• It's about time someone put a stop to this expensive unnecessary craze!

It's is obvious to everyone that in high school people are saving for college and unnecessary expenditure is not encouraged. I don't think High School Prom helps a teenager/young adult or their parents in any positive way. Instead it encourages negative thinking and activities. Why don't the school have a get together at an orphanage or old folks home or other fundraising or charity events instead, to teach teenager the value of life. Or have a sport event at school to encourage team work, healthy mind and body! Having fun or healthy socializing is not expensive, we were kids too and had lots of fun as kids running around, cycling, and playing games, outdoor sports, loving nature etc.

Posted by: Sikh
  • Yes proms and dances should be abolished

Schools should be for academics and establishing a desired career path, not for parties, dating, and getting knocked up. Schools that stress the latter need to expect to rank lower in overall academic scores on a national and global level. There is plenty of time for adult activities once students graduate from school and get a job. It's called growing up first before just acting grown-up.

• Ridiculous tradition, do away with them!

I did not attend my high-school proms (in the 1960s). I thought they were stupid then, and my opinion has not changed. Getting a date for those who are less socially oriented or shy can be very difficult. It creates a great deal of anxiety and low self-esteem in those who are socially awkward or less social.

• Prom encourages bad behaviour

Many high school teens have sex or do drugs after to prom. It is just ridiculous that a school, which is supposed to be devoted to receiving an education and becoming a better person, is hosting this type of outrageous party. Prom should be abolished to give teens a better sense of what the world actually is. The school should stop spending money on the prom and use it to build a better education system. The US seriously lacks in all areas, especially mathematics and science.

• yes they should

Why are invisible straps allowed? I read an article recently on how a school banned strapless dressed, but allowed invisible straps. Tell me how does that work? Most people can keep a strapless dress on properly without any use of straps. And for crying out loud, it's a prom! That's the only time people could wear strapless dresses without covering up their shoulders and being able to wear occasional dance/prom dresses near school-related events.

• Prom is impure and materialistic

First, let me just say that I HATE prom. There are bible verses that indirectly go against such a tradition. Let me quote a couple to prove it, "Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:22) "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them." (Ephesians 5:11) "Blessed is the man who walks not in the council of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful." (Psalms 1:1) I say prom is evil because of grinding, alcohol, sex, etc. Also, lots of money is wasted. There are also bible verses about accumulating riches in Heaven instead of on Earth, but I won't quote any. Message to those who hate prom: Resist the ignorant and follow your heart!

• I say yes

I say yes because this is really important to some people. Like me i look forward to going to prom when i am that age because it celebrates you and others. My brother went to prom and he loved it. SO GO TO PROM AND ENJOY IT YOU WILL LIKE

• Waste of time

There is no logical reason why pathetic people must satiate their desperate need for social interaction. As to why people cannot possibly conceive the thought of being alone is beyond me. And honestly, the drama, the money, the clothes and everything else that is fake, is a huge waste of time. I can't stand watching people going off to problem. What social sheep, just following the crowd, blending in and too afraid to stand out and be different.

• I ts a old tradition that will live on forever

In the United States, a promenade dance, most commonly called a prom, is a semi-formal (black tie) dance or gathering of high school students. This event is typically held near the end of the senior year (the last year of high school). Proms figure greatly in popular culture and are major events among high school students. High school juniors attending the prom may call it "junior prom" while high-school seniors may call it "senior prom". In practice, this event may be a combined junior/senior dance.

At a prom, a Prom King and Prom Queen may be revealed. These are honorary titles awarded to students elected in a school-wide vote prior to the prom, and seniors are usually awarded these titles.[1] Other students may be honored with inclusion in a "Prom Court." The selection method for a Prom Court is similar to that of Homecoming Queen/Princess, King, and Court. Inclusion in a Prom Court may be a reflection of popularity of those students elected and their level of participation in school activities, such as clubs or sports.[2][3] The Prom Queen and Prom King may be given crowns to wear. Members of the Prom Court may be given sashes to wear and photographed together.[4]

Similar events take place in many other parts of the world. In Australia and New Zealand, the terms school formal, and ball are most commonly used for occasions equivalent to the American prom, and the event is usually held for students in senior years, although the bestowing of the regal titles rarely, if ever, occurs. Many schools hold a formal graduation ball for finishing students at the end of the year in place of or as well as a formal. In Ireland a debutante ball or Debs may also be held. In Poland high schools organize a "studniówka". The term "prom" is becoming more common in the UK and Canada[citation needed] because of the influence of American films and television shows.

• This really great you should read it!!

I am sorry for all you people that do not like prom because you probably did not have a prom date!! :0 :) :)
    you also are going to show all you kids your cool prom pictures which you dont have any!!! :0 :) :0
    well by and i feel sorry for you :(
    .
    .
    .

• Prom is great you should always go

well by and i feel sorry for you :(
    .
    .
    .

• Prom is great

well by and i feel sorry for you :(
    .
    .
    .

• Prom is great

well by and i feel sorry for you :(
    .
    .
    .

• Prom should stay

The students are worked to death the whole year and rarely get brakes. Most students would look forward to having a party with all of their friends near the end of the year. I think they deserve it and it's their choice not to go if they do not want to. Lastly, imagine your kids looking at your prom photo from when you went to prom and them saying that they wanted to go. Then finally, that chance arrives but guess what? Prom is banned and they never got that special moment.

Posted by: wrt
  • Prom is amazing for students to have fun every once in a wile.

I am sorry for all of you people saying yes because you probably did not have a prom date. Students have to work all year and sometimes it is fun to party. It is not your problem if people go and get pregnant when there 15 and older because really its there problem. I think they deserve it and its just because you dont like it does not mean you dont need to go. Lastly it may be expensive but they have to pay for all the decoration and food and you dont have to pay to go if you dont want to you will just not have a good story to tell you children and also you will be really sad that you did not have a prom date!!

• Keep it for ever

Because of dez nuts de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de de dez nuts ha gotem ha gotem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• No nothing is wrong

Why should we get away with prom why should over even be having this discussion in the first place? Prom is a normal tradition for people and it is the way things have been for quite a long time. We should keep this thing because it is a great socializing tool.