Should the 'No Child Left Behind' act be repealed or eliminated?

Asked by: BurningSnoMan
  • It is a flawed system

It is one example of a reason many teachers, "teach to the test". Everything is standardized and rather than the students learning learning what they need to know, they learn only what they need to pass a test. It doesn't have enough individual student distinction and there is not an effective method for helping struggling students unless you go outside their framework.

• I've been through the act myself.

And let's say you fail a grade. It does not help you at all and they don't give you extra classes or try to help you with those specific things that you failed in. What the teachers and the districts do is they bump the student up to the next grade and change their F's to passing. And so the student has a 50% chance of actually learning anything the next year but will still be behind in his/her classes. The NCLB should have not existed and I resent the act. It caused me issues in middle school but I managed to get through it with a good grade.

• You u u

Yeah dhchxuhshdjdhdhdhdhdh jcjdj u u u u u u u u u u by j u u u u u u u u u u u h vulnerability . . U u . U. Hi u u u h vulnerability u u . H u huh huh h u u

• Suspend "No Child Left Behind"!!

This law is the worst. Barely anyone likes school, even though there are nice teachers. They expect us to be perfect. They expect us to be blind, obedient robots with no feelings or thoughts. This law is just churning out a bunch of mindless, robotic clones that only memorize information that will be forgotten later; not knowledge. We should be forming kids to be critical thinkers, who are deviants and are creative. It also vanquishes creativity, and it hasn't improved student performance. School is just a shallow competition now of who's the best, not a harmonious place where we learn at our own pace. In addition, school should consider the feelings of kids, aka HUMAN BEINGS. I've heard kids are even driven to suicide because of school. Any place that makes someone do that is an underworld. School should also provide better counseling for kids with depression and other issues.

• It sounds good on paper, but in practice NCLB is destroying public education.

The emphasis on high-stakes testing is draining resources away from classroom instruction. The intensity of the pressure to get every kid to "pass" the test, means that ALL of a school's resources go into getting every kid to pass the test. Nothing else. AnyTHING or anyONE who can not advance this goal is utterly neglected. Super high kids, who are sure to pass the test no matter what, are not helped to advance their talents. Super low kids, who are unlikely to pass no matter what, are ignored. Any topics that are not on the test are simply not taught. So ALL of the school's resources go into helping the kids who are slightly below average to pass the test in regard to the tested items. I mean ALL.

• It shouldn't necessarily be repealed as much as it should be improved.

It is without a doubt a flawed system that seems more like an act of desperation than something that genuinely wants to help kids. It is a fantastic idea but we need to completely redo it. Rather than forcing kids to do better than last years kids we should have a minimum gpa requirement for schools to meet. Not necessarily every year but maintaining gpa's over the course of a few years.

• Learn for life, not the test

I've seen first hand what this act has done to our school system. Kids who are constantly speaking out about not being prepared for college, how to buy a car, pay taxes, or tackle any aspect of their imminent adult lives. I know students who will remember the Pythagorean Theorem for a month so that they can test on it, but won't be able to apply it to their daily lives. These kids are having facts and theories and novels hammered into their brains so that they can score well on the exam, but in the process their love for learning is being destroyed. If you're forced to read 70 pages of text per night, and you're constantly focused on retaining what's needed for the test, you're not able to appreciate and contemplate the ideas that are being presented to you. To me, this is the biggest injustice. No Child Left Behind has done a disservice to the minds of our youth. Students need to have the love of learning instilled in them so that they can question their lifestyles, politics, and their government. This opportunity has been destroyed in our public schools, and it began with No Child Left Behind.

• Learn for life, not the test

• Just Do It

It wouldnt hurt just to rid it b/c who needs it. It isnt necessary and not worth while for schools and teachers to be basically controlled by Washington for how they teach and how students have to learn. It is absurd and must be repeals or at least amended. Thank you

• It needs to be repealed for sure

I myself has had problems with the school because I catch everything under the sun. Our school only has 10 days that you can miss without doctors notes every 18 weeks so this is so difficult because I miss about 15 and sometimes more. I would really like to go to school more often but I just get sick easily. This law has made the school send me nasty letters just because I am sick and it may only be a bad cold that I don't need to go to the doctor for. So this at least needs to be changed if not repealed

• No the act does not have to be removed

The No Child left behind act should not be repealed. It has a lot of good qualities to it. The issue is most schools are finding they can't live up to the requirements. I don't see a reason to repeal because we fail. It helps to get schools to answer to a higher quality.