Should the parents of a Spina Bifida baby have the choice of letting their baby go untreated?

• Yes they do have the right

Yes parents should have the right to make the medical decisions for their children including in cases of spina bifida. It is important to make sure that the parents are fully educated on the matter and making a choice that fits. The best interest of the child should always be at the forefront.

• The parents of spina bifida babies should be able to choose how their child is treated, if at all.

While I believe that it would be very remiss not to treat this awful defect, it cannot be mandated by the government or healthcare system how children are treated. That decision must be left up to the children's parents or guardians. If not it would be a very difficult legal line to draw where the rights to the child lay.

Posted by: CurvyErich46
  • My child has Spina Bifida

It shocked me how when during my scan, when they discovered my child had it, that their first suggestion was to kill my baby... when it turns out that my child wasn't even affected by it that much. During that time, I learned a lot about how Spina Bifida can affect a child. Some don't have normal bodily functions, some can't walk, some have to stay in hospital all their lives. I think it definitely should be compulsory to treat the child, as it would give it a better chance in life.

• That baby is still a precious human life, and they deserve a chance.

The ancient Spartans would take babies that were deformed and deliberately kill them to protect the quality of the population. We consider that barbaric today. I think not treating a baby because of a serious deformity would be barbaric, also.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • I think that children should be treated if there are acceptable treatment options.

I think it is sad when a baby with Spina Bifida or other conditions are not treated when there are several treatment options. I can understand a parents concern of not wanting to use new and never before tried options for treatment yet when something has been around like Spina Bifida and there are several treatment options they can choose from, parents aren't doing their job.

Posted by: PointlessElbert47
  • Any ailment for a child left untreated is unethical, because it can affect their growth and development.

If a child had a serious rash, you would treat that rash. A problematic circumstance like Spina Bifada should be considered much more than a rash, so it's simply a no-brainer.

Posted by: NumberlessClemente63
  • I am against suffering for all humans, so, no matter what age they are, they deserve the best and most care and concern that the world can give

There is no room in this world for letting someone suffer. We are all equal in God's eyes. Even the worst cases need to be given the most medical care that we can give. Technology changes every day, and cures are found at the most unexpected time. God's will is for us to not suffer.

Posted by: RabidSean44
  • No, that is absolutely ridiculous when it is possible to save their baby!

Certain forms of this birth defect are not as severe, but some forms require surgery. Any parent should want their child to live! Letting a child die when the chance of saving them is right there should certainly never be an option! Life is always worth every single penny it might cost.

Posted by: DizzyCasey
  • Parents of children with Spina Bifida should not be given a choice about whether or not to treat their child, because it's the child's right to be taken care of.

Every living child should be given the right to thrive and live life to their best abilities. Reasonable medical assistance for that child could add to the quality of his or her life.

Posted by: SavoryLou26
  • Parents of a baby with Spina Bifida should not have the choice of letting their child go untreated, because it's the parents obligation to make a normal life for their child.

The parents of a baby with Spina Bifida should not have the option of allowing their child to go untreated. The reason for this, and for any baby with a serious condition, is that the child is too young to make its own decisions, and thus the decision that may result in the child having a more normal life should be chosen. If the child is treated, and then later on in life chooses to ignore or not have treatment, then that is its right. But, if the child later on wants treatment and the parents didn't treat them when they were young, then that child will be unable to adequately treat their disease at a later time and live a normal life.

Posted by: J Snyder
  • All Living beings deserve a chance at life.

In this day an age, Spina Bifida can be treated and the individual effected can have a very good shot at a normal life. If treated early and with the necessary aftercare therapy, Spina Bifida is no longer a life-long sentence of pain and physical limitations. We need to inform all parents of a child suffering from Spina Bifida that there are numerous treatment options available.

Posted by: AliveBuster42
  • Parents should not be allowed to stop needed medical treatment for their children.

The quality and of health and length of life could greatly be increased with the proper medical treatment of Spina Bifida. Treating the condition early can also cause any more damage to occur to the spinal column. Parents should be obligated to make sure their children get the best medical care possible.

Posted by: GaudyTory37