Should the Navy keep the Gideon Bibles in their hotel rooms?

Asked by: Jikpamu
  • I have an interesting story about a Gideon Bible...

Reference: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/08/15/navy-tells-lodges-to-put-bibles-back-in-rooms.html?comp=7000023317828&rank=1

(or) Reference: http://ffrf.org/news/media

When I was hospitalized in March of 2013 over a mental illness concern, when I first got there I was more than a little combative with the staff since I was not in my right mind.

However I requested a Bible because I am a Christian and was given a Gideon NKJV Bible.

It's interesting that there was a "crease" in one of the pages so I opened my Gideon Bible which I had requested to the page with the crease and it was creased on 1 Thessalonians Chapter 5. I noted these 2 verses:

1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 (NKJV)
    (12) And we urge you, brethren, to recognize those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,
    (13) and to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. Be at peace among yourselves.

So I decided I would obey the hospital staff and 8 days later I got out of the hospital and fervently started reading God's Word, the Holy Bible.

I have now read it 6 times cover-to-cover since I was released from the hospital.

I used to be on 6 Psychotropic Drugs. I now am on only one: 3mg of Risperidone (a low dose).

If Robin Williams had been a Christ-follower and Bible-believer could his problems with mental illness have been repaired?

• Separation of Church and state.

Unless the hotels are owned and operated by private businesses which happen to function on base, there should be no religious text provided in the hotels.

If someone wants a particular text left in the hotel room, they can specifically request it and the business should provide it.

But no, they shouldn't put the Gideon's Bible above other religious texts.