

If kids get an early start even before 16, say 14, kids would get more experience than the previous driving generation. They would be more street smart and even more prepared for diving later on in life than the previous driving generation. They could learn to be more independent and be less likely to misuse their driving privilege

• It shouldn't be raised

If you were to start driving at 18, it would be the same as starting at 16. The driver would be inexperienced and instead of the crash rates being at 16-25 it would be 18-27. It does nothing for lowering the crash rates, you shouldn't blame the entire teenage population for the mistakes of a few. Not only is it unfair to the responsible teenage driving, but to their parents as well. Now the teenagers are dependent on their parents to get them to and from school an work. But what if the parents have a job? Then the teenager would have to quit their job because they have no way to get to it.

Anonymous says2013-03-24T04:15:54.313
great work guys!!
Anonymous says2013-09-22T23:44:51.447
Up last year over 5013 teens diead from ages 13 to 19
ROCKYNGUYEN says2013-11-28T06:32:09.237
I think that the legal driving age should not be raised to eighteen and should stay the way it is now, at the age 16. First, I believe that learning and practicing make better and safer adult drivers. Eighteen-year-old drivers have fewer wrecks because they have been driving since they were sixteen. If they began to drive at eighteen, they would become safer drivers at twenty. Furthermore, age is not the problem, but the problem is people who do not understand and follow the rules. What is different between young people aged at 16 and 18 learning safe driving laws, and learning responsibility? Age is not the problem - responsibility is! Finally, the next generation belongs to the youth. One way to show trust in them is to give them important responsibilities. Young people should learn how to drive as soon as they could. For these reasons, I believe that there is absolutely no need to raise the driving age.
christophe.71 says2013-12-03T11:50:01.993
Maybe it's not the age that should be changed, although at 16 not everybody is mature enough for the responsibility of being in charge of such a machine! But as I witnessed in the USA, is the type of cars and the state of disrepair those young drivers (and older ones too) are using. I explain. I am French, I live in the UK and I am married to a woman from Minnesota. So I have been around quite a few countries and witnessed first hand the roads that we all go onto. At 14 I was allowed on a small automatic two wheeler. It was freedom, no need for mum or dad to take me places anymore. But I also know full well that I was not always safe in my ability to control the vehicle due to inexperience. I lived and moved on to extremely fast motorcycle and cars (not that fast compared to the bikes). I do not know how hard it is to get your driving licence in the states but for what my wife told me, she passed her test in an automatic and learnt to drive a manual after, in traffic. Well clutch control should be mastered first before you go in rush hour traffic, no? Also I am told that to pass your motorcycle test in Minnesota you only have a written test. That's madness!! The state of a lot of cars of US road is scary. In Europe ALL vehicles are subjected to regular control for safety of all. One last thing, restricting the type of cars and engines and performance for the younger driver would help. Do not tell me that a 16 yrs old at the wheels of an old, let's say Camaro, with a lot of Bhp, with critical components like brakes or steering in bad condition is a safe thing! So what I am saying is that it may not be the age the problem alone. So better training and better regulations and restrictions would most likely solve a lot of accidents and deaths on the road. I will aslo add that it can be applied to older drivers too. Keep your wits about while driving/riding out there. Take it that they are all out to kill you and develop a survival instinct. It has been proven that motorcyclist are better drivers (not all of them of course) as they are more aware of their surrounding. Man I would have loved to be able to drive legally at 16. Had to wait til I was 18 and in the end it made no difference to my life.
timmyboy1 says2014-03-13T13:45:06.907
Its due to inexpeirence not age