Should the Pledge of Allegiance be said in schools?

• People died for that flag just so that we can say what we want and to say it's wrong is unpatriotic, un American it's wrong.

I really do not need a supporting argument it is enough. The pledge of allegiance should and will keep being said in my school and I will make sure of it. For those of you that disagree I am not angered at you I just say that this creed is for justice and America what about freedom of speech.

• My God and only my God

I find it some what confusing that some have a problem with God being in the pledge (considering more than 95% of the nation believes in God). A few even suggest that it violates freedom of religion by preferring Christianity over other religions. If I were a non-Christian I would take offense to that suggestion. That suggestion pretty much implies that other religions are godless; since the only reference in the pledge is "under God". There is nothing said about a Christian God.

• Yea why not?

In a public school it's education given by the government so you should say it. For those who say the "under god" is against the constitution...The constitution says the government can't prefer one religion or restrict another so saying that doesn't do either. And to the atheists, you're not a religion, by definition religions must believe in a god, so don't try to get politically correct with me.

• Creating a Nationalistic Sentiment in Children from a Young Age

It is important that from a young age children learn what it is to be an American and supporting their country UNDER GOD. This country was founded on Christianity and I find it confusing that someone would want to take "under God" out of the pledge. Taking God out of everything is not the way to go about improving this country.

• The Pledge of Allegiance in schools should conclude with it continuing. It's a historical reminder of what this country is about.

I argue that the Pledge of Allegiance has been around since 1892 and since then it has been altered to please many people over time. Francis Bellamy, a Baptist minister first wrote the Pledge of Allegiance as a reminder. "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" (John Baer). A pledge means a promise, a promise that you make to this country. Allegiance means that you are loyal; to be loyal is to commit to the country your entering. Saying “to the flag” is a symbolism of the country itself. “To the republic” means a place where people get to vote and “one nation” stands for the entire country of 50 states.””Under God’ is intended to show that a higher power blesses or at least looks positively on the type of country America is. Indivisible simply states that our country can never be broken up for any reason. “With liberty” means, we the people have the freedom to do what we want without lives as well as be who we want. We don’t have to be like everyone else. Lastly, “and justice for all” means, all who live and, or enter this country will be treated as fairly as possible; no one is favored over another.

• "Under God" is an expression from the time it was written.

I have always said the pledge in school. I always felt that "Under God", referred to the idea that we were a free country and under no one else's sway. God was a much more accepted concept at the time. It was a time before social media was able to give everyone a louder voice with which to attack standing values and traditions of American morality. I don't think it's a religious reference at all in it's intention, and definitely not intended to force any belief structure or church membership of any kind upon anyone. I'm not against re-wording the pledge, as long as the meaning stays the same, but it is important.

• Yes, the pledge reminds students of the country's founding principles.

It is important to remind school aged children of the importance of the pledge and the ideals upon which the nation was founded. Too often kids do not know enough about Americas foundation and why this nation holds the beliefs that it does. As they get older students will come to appreciate what America stands for.

• Yes, it honors our country

It is a Honor thing why we should do it. The soldiers risk their lives everyday to protect our right to be in school and we need to do as little as honor them by saying the pledge of allegiance. After all this is America and we need to respect the very blanket of freedom it provides.

• As we let go of our traditions, we lose who we are.

The truth is that not everyone believes in God. They certainly do not have to believe in the christian God to use the currency that is circulated through this country though. It is a tradition that has stuck with our country since it's inception and defines the idea's and perceptions of the people who constructed this great country. In order to swear allegiance to something is not to say that you believe in every ideal or tradition that it may contain. When I swore to support and defend the constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic... I really didn't agree with President Bush and all of his ideas, but I did however, believe strongly in my country. I may never agree with our government or its decisions but I am a patriot and I will be saying the pledge of allegiance every morning with my hand over my heart until I die because I am pledging allegiance to the idea that I love my country and it is worth repeating that I am still willing to lay down my life in service of my neighbors.

• This is America

I am 69 and I believe in the Pledge of Allegiance and prayer in schools. I am a American and I have values that I believe to be right. My husband was a 30 Naval officer and he felt the same. I am saddened at the way our country is going. We should honor our flag with the pledge. I am in a group and we say it every week before we start our meeting. We are all proud of our right to do so and no one will ever stop us.

• From a student...

The way that we have to say the pledge in school is ridiculous. We have to say, "Under God". Seeing as the constitution says that this is illegal, it is a waste of class time that could be used for learning. For all of the aforementioned reasons, the pledge should not be recited in schools.

• One word: BRAINWASHING

Blatant statism. US schools are indoctrination camps for breeding up the next generation of war mongering ministers. One has to see the parallels in all the other failed regimes before you fall for it.

Americans need to stop lying to themselves. The pledge is creepy statist brainwashing. Practically forcing 5-14 year olds to chant some statist mantra everyday all while holding their heart is incredibly weird. It's something North Korea would do.

• Religion and Government

I don't believe we should be forcing any child to say the pledge, especially the way it is currently. After all, we preach freedom (religious and otherwise), and then add "god" to everything we do. The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892 by Francis Bellamy, who was a Baptist minister. It was read, "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." It was designed to be recited in 15 seconds, and was intended to be very direct and to-the-point. In 1923, the National Flag Conference called for the words "my Flag" to be changed to "the Flag of the United States", so that new immigrants would not confuse loyalties between their birth countries and the United States. Bellamy disliked this change, because it disrupted the melodic rhythm of the original composition. The words "of America" were added a year later. The US Congress officially recognized the pledge on June 22, 1942. It read, "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." This is the technically correct form of the pledge, because "under God" wasn't added until 1954. If you believe this is the correct form of the pledge, you are SORELY mistaken. The Treaty with Tripoli, written in 1796, which was unanimously ratified the following year by Congress reads; "...The government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion." These are the facts, because the US was never intended to be religious. The US is supposed to be a FREE COUNTRY, not a CHRISTIAN NATION. What ever happened to separation of church and state? And besides, this take up valuable time, which could be better spent on learning. Thank you for your time.

• I believe that we SHOULD say the pledge of allegiance in schools,

BUT we SHOULDN'T have to say it every day or be forced to say it. It does indeed say, in the first amendment, that we should have freedom of religion. If you think for a moment though, the government does have the power to change this (though they haven't done so) and they are responsible for most of our actions. I think that the parents could choose whether or not their child will say the pledge. The phrase "Under God", that lies within the pledge, has stricken up a debate as well. I believe that we should say "Under God" if we want to, or we could say, "(who we think is top priority; their particular God)". I respect America, but being forced to recite something everyday isn't always the best option to prove your loyalty to America. The pledge being recited once a week is good enough for me. Is it good enough for you?

• Nationalism, Fascism, and Exceptionalism

The reciting of an oath of support to a specific nation sounds, to an extent, Orwellian, and it seems a contradiction that a nation which nominally supports from of religion and speech should blatantly violate it. Specifically, the segments "the United States of America" and "under god" propagandize children into being arrogantly nationalistic and religious, which can lead to increased wars and conflicts.

• There is not "freedom and justice for all."

Until I can get married to the woman of my dreams in any state I choose, there is not freedom and justice for all. Until Darren Wilson is actually prosecuted and brought to justice, there is not freedom and justice for all. This is a great country, but when the pledge lies that's when you know something is wrong.

• Violates 1st Amendment

The Establishment Clause of the 1st amendment states with admirable clarity that no state religion shall be established. Any endorsement of religion by the government is unconstitutional, and goes against this country's true values. It is a secular nation, not a christian one, and the views of the majority do not undo the rights of the minority.

• Discrimination and Brainwashing

I, for one, believe that the Pledge of Allegiance should not be recited every morning of school. When kids are beginning to start their first years at primary school, they are being brain washed into reciting the pledge. Quite a few teachers imply that everyone must stand out of respect. Not everyone is from the US and nor should they have to be forced to stand for something they do not believe in. Technically it is illegal for any teacher to force a student to stand or recite the pledge. Best part yet, the government puts too much religion into politics. As an Agnostic, those who recite the pledge are pledging to something non-existing like God.

Never had I stood for the pledge as I got older and realized it is irrelevant and means nothing. I always remain seated without distraction or interference to others. If I want to remain seated, I need justification why I choose not to stand. It is beyond absurd at how teachers are having students be stripped away from their education to have a private chat with them about their "disrespectful selves".

• The Pledge is making a promise.

The Pledge is making a promise to defend your country and to always believe in it, but what if you know you won't? What if you would rather live somewhere else? And when you are arrested for treason and they ask why you said the pledge as a child in school, you'll say because I was forced.

• Brainwashing, forcing, and violating? Who would want to participate in that?!

I personally feel that requiring students to recite the pledge of allegiance is a form of brainwashing. Students are told to stand up, put their right hand over their heart, and say the pledge. Young students don't even understand why they're doing this and what the pledge really means. And even if they do know that it's a way to honor their country, are they actually going to know what "honoring" means? Secondly, as others have stated above, it violates the first amendment! That amendment was adopted on December 15, 1791 while the pledge was formally adopted by Congress in 1942. So one-hundred and fifty-one years later our country decided to establish the pledge of allegiance, encouraging others to recite the words "One nation, under God" while there are plenty of Americans that do not believe that. If we are taught of have freedom of religion, why is the pledge forcing us to assume God oversees us? I believe there are many more logical reasons not to say the pledge in schools than there is to say it. I understand it is meant to honor the country, but it doesn't seem right to say it everyday in schools.

Anonymous says2013-03-21T02:08:33.093
no one who has voted for it has made a legitimate point for their argument, coincidence?