Should the rights of students be limited in school?

• Yes, but only some of student's rights should be limited

Schools should be able to limit students rights. This should only be allowed to a certain extent though. Student rights should only be LIMITED and not entirely taken away. This should only take place when students display conduct or portray negative and inappropriate messages. This power of schools itself should also be limited. Actions by schools should be carefully reviewed so that they don't exploit this ability.

Schools should have the ability to control students expressions. This power should only be allowed when students display inappropriate conduct. Conduct that portrays messages that negatively effect the school's name or the students and administrators that are a part of the school. Their should be safe guards to this though. It is possible that schools misinterpret their power and exploit/overuse it. Whether schools should take action against a student should be carefully reviewed.

• School needs rules to help kids learn

The rights of students do need some limitations in a school setting. There are things that are not conducive to learning such as vulgar language or references to drugs etc. However, there appear to be some schools that take it too far. For example clothing is one of the most basic ways for a student to express themselves, to require a uniform in a public school is taking these limitations too far. Other districts still will prevent students from talking in groups of more than four, a rule that unnecessary and will only serve to detract from the students' learning experience. The rules and limitations required in school should be as unobtrusive as possible while still providing loose guidelines for a learning environment.

• Yes, but fairly.

Most restrictions on student's freedom of speech falls well within the realms of common sense - for example, preventing students from intentionally disrupting education or encouraging illegal activities. Issues arise, however, when schools selectively censor students - forbidding hijabs but turning a blind eye to cross necklaces, or banning black arm bands as an anti-war message but allowing Confederate memorabilia. These freedoms become increasingly lenient over time. Elementary school students may not have phones at any time, Middle school students only after school, and High school during lunches, between classes, and at other points. Freedom of expression is important and should be allowed, but reasonable limits must be implemented. Children must be taught how to behave in the real world, with all the privileges that come with it.

• Preparing for future

Our rights should be restricted because we are here to learn and prepare for our future. Later in life, when you have a career, you're going to need to know how to act as well as dress because your boss won't let you keep your job if you misbehave and don't follow rules. Coming to school with bad language or suggestive activities that may be illegal would not be accepted in the workplace. Not being allowed to say certain things is good because it will teach you what is acceptable and what isn't. We are in school to learn information as well as to have proper manners. Coming into a classroom and cursing is (1) disrespectful to your teacher and other students, (2) unnecessary and should not be accepted. I honestly don't want to hear you talk that way to anyone. Having these rules teaches students how to act, be respectful to one another, and what is important, like your schoolwork.

• Student rights should be limited

School is a place to learn and take responsibility. Many students if allowed to do "whatever they want" would take advantage of their rights for wrong doings. Especially during current events, it is vital that students stay focused in school. However, as soon as students leave school property their rights are restored. When students graduate and go off to college or into the workforce they still have rules. At work you still have a dress code, a work schedule, and rules on how to behave. I believe that limiting rights of students is crucial to help ready them for life after school.

• Student rights should be limited

• What's Right in School

In regards to the rights of students in school they should be limited. In order to provide a safe and productive place of learning some things must be sacrificed. Yes, the first amendment gives us the freedom of speech, press and the right to assemble. I agree it can be a little silly sometimes, but it's for our own good. You can't go into a public place and scream "fire" or "bomb" because it would cause a panic. Just like in school, you can't go around dropping "f-bombs" because a distraction to the class. Your clothes are also up for debate. If you wear something that you like, good for you, but it could be offensive to the rest. The rights of one person doesn't cancel out the rights of the other students. You donโ€™t have to go to a public school, you could be home schooled to avoid all this. If you do attend a public school or private you need to follow their rules if you want to stay.

• School is for minors, not adults.

Since school is preparing children for the real world, the need for rules is important. Without any rules, most students would take advantage of this freedom and act out. Many things that kids in high school and middle school talk about are not appropriate; trying to hinder this is essentially trying to help student realize what should be said in a public setting and what shouldn't be. The first amendment is vital; however, teaching students socially acceptable behaviors is extremely important in the education system. Schools have to take into account the wellbeing of every student within the school building. Any language that discriminates against any student or put them in harm's way should be taken into consideration due to the fact that the close proximity of the harasser and the victim could eventually lead to a harmful action or violence. Another reason for the obstruction of rules is the fact that most children that are in school are not at their highest maturation; therefore they do not know how to handle most conflicts and situations in the most intelligent manner. Any dispute between two students could eventually lead to violence and this should not be tolerated within any social setting.

• Students rights should be limited

The rights of student should be limited in schools because the rules are there to show them how you should in a workplace setting. If you have a job you cannot go around saying whatever you want there are rules. It also prevent from other students having to hear words that they do not want to hear. Also how schools have dress codes which are important. Even though the law says you can where whatever you want but there will things you have to do that will restrict that. Every job has a dress code that you have to wear even if you do not want to. The rights of students need to be limited because they are children and they need to have rules or there would be chaos.

• Students should be able to say lewd things my dudes!!!!!!

Although there needs to be some rules in school, the rules created are almost always too severe and enforced in a discriminatory fashion. Often, teachers are much like the prison guards from the Stanford prison experiment, in order to enforce their position they unnecessarily punish and look down on students. Rules are also enforced in a discriminatory matter, for instance boys are not dress coded for sagging their pants literally to the ground but IF I SHOW A BIT OF SHOULDER ITS "LEWD" LIKE EXCUSE ME SWEETIE. Lastly, I feel like children should not get in trouble for things that they say because old people don't understand humor. That's all!!!! Remember to R E S P E C T W O M E N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :> ์•ˆ๋…•!!!

• No limited rights.

I believe that we shouldn't have our rights limited in school. They say I'm not allowed to wear a hat? I can't wear that shirt because the guys can see my shoulders? You do know that guys have shoulders too, why are they allowed to wear tank tops to school without getting into trouble, yet I can't wear a simple tank top with wide shoulders because it still shows a little bit of my shoulder. We should have the right to wear whatever we want.

• Just because I'm not like you...

Even in high school, you do not get to speak out against the 'great' education system. To make matters worse, I had a selective memory, ADHD, and to top it all off, Aspergers. So what happens when I forget an assignment?(Fun fact: I had a random piece of trivia from last week memorized. You know, useful stuff.) I get a warning, make a comment about the standards schools have, and my teacher goes all Thought Police on me.

• Three more words

How words are needed to leave a comment on this darn site because 50 words is way too much and I have time to do this because I am in school right now and I have something to do but I dont want to do it becuase its dumb like me

• When teachers cross the line.

If we make the argument that students have no rights, teachers and administrators are given too much power in determining what defines appropriate behavior. Students are expected to treat these adults with respect while the adults can behave in any manner they deem appropriate including threatening children with expulsion or other types of punishment. There are no checks and balance or consequences for their behavior when you take the rights a away from the students.

• Students should have rights

Now I'm in middle school and don't have stupid rules anymore but the rules were pretty ridiculous in elementary school. They were:
    - No hanging out in groups of more than 4
    - Standing in line in alphabetical order
    - You have to exit the cafe by class
    - You cannot make petitions
    - One person in the bathroom at a time
    - The teachers have to make teams (for sports) during recess
    - No running on the playground
    - A ridiculous dress code (ex. No uggs)
    These all go against adult rights and we all hated school. If you want us to get good grades don't make us hate school.

• No, students are American citizens no matter what building they're in.

As a student myself, I can say with certainty that a free and open school environment is much more conducive to learning than a strict, oppressive one. Our 4th and 1st Amendment rights are constantly trampled by teachers made cranky from years of dealing with young adults coupled with their lousy pay. A warrant is unnecessary for any search performed by the school or peace officer assigned to the school. Any search can be performed without consent in the name of safety. Personal property such as cell phones are routinely confiscated and locked away. Once in possession of the phone, they can freely search it as long as they can come up with a reason to suspect the owner. Refusing to submit to the confiscation results in harsh punishment. Increasingly draconian dress codes limit freedom of expression, some districts even going so far as to wipe it out entirely with mandatory uniforms. These rights are the very foundation of our country and should not be subverted by such asinine rules. They're purported to increase safety, but in truth simply turn school from a place of learning into a type of hell.

• We don't have enough

They take and take rights from us and we don't have ballyhooing in what we say. I was recently a middle school student and I can say that we were
    hated by some teachers and I even was told that a young girl was followed by a teacher and even harassed. As a student we don't have any rights

• Student rights should not be limited in school at a certain extent

I believe student rights shouldn't be limited in schools because that's a violation to human rights in general. Besides that, students, especially in higher grade levels, are mature enough to make their own choices and choose whether or not to take their education seriously. Many students in lower grade levels do this as well. Student rights should only be limited when the student goes against school rules.

• Student rights should not be limited in school.

The students go to school for studying everything they want for their life and a school should be a place where they can create their own world that they make as their own and they are fully supported to do so. If every humans should get their basic human rights, every student also should get their own rights. I believe the student rights can help for creating their own thoughts and in self studying for their life what they want to study.