• Yes it should

The NCAA does not serve a useful function whatsoever in our society, so yes of course it should be abolished. For what purpose can it possibly serve? What good does it do for our society? None whatsoever so it should be time to abandon such practices and organizations right about now.

• It should be abolished as we know it

I would just say revise, but it so messed up, hypocritical and out of touch that it just cannot exist the way it does. Hanging on to the BCS for years even though it utilizes a secretive formula is one example. The BCS also rewarded talented schools for demolishing lesser schools Dan Wetzel is the authority on this issue. The hypocrisy of investigating athletes for financial benefits while they sold jerseys and video games with players' likeness and jersey numbers is another issue. Jay Bilas is the authority on this issue. Lastly (not last of all, just for this example) they come down with a hammer on Penn State athletes who did absolutely nothing wrong while everyone else involved who looked the other way are the only ones who should be punished.

The NCAA is made up of administrators who have grown too comfortable sitting in cushy offices instead of being down in the action with the athletes and coaches. If they were more involved in this manner, they would make choices that make more sense. I don't think there should be nothing running college athletics, I just don't see how it can be this corrupt organization.

• The NCAA exploits college players for profit!

Like everything else in our decaying society, money has corrupted college sports to a level where it is no longer salvageable. The hypocrisy of this organization who actively profits from its unpaid labor source (the players.) while simultaneously punishing them for receiving any compensation is beyond ridiculous. I would rather see the purveyors of this organization behind bars then continually milking the young student athletes. They are vultures and need to be abolished once and for all.

• Bogus rules, overreach exploitation: NCAA lining its own pockets off free labor

The NCAA needs to go. Too many rules, too much reach into "student-athletes'" lives, too many restrictions, too many unfair and inconsistent rulings on violations. Why is such a disgusting organization still existing? Where is the lawyer that will have the courage to take down the corruption. I agree with a European model with club teams. Those who are serious about playing pro sports can go play club sports, perhaps even get drafted to those clubs. Major college sports are too much big money to have any integrity left. Even the Division II and III levels ought to go in favor of semipro and club sports to train athletes who want to play pro. Let's get college back to the root of what it was intended to be: quality education to train people for the workforce.

• Corrupt, unfair, and overreaching

The NCAA has obvious an obvious bias, which is constantly apparent, thanks to its horrid decision-making. It consistently favors schools that generate more money and denigrates schools that try to abide by the rules. Corruption in college sports is rampant, and the NCAA does nothing about it. There is no just system for determining punishments for universities that do break NCAA rules. Judgements are wholly subjective. The NCAA's latest decision, to move championships away from the state of North Carolina is an egregious overreach. The NCAA has no place in politics and should not make decisions involving universities and student athletes based on politics. I am sorry to say that I can no longer support my alma mater's athletic teams due to their association with such a corrupt enterprise.

• The NCAA is a Loathesome Organization

In my thinking, there is no excuse for their dilatory proceedings. They are exasperating! Couple this with their holier-than-thou pronouncements, lack of consideration for the student athlete community, which includes administrators, students, and fans, and we have a self regulatory organization that has run amok, and is continuously abusing its discretion. Disgusting!

• NCAA prevents free markets to work

The NCAA protects men's football and basketball at the expense of all other sports. The distribution of scholarships needs a major overhaul. Because these sports can turn a profit at a handful of major universities, all other NCAA schools must follow their rules. The NCAA caves in to football coaches who complain about any scholarship reductions (as if 85 aren't enough to field a team). As a result, college sports are dying off for men and women's sports are finding it hard to acquire enough athletes in sports that are the result of Title IX requirements.

• DO I really need to explain

It is simple: benefit to cost ratio. Sports generate revenue which in turn should be spent to promote sports. Key factor: Does the school need the sports program to assist in financial support for educational programs or could this be a group of egotistical but most likely insecure people, that believe a great football (or whatever) team helps their goal of promoting better education. I believe that no pay, no extra anything, except free tuition, books, food and lodging should be offered to any athletic. If you can not pass the course per the college (school) then dig ditches or whatever. Ability to play a sport has nothing to do with becoming a productive element of society. We should be ashamed that this subject is being discussed. It is just a game, it does not effect your daily life or the future of the world. Get over it!!!!!!!!

• NCAA is very necessary in this day of Big Money College Sports - who else will protect the farce

The NCAA touts Academics on its website therefore it must be true. The fact that it says it has no authority over Academic scandals that last 18 years should be overlooked due to all the money they help bring in. Remember it is all about money and the NCAA is very good at that - not so good at any other things listed on their Mission Statement. So let them stay in control so they keep their jobs & stimulate the economy - after all they represent the true ideal in America - Money should rule!

• Why should it?

I mean the ncaa isn`t the best at rules but it`s needed because if they are abolished then what about the kids at college who want to play sports but nope there is no more ncaa. I like the ncaa the way it is I mean sure it has a few flaws but everything does.

• No, it does a lot of right things.

I think that the NCAA is an organization that does have its fair share of problems, but then again who doesn't? They do a lot of things right though, and there really is no reason for anyone to suggest that they as a group should be abolished. That's what I say.

• No, it would be better to fix the problems.

There may be problems with how the NCAA is run, but its purpose is important. Without the NCAA, another association would still be needed to perform similar functions. It would be more efficient and economical to correct the problems rather than trying to start up another group. Perhaps abolition will ultimately be necessary, but I think that should only be a last resort option.

• No it should not

The NCAA should not be abolished but it should be greatly changed. The NCAA commits obvious violations and benefits off of kids working for free. The NCAA, however, provides great opportunities for children and gives them chances of fame and fortune that were never present before. The NCAA needs a makeover rather than being shutdown. It is way too big and crucial to the sports world to be abolished.

• No It Shouldn't

The NCAA should not be abolished. I agree that some of the things they have done in the past aren't the most ethical or smart things to do, but they are needed. Instead of abolishing it, we need to monitor them more closely and get the to do what is right.