Should the purpose of life be the pursuit of happiness?

• Happiness should be the ultimate goal in anyone's life.

People should do what makes them happy. What is the purpose of existence if you are going to spend it being miserable? What makes people happy can vary greatly from one person to the next. Some people want a simple life with little responsibility. Others are driven to work hard and succeed. But whatever makes you happy is what you should pursue.

• You only get one life.

The pursuit of happiness is very important in life. As the saying goes, "You only live once"! You should strive to make the most out of the one life you get. To do that, you must do the things that are important to you. I find, that when I am doing things that are important to me, I feel a since of meaning to my life. A meaningful equates to a happy life well spent.

• Yes, in a broad sense.

The purpose of life should be the pursuit of happiness while respecting the happiness of others as well. The things we do, such as work and pay bills, are so we can be comfortable and happy, but if you don't treat others nicely they won't do the same for you. It's hard to be happy if everyone is hurting each other, so the pursuit of happiness with respect for others should be the purpose of life.

• Yes it should

Yes, I think that the main reason that we are here is to have a child and pass on our genes, and while you are doing that you need to try to have as much fun as you can, so that you will be able to die with a good and fun life behind you.

• Yes It Should

I believe happiness is a vital part of life and for some, like myself, it is a good purpose for life. I am not particularly concerned with success, so happiness is my ultimate goal. Even though I am poor I still have the opportunity to seek out happiness because the things that truly make me happy are generally divorced from financial matters.

• My opponent must show that such a list of rights (not necessarily the same rights) can be made from a secular perspective.

“When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

• Yes, it is, but it should be reserved for the afterlife unless it is the result of achieving success.

In theory, in the last nanosecond of the universe, intelligent life will have so much energy that it will be able to bring back every single sentience that ever existed and increase their rate of thought to an infinite pace using all of the energy in the universe, giving them an essentially infinite lifetime, even if they are technically less than a second from the universe ending. This is the omega theory, and i have assumed that it is what the atheists would call heaven. This would be a time to be happy with our loved ones for eternity. The goal of our lives now is to be successful and prosperous, and to ensure the success of others and the continuation of our species. I do support having happiness in this life here, notably when you have helped someone in need or succeeded in a life goal. However, the pursuit of happiness would imply rejecting all of your other obligations as a human, and I do not find that acceptable.