• Since when do we Need Time 'off'?

This paragraph is a response to anonymous: Unless your human body is mutated in ways unknown to the public, needs are classified as things needed to SURVIVE!!! Sitting on the couch and playing television is most likely not going to kill you if you don't get a certain amount of it. And 'kids' basically refers to people who are below the age of earning money-aka kids who are younger are usually lazy and spoiled-as they do nothing to earn money and just get allowance for existing. Kids, are under 12, at least I hope that 13-19 aren't classified as 'kids', as kids probably don't even need a car, *no duh* and experience is only needed for *PEOPLE NOT KIDS* going into college. Kids are not going into college any time soon, so basically they don't care about things they will have to do later in life, until its within a year or something around that when it's needed.

And the other anonymous doesn't make any sense. Having a longer school year loses focus, when school's mark you down for focus loss? If having focus is the main cause of 'failure' then life would be a heck lot easier. And where's your evidence when you state, "Students have a natural tendency of losing interest or steam when studying for a certain period of time, (DEFINE PLEASE).... by the middle of the year students are already starting to feel overworked and start to procrasinate to gain some more free non-stressful time to themselves." First of all, kids procrasinate all the time. Unless your just plain dumb, you probably don't know what modern school is like because it's been a while since you have experienced school. And non-stressful times is still stressful when you procrasinate-and yet again you have no evidence or even a source of where you got this opinion and feelings from. So how is your point even valid, if you are just stating opinions. Please learn how to debate as this website requires valid debating skills.

• Teachers Need Money

For the people who say that school sucks, think about the teachers. They have families, and lets face the facts: they really don't get paid enough. With them having to juggle the costs of taxes, kids needs, and a bunch of other jobs, they need more work time, and guess what? They don't enjoy watching you write essays! They're there to feed their families, people!

• More School Breaks!

In Australia and the UK, they have a 12 month school year.
    Every 2 months they have a week of vacation, they have a break so throughout the school year, they have 6 weeks/42 days and their summer break is 6 weeks, so in total they have 12 weeks and 84 days.

• Schools the life

The reason that most kids dont like school is beacuse the students are rude or werid,the teachers are mean or useless and last the students that dont like school is the way he is or she. They should be longer days since you get the same education as normal but u just get a esetion

• Who doesn't want to go to school?

Who wouldn't want to go to school? School is a place where you can have so many friends and this means more social skills.Also, school teaches you many things that are important to your career and your daily life.In addition,if school was shorter kids will always be nagging their parents to go somewhere to go but at school they have EXCURSIONS!!!

• Yes I do.

I strongly agree the school day/hours should be longer. Why? Because if you think about it you could learn more materials. You could have more experience in school, plus you would have even better people and communication skills. I guarantee you if you were to give a test to the kids that have longer school hours and the regular school day kids, half of the kids who go to school more would pass that test no problem.

• School Year Lengthening

Think about it. So many kids are losing so much over summer that schools are paying to teach them. Teachers are the ones spending time to teach kids that aren't really learning anything in reality. Maybe at the time, but in the end, most kids forget what they learn. We have to stop running this cycle. We need to stop NOW. We need to stop this. This is my point, because we are losing are future's education. These kids are our future. Let's make it brighter.

• Yes

They should extend the school year but give longer breaks in the middle of the year. This would prevent students from loosing information that they learn over a school year. It would also give the students an opportunity to have a longer break in the middle of the year and go on vacation then.

• Summer is too long

Test scores drop between the end of spring and the beginning of fall, that's one improvement that we need to improve tremendously. Shorter summer breaks make us lose what we were taught in school throughout. If we cut that down, we could be able to remember a lot and probably, just maybe our test scores will change, hopefully. Even though we kids are on our phones daily, even in school we are on our phones, The teachers should not allow them to have them because of the simple fact it's a distraction to us. For example: we are in class doing our work and all of a sudden my phone goes out and I pull it out to see the notification. I have a phone addiction problem. I know this because every time my phone ring or vibrates I take my phone out and don't put it up, nor turn it off.
    We should go to school for the time needed to gain the core academic skills and well-rounded education necessary to thrive as individuals and to succeed in today's complex society and high-skills economy. Students need enough time to learn, and read more, and write well, and to handle math comfortably. Students also need time to master science and technology, and grasp history and world affairs. Perhaps learn a foreign language for extra time. We need time for project-based learning and self-directed exploration.
    Parents want their kids to learn more in schools, and by doing that we should expand our time in school so we can learn more and have that ability to use this in the future. To succeed in the knowledge-intensive careers of the 21st century, today's youth must master core academic skills and build strong technology, teamwork, and oral communication skills. Expanding learning time offers kids the chance to build these skills and engage in classes, activities, and even internships that can excite them about learning and launch them on a path to a productive future. Every athlete, musician, or master of multiplication tables knows that practice improves performance.

• School is too short

Children nowadays are always longing for summer vacation and over that time children seem to forget their schoolwork. These children get lower grades and get held back a couple of years. Summer has grown to damage the learning environment. To top this children should have a shorter summer breaks to improve learning.

• Longer School year, less focus!!

Students have a natural tendency of losing interest or steam when studying for a certain period of time. By the middle of the year students are already starting to feel overworked and start to procrastinate to gain some more free non-stressful time to themselves. Students find themselves falling further and further behind and begin to slack. If the school year was longer this effect would be magnified.

• School is not interesting; Thus, school year shouldn't be extended.

School is so boring and I would rather do a lot of other things with my time than waste it in a classroom learning about stuff taht I will never use later in life. That is just my thought and every other teenager in the world so you can take that into consideration.

• No, Kids Need The Time Off

No, the school year should not be extended. Many teens use the summer to work and earn money for clothes, cars and college. It would be wrong and unfair to take this time away from them. The experience they gain by working through the summer is beneficial as it will help prepare them for life after school. Becoming responsible adults is just as important as being educated.

• School is too short

• If you were a kid u would agree.

Summer is a time where all your stress is gone and you can have no worries
    You won’t have to think “Oh I forgot about our test tomorrow!”
    Also during school times kids get really stressed. It is a lot of pressure with all of this work and our brains need rest.
    Some kids get in trouble when they get bad grades and things can be taken away from them or they may not be able to do after school activities anymore. During summer kids don’t have to worry about struggling in school because it is their time to do what they want and just relax
    Most kids like summer because even though they will miss their friends its fun to have other friends. I would not like to spend my whole summer with all of my friends because sometimes people just like to have their own space
    It is a lot of pressure with school these days, especially for older kids. Some teachers give so much work that is is hard to keep up. Summer is time when everyone’s brain just gets to rest
    Summer makes you feel so free
    You won’t have to worry about school work
    Kids can wake up in the morning knowing that they won’t have to worry if they fail their next test that they can’t do sports anymore
    When you were a kid you would know how it feels
    Summer feels like 1,000,000,000 pounds have been lifted off your shoulders

• If u were a kid u would agree

Summer makes you feel so free

• If u were a kid u would agree

Summer makes you feel so free

• No way do we need more school

We do not need to go to school longer. We learn everything we need to know in school and even more. Kids need time to de -stress and relax. I believe we get just enough work done. A longer school year will cause more kids to be less focused as well.

• There is no reason for extending the school year

Longer school can make student less focus in class. And that reduce less free time to go outside, also make teachers work longer. Once a child falls behind their grade level, it would be difficult for them to catch up back. Longer school days is not good on student learning because student will have lack of listening in class. And schools will need more money to pay teachers

Anonymous says2013-04-15T14:13:58.973
Kids should not have a longer school year thats what i think because kids want to have time with other people at home and i think kids get sick of school and homework every day
ctd97 says2013-05-04T14:34:06.093
I agree even though i havent been in school for twelve years it is important to get an education but some of the infromation will not be used later in life all the students deserve summer vacation and a normal length school year