Should the NCAA govern the formation and alignment of collegiate athletic conferences?

• Yes

Yes,the NCAA govern the formation and alignment of collegiate athletic conferences.As a general rule, the level of resources an institution commits to intercollegiate
    athletics determines in which division it competes within the NCAA, a
    factor that often correlates with size, with the largest institutions clustered
    in Division.The increased exposure that accompanies a move up to Division I can be
    significant.

• The NCAA should play a role -- without forsaking the ability of others

I think that the NCAA should govern the formation and alignment of collegiate athletic conferences -- but that does mean that the institutions also involved should not have a say in any of these decisions. In this way, I do not believe that the NCAA should have full on authority over all things. The NCAA's role within such collegiate athletics is to be a mediator, leader, and unbiased adviser to maintain such conferences and sport competition. The role of the NCAA is expansive and they should govern such conferences as such.

• There needs to be a chooser.

The National collegiate athletic association is built to judge athletic competitions while maintaining an unbiased stance. If colleges were to judge athletics they would attack each other and there wouldn’t be much judging or fairness. With the NCAA there are for the most part unbiased sports authorities that can make sure sports are fair and safe.

• No I don't think the NCAA should govern the formation and alignment of collegiate conferences

I think quite frankly they control too much as to what goes on in universities as it is already. To allow them to control what moves they could make or couldn't make, and in effect dictate who they can play and who they can't, would only give them more power. So no I don't think the NCAA should be governing the formations and alignments of conferences, that should be left up to the schools themselves, and really if anything I think the NCAA should have LESS control over the schools not more.