Should the names of sex offenders be made public?

• Sex offenders have no rights.

Once somebody commits a sexual crime, they have given up their right to anonymity. As a parent, I want to be very aware of the sexual offenders who may be near my children. The sexual registry list is a good tool that all parents should visit. This list should be updated and verified by law enforcement regularly.

• Yes they should be known as publically as possible!

This is a very interesting subject, and while it should be compromised more than it is, given the choice of being aware of the sex offenders in my area then not knowing I will always choose to know about the potential danger around me. This is in our instinct to want to be aware of all potential threats in order to best protect ourselves and others.

• Well of course!

They should be made public because you could need a babysitter and you would pick someone you knew, but do you really know them? For all you know that could be a sex offender planning to rape your child. Your never going to live with yourself for not knowing who they really are if that happens.

• Yes sex offenders should be named and shamed

Yeah I think they should be named and shamed because I don’t think that it’s right for people to do that sort of thing to people who don’t do anything wrong. I think they deserve to be punished and shamed for what they have done because it’s a shame on the people who are the victim to this and they should go to jail because even if they don’t go to jail they will still do it again and again. Then if they do they should be killed for what they have done because they should be badly punished for what they done they deserve everything that comes their way in life we should give them no mercy. They can effect most of people’s lives and they should be punished for what they did or done. People should understand how they affect people lives and what they done to people they can be ruined for life so people should realize what they done and do something about it instead of just sitting there acting like nothing happened or ever happened.

• Of course they should

Sex offenders like other criminals are likely to commit their mistake again and I would not want myself nor my kids to be around one of them. We have to protect our society and do whatever we can and knowing the names of sex offenders gives us the chance to be more alert and think twice if to trust them or not.

• Of course they should

• Yes, they should ALWAYS remain public.

This is an obvious answer. Yes, they should. Do you want, for example, Old Man Jenkins or some other person to come and get your children? Would you like him to babysit your kids? I believe their names should be made public because I do not want to get got by someone and I think you do not want to either. If I move into a neighborhood, I want to know if it is safe. It is not 100% safe if there is a sex offender that lives there. I am not saying that the neighborhood is awful, and you should never live there. I am just saying that you should have the ability to find out if there is one nearby. I am not saying that only old dudes are the only people doing this either. Men and woman, young and old and any race or ethnic group, can be a sex offender. You do not know if any of your neighbors are. My father is a Sheriff's Deputy so he knows a lot more than I and he works with these kind of people. I believe that sex offender's names should be made public for these reasons.

• No pedos allowed

No pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowedno pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowedno pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowedno pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed

• No pedos allowed

No pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowedno pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowedno pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowedno pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed
    no pedos allowed

• The names of sex offenders should be public knowledge.

This knowledge should be made for public access because a sex offender is not going to clearly state that information to you. If they're someone like your neighbor or your office-worker, that information could save you from being harassed and possibly hurt. Speaking as someone who has not only witnessed a neighbor harass my mother, but has also been harassed myself, that information is something to be known because otherwise the situations we were put in could have been avoided.

• Sex offenders who have completed their sentences have rights

They are the only criminal class that is targeted for continued lifelong punishment after they're released from state supervision. The public cannot differentiate at a glance as to who is a dangerous offender and who made a stupid mistake or was wrongfully convicted. There is a real danger of vigilantism and publicizing their names (and the info required goes far beyond just their names) is an invasion of privacy of the wives, children and families of these offenders, which is an invasion of privacy no other class of criminal faces.

• It's just a list

The actual knowledge may make the public more anxious than they actually need to be. Many people are actually on the list because of a simple mistake they made when they were younger. Many sex offenders reasons for making the list are very inaccurate as know one knows the real reasons their names are on the list.

• It's just a list

• Ignores real threats

There are too many people on the registry who pose no public safety risk for it to be effective., and the majority of sex crimes are committed by someone who is not on the registry. At best it's ineffective and at worst it puts the innocent family members of offenders in danger.

• Beacuse i have been beat up four times because of the registered sex offender list

Once you pay your debt to society you should not have to worry about being on some list...
    Kna what i mean?
    They gonna put us on a list even though our punishmnet is over. Do they do that to other felons? No. And thats why i shouldnt be on a list either.

• Nah man, prolly not

Not good for the person that did rape and stuff. They could get yelled at or something and that could make their mom mad at them, and if their mom was mad at them then they could lose dinner for a week. Do you see the defects of that now?

• We all deserve privacy.

I understand the emotional response to wanting a publicly viewable registry, but it doesn't logically make sense. What crimes qualify to mark citizens as sex offenders varies so wildly in severity, that someone charged with public urination could be put on the same list as a child rapist. Additionally, other crimes, that could be argued are just as if not more dangerous than sex crimes, do not require a registry. Violent crime, robbery, drunk driving, etc.
    You never know the exact circumstances that led to someone being put on a sex offender registry and what kind of danger, if any, they might be to the community. Not only are sex offender registries useless for determing neighborhood safety, but they are needlessly ruining lives.

• It's important to give everyone a second chance to start their life

Be nice to people. It doesn't make any sense to punish anyone for such a long time and making them afraid of other people judging them. Everybody might do something wrong in their life. If you can forgive yourself, why can't you forgive them? Those people can be as nice as anybody.

• No, absolutely not!

If they have already served their sentence and are off of state supervision, I feel as though their name should be removed from the list. Having their name on the list 40 years after the crime has been committed is ridiculous, not to mention humiliating as well. The list of names brings about the potential for hatred and vigilantism amongst the community, and even sex offenders have the right to feel safe in their own home and community.

• Wake up people!

DUI registry? No
    Domestic Violence registry? No
    Murder registry? No
    Bad Parenting registry? No
    Crooked Politician registry? No
    Crooked Police registry? No
    By all means ANY crime deserves justice however why is there a need to punish people twice for the same crime? Ok America lets even the planfield, put my ancestors slave masters family on the registry so I can find them. This is PURE slavery to me!