• Guns are designed to kill period

All industrial country's COMBINED have fewer innocent gun deaths than the US. The US is a wonderful nation but this gun violence MUST stop! Allow bolt action hunting rifles and of course the police and military but to allow weapons of mass destruction (that's what they are) in the hands of unstable people is insane.

• Handguns should be banned

Handguns are tools specifically meant to harm and kill others. Rifles meant for hunting can remain legal. If you enjoy target shooting, use a gun at a range. Or join a local shooting club where all the guns are kept in a secure, central location. Handguns are meant for the police and military forces, not for citizens.

• Yes, the U.S. should ban handguns

The U.S. should ban handguns and guns in general because they pose serious threat to the lives of the American people. A few days ago, near 30 people were killed because of poor gun controls in the U.S. Laws should be implement to regulate guns very strictly so that the society can be more safe.

• Ban handguns

Yes, I think that the US should be handguns. They should only be in the hands of police officer and security guards. I think that the US would be so much safer and things like the horrible massacre of innocent women and children would not happen like what recently happened in Newtown, Ct.

• A gun is more likely to be used against you than it is for self defense.

Guns don't kill people? People kill people? Yes, I agree, and nobody is arguing the opposite, but this is a strawman argument as firearms are designed to kill, their purpose is to destroy, create chaos and death, regardless of the context where it is used, guns make it easier to kill large numbers of people with ease, that is the problem. Now, while I do believe in banning handguns, we first need to find ways to slow down the gun culture, or the gun ban will only generate a dangerous black market. In order to do this, we must encourage legislators to pass strict laws against the use of firearms by children and minors. Preventing youngsters from associating guns with family and tradition is the first step if we want the gun culture to dissipate. Then, we need to get some politicians on the left to stand up against the Second Amendment, condemn blind patriotism and favor reason instead by making valid arguments that illustrate how outdated and pointless it is. Make a comprehensive set of ideas given to the public in which their right to stand up against a potential tyranny (regardless of how unlikely this is) is preserved but not by bearing arms but by enforcing the system of checks and balances, keeping democracy intact by facilitating more voices to participate in the process and of course, the right to free speech, freedom to assembly and freedom to worship as we wish. If we get a voice in Congress that gets the ball rolling against the Second Amendment along with another voice that gets it on the protection of children, we can collectively eliminate the gun culture soon enough and prove to the world Americans can live in peace.

• Banning handguns will help the us

Only the army and police should have access to guns and handguns. If handguns are banned, then we won't need a gun to defend ourselves because nobody is aloud to assault you with a gun. They can only attack you with a knife and you can't kill lots of people with a knife. The us should ban handguns.

• The 2nd amendment

Sure the second amendment says we have the right to bare arms but that was 228 years ago! When the Constitution was written they were referring to muskets, a single shot hard to reload weapon they wouldn't have thought we would have more rounds in a single clip. Handguns need to be banned

• Get rid of the damn guns!

30,000 GUN DEATHS A YEAR AND 100,000 PEOPLE SHOT A YEAR IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! Like Australia and the United Kingdom get rid of the damn guns! End the killing and mass murder by GETTING RID OF THE DAMN GUNS! NO MORE GUNS AND BLOODSHED AND MASS MURDER! NO MORE GUNS!

• Guns can lead to violent outbursts and hate crimes

Sub Point A: Gun violence in the United States results in thousands of deaths and thousands more injuries annually. According to Lucian Cary, “handguns are smaller, lighter, and easier to carry. Since firearms do not rely entirely on the user's strength, they put weaker individuals on an equal footing” This gives people a higher chance to get revenge. Alluding to my earlier statement, According to Dr. Phyllis F. Agran, “while ‘playing’ with the family gun, one child somehow kills another child. As for the adolescent who has grown up in our "gun culture," the handgun is all too often seen as the quick solution to conflict, and there has been increased incidence of handgun suicide and homicide among adolescents, ages 15-24.” This shows that adolescents have a higher chance of getting their hands on guns. According to Princeton researchers, “In one national study of male high school sophomores and juniors, 50% of respondents reported that obtaining a gun would be “little” or “no” trouble—even though federal law bans most minors from possessing weapons. ” Alfred Blumstein, another Princeton researcher, also states that there is an “increased use of handguns by youth”.
    Sub Point B: Hate crimes are crimes motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence. One incident of a hate crime is the Charleston church massacre involving Dylann Roof. According to NBC News "On that summer evening, Dylann Roof found his targets, African Americans engaged in worship," Lynch said. "Met with welcome by the ministers of the church and its parishioners, he joined them in their Bible study group. The parishioners had Bibles. Dylann Roof had his .45 caliber Glock pistol and eight magazines loaded with hollow point bullets." As the LA times states, Roof’s goal was "to seek out and murder African Americans because of their race". His prejudice against African Americans led to this terrible and disastrous crime. Due to handguns compact size, Roof was able to conceal the gun and using this gun he shot 9 people. If handguns are allowed, then more crimes like these will occur. Handguns should not be allowed, unless we want there to be chaos.

• More people are murdered by guns then are protected by them.

Unsafe in Any Hands

Why America Needs to Ban Handguns

Introduction

The United States leads the industrialized world in firearms violence of all types—homicides, suicides, and unintentional deaths.1 Most of this violence involves the use of a handgun.2 Handguns are easily concealed, engineered for maximum lethality, relatively inexpensive, and easy to acquire. On average, handguns are used in nearly 70 percent of firearm suicides3 and 80 percent of firearm homicides.4 The United States has not so much a firearms problem as a handgun problem.

The Toll of Handgun Violence

The call to ban handguns is not inspired by a generalized hatred of guns. It is a response to the blood price that our nation has paid for the explosive growth of the handgun population over the past generation.5 More than two out of three of the one million Americans who died in firearm-related homicides, suicides, and unintentional shootings since 1962 were killed with handguns—i.E., 667,000.6 This weapon, which has inflicted pain and death in such a disproportionate degree, is owned by a distinct minority of Americans—only one out of six adults.7 Out of the current total firearms population of some 190 million, rifles and shotguns outnumber handguns two to one, yet handguns account for the majority of killings, woundings, and gun crimes. For example, of all firearm-related crimes in 1993, 86 percent involved the use of a handgun.8

The modern handgun has been honed for decades by the firearms industry to the highest possible level of lethality, just as race cars are continually redeveloped for maximum speed. The handguns that have been introduced into the market in the past two decades—especially high-caliber, high-capacity, semiautomatic pistols—meet the lethality standard admirably.9 The increased efficiency of the handgun as a killing machine is the result of a strategy by the gun industry over the past decade and a half to boost sales.10 This growth in killing power is the result of three variables deliberately designed into handguns—

Greater capacity, i.e. the ability to hold more bullets.11
    Higher caliber, meaning bigger bullets.12
    Increased concealability, facilitating criminal use.13
    These variables reached their zenith with the recent introduction of "pocket rockets,"—semiautomatic pistols in higher calibers that can be concealed in the palm of the hand.
    Recent data reveal the effect of this decades-long trend. From 1990 to 1997, of the 160,000 homicides committed in the United States, more than half (55.6 percent) involved a handgun.14 This block of 89,000 handgun homicides is larger than that of all other weapons used in homicides combined.

As the debate over gun violence is almost always framed in terms of fatalities, it is easy to overlook that, for every person killed with a firearm, approximately require medical treatment for wounds inflicted with a gun.15 One estimate places the annual cost of immediate medical care for all gunshot wounds at $4 billion.16 Other researchers take into account lifetime care and long-term economic loss, calculating the overall cost of gun violence in any given year to be in excess of $20 billion.

• Gun rights for 'merica

If you think that the gun is the one doing the harm, you're a few cents short of a dollar. The one we need to worry about is the one holding the gun. I say give a gun licence tests to the mentally incompetent and keep gum rights for america. God bless you all.

• The 2nd Amendment

The only way to make handguns illegal would be to repeal the 2nd Amendment. And I'm pretty sure that there about 100 million reasons that will not happen in my lifetime.

And if you're one of those 'muskets' people, well then your freedom of speech only extends to in person conversations or letters. Not to the use of the internet or phone.

Freedom of the press only applies to the News that is printed from a printing press

And Freedom of Religion only apply to those religions in existence at the time of the writing of the Constitution(sorry Mormons)

• Dsgnjjahg m mm

Rhrger fnfmffm nfnf m m m m m m m m m m m m m m mm m m m mm m mm mm mm m m m m m m m mn fmnmnfmf dmmfmfmf v mncvnfn vnf v vnvgnf nk;adfdb kafs lkjb l bj g fgbv b k bk

• They're not the worst type.

Handguns are more of a self defense mechanism. Although they are the most common use firearm in common crimes, they're not the worst kind of firearm. Handguns don't even have a big ammo capacity. Glocks usually have maybe 17 shots ( no, 38?) until reload. By all means, get a Glock for your Rarri.

• Guns=protection=AMERICA AMERICA AMERICA!!!!

We need to have these handguns because they protect us from people who try to engage us. Also the handguns give us a sense of power and protection which makes people less hostile. But we need to know that we cannot go out and start shooting people up. We need to conserve and keep in these guns and only use them for protection and safekeeping.

• Guns = freedom freedom = america

Right to bear arms and i am not talkin about no grizzly or black bears, and i am not talking about no forearms i am talking about the right to have a glock in my rarri. I must have the right to defend myself against rabid tucans and turtles with my .44 magnum.

• Guns = happiness america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!