Should the reading of poetry be required for college students who are not English majors?

• Yes, the reading of poetry should be required

Yes, the reading of poetry should be required for all college students, even if their major is not English. Poetry is not only beautiful, but the interpretation of poetry is good practice at using critical thinking sills, analyzing things like analogies, and thinking outside the box. All people would benefit from these skills gained from studying poetry.

• Let students decide

No required poetry please, unless you want to make people hate poetry. This is exactly what happens in schools and colleges: wonderful literature is forced on students in such a way that they learn to hate books instead of enjoying and appreciating them. I was forced to not only read but memorize poetry as a kid. I hated it with a passion, and it took quite a while for me to learn to appreciate a good poem.