Should the schools collect money to provide their students iPads instead of using books and similar?

Asked by: YuliaG123
  • I think yes.

We are in 2015. Not in 1870. We are able to provide electronics to children. Most schools already have ICT rooms and SmartBoards and stuff like that. As the time goes, everything is changing, when we need it. Using books is a bit unfashioned now, so why don't we use iPads? It saves time and money. Of course the school will spend a fortune buying iPads for every single child, but imagine how much you will need to pay for pens, pencils and books. Every year the number grows, but if we had iPads, those numbers would not grow so fast. If a person is ill, then somebody else can take their iPad, thanks to iCloud. But if a person is ill now, somebody else is not going to be able to use their book to write there! As well it saves space. And time. A teacher can mark just anything from one computer, again thanks to iCloud. Of course I think students will not be able to take iPads home or play games, but maybe there will be one iCloud account where you are allowed to play games. Neither they will be able to use iPad during breaks and lunch times. So many options but no enough ideas.

• Of Course ,Yes!

Its way harder to surf porn with your textbook. And have you tried to take pictures of your friends in class with a textbook... It just doesn't work. And how else you going to play Sword & Sworcery in study hall??? Man, I would have learned sooooo much more in school if I had an iPad... I'm lucky I even graduated without one... Let alone went to Yale.

• I do use iPads

I use iPads in highschool, it's private though, the cost is in the tuition and we have a deal with Apple so we get the newer version every two years, they hardly break and if they do each child has several free replacements, they would still be able to write with a stylus too. I don't use anything besides the iPad and there aren't any problems, we don't have the App Store and they can block any website so that flaw is debunked.

• I Also think yes!

I think that this is a good idea. A lot trees and such are Being Cut down for notebooks and pencils; but if we use i-pads and such It would be easier to:
    1. Take notes. A lot of kids type faster then they Write.

2. No sloppy handwriting; Handwriting on test wont matter.

3. Teachers spend a lot of money on books. With i-pads books can not break, they also don't cost as much.

4. Calculater app FTW

So overall i-pads are a great idea!

• Not cost effective.

For the cost of an iPad you could purchase every student brand new hard cover text books for every class at about half the price. Schools save money by using text books over and over for many years. If anything, buying them a basic e-book reader such as a kindle. For the same price of one iPad you could probably buy 6 e-book readers. The problem with either is how the system works, as each download is charged to the school and can not be shared by other students.

• Easy to break.

They may be cheaper in the long run, but if a child smashes the iPad, their parents/guardians will have to pay a fortune to compensate. Technology is progressing so quickly that by the time you ordered the large sum of iPads, there would be a new, better version out. Also, what happens if it ran out of valuable memory? Would the teachers have to delete work that the pupil has put a lot of effort into? Besides, the pupils will only use them for games, selfies and surfing the rough ends of the Internet. This is just a ridiculous excuse to waste money.

• I speak from experience

First of all for clarification, when I say "computer" I mean any type of computer device, like a desktop, laptop, or iPad, etc.
    Our school system where I used to live started with iPads for students, but after one trial year, many problems arose (I'm not quite sure what these were) which caused them to discontinue it. The next year, they implemented a plan where every student got Mac Book Airs. However, even so there are still MANY problems with the whole computer/screen thing.

1. I'm sure that high school students and college students would be a little bit better, but originally it started in middle schools - that kids were constantly loosing their laptops, and sometimes they were never found, costing money. Many kids were simply not responsible enough. Damaging a textbook is much better cost-wise than damaging a computer, which is almost just as easily broken.

2. With the taking notes situation:
    Yes, some kids find it much easier to type instead of writing, and for some kids it is easier to organize, but there are many reasons which say that writing is much better
    a. You remember the information much better when you physically write it down, according to scientific studies. Please read this article for an example: (http://www.Boston.Com/health/2014/06/05/take-note-this-handwritten-notes-are-more-effective-than-typed-ones/Ypp4ahKuX2Zd0OtUqBw79H/story.Html)
    b. Handwriting is a skill every student should have anyway. Although the computer can write neatly for you, for many tasks you must still use it. Forget your laptop/iPad one day? Your handwriting should be legible. Somewhere else, other than school, someone says something important, and you want to write a note to yourself, you have to be able to read it. Or if you want to write a note to someone else, they have to be able to read it. Also the fine motor control gained from handwriting is often necessary in everyday tasks. Just like you do pushups to strengthen your arm muscles, handwriting strengthens and improves accuracy of the fine motor skills in your hands.
    C. Our teacher actually has one person each class that takes class notes on a computer for those who are sick. - not everyone has to have a computer.
    D. People need to be able to organize without the computer doing it for you. ORGANIZATION is a SKILL that we cannot learn by pressing a couple keys on the computer. Yes, it is neater and you can bold things, but actively highlighting and underlining not only improves your abilities to pick out important information but helps you to remember what you actually picked out to be important. Emphasized points will be emphasized in your mind, not only saving time when you study for tests, but allowing you to learn those points for an extended period of time, as studies have shown.

• I want to learn the hard way

Away from the economic argument, there is a real discussion to be had about the nature of learning materials and the way it effects directly the learning outcomes.

An interesting outcome over the generations is that technological materials improving has been literacy and numeracy rates falling. For an example, because of the "check spelling" function and not writing long hand (people tend to write shorter emails due to text messaging etc) has meant people's grammer and spelling awareness have fallen. Moreover, the calculator has meant that people numeracy awareness has also declined.

So what would be the effect of ipad replacing books? The greatness of books is allowing the reading activitly searching for specific information. In addition, the way we interact with information in a book is to learn and retain the piece of information. Whereas, with a monitor system, due to the breadth of information from available through a "ipad", we dont retain the information the same way.