Should the U.S. drinking age be lowered to 18, instead of set at 21?

• The drinking age should be 18 because I support the young people's choice.

If you're allowed to join the military at the age of 18 and fight for your country, then you should be allowed to drink. Yes, alcohol may not be good for you, but it is their choice what they want to do with their bodies. I think it would a good idea to change the drinking age to the age of 18.

• support

The human brain doesn't fully develop until the mid- twenties, and by lowering the drinking age, it's causing the brain to be damaged more and more. When a teen starts drinking at an early age, it can lead up to alcoholism developing earlier in life. Also, drunk drivers kill someone every 48 minutes. If the age is lowered, then there will be more people dying quicker than there is now. Also, when teens start drinking at an early age, their younger siblings are subjected to drinking earlier because they follow in the siblings footsteps. Over three times the amount of eighth grade girls have committed suicide because of drinking, compared the the amount that don't drink. Drinking at a young age damages the learning and/or memorization process in the brain. Every time you drink, part of your brain is impaired. Alcohols stimulating effects are replaced by an anesthetic effects that causes depression, and when teens are depressed, sometimes they commit suicide.

• You get full rights at 18 BUT drinking.

Yes i agree with most of the other opinions below. If you can die and hold a gun, you should be able to vote. If you are able to vote, you should able to drink. I believe that is a fair argument. As of underage drinking is seen as a forbidden fruit. It will be less tempting and people will learn more responsibility if it was allowed.

• I left the marines...anybody under 21 should too!

I decided to leave the marines when i was denied access to a tent at a concert because I was under 21 and I feel that I shouldnt risk my life for a bunch of hyprocrites who think they should be allowed to drink but Im not mature enough but I am mature enough to get shot at and risk my life. This country is very far from being free and is not worth anybodys life fighting for it, quit waisting your time...... enough said!

• 18 is the proper age to drink beer!

Many adults believe that young adults are not mature to drink but do they really know whats best for us. it doesnt matter whether you are 17, 21, or 30 it still hits you the same. If you were to make the wrong descision so be it it's our problem and if our elders don't want to teach us the right path, then they have themselves to blame.

• lower the drinking age

Most if not all of those against lowering the age say teens are irresponsible. They are right, but only for those under 18. Yes, there still be danger, but isn't that the same for anyone that drinks? Also, almost all teens know the dangers of drinking and driving. They are as much prone to it than those "of age".

• it should be lowerd

It should be lowered to 18 because they are able to be held responsible for everything else, like voting, joining the military if desired, any crime committed, etc.Since you are, by law, considered an adult then you should be trusted to make your own grown up decisions about drinking. It's hard to imagine asking someone to die for your rights, including the right to drink a cold one, while denying them the same rights

• Lower the Drinking Age

As a young adult under the age of 21, I feel it is so important that our government either lower the drinking age, or raise the age for everything else. I am not only considered an adult in the eyes of the law, but I am also able to adopt a child, purchase tobacco, get a tattoo or piercing, SERVE AND RISK MY LIFE FOR OUR COUNTRY, give blood (save other lives), and vote, among other things. I should be able to sit down, and enjoy a beer.

• stuff

If you can vote and be drafted into the army to risk your life, then you should be able to drink. There are so many more responsibilites that come with being 18 and drinking would just be a milestone that teens get to enjoy. If teens can risk their lives to be in the army then why shouldn't they be able to drink? They have already been driving for two years and would be less tempted to drink and drive because they wouldn't have to hide it from their parents.

• the drinking ageshould be lowered to 18

If an 18 year old is able to vote and be drafted or join the military then why can't they drink? An 18 year old is able to do almost every thing but not drink. That is wrong and shows that they can't be trusted when a lot of them are responsible and they won't drink and drive.

• The age of drinking should stay the same

I believe that drinking age should stay the same because 18-year-olds are not ready to start drinking and they can have more accidents. I also think that 18-year-olds are not mature enough to be able to be given that risk and its bad enough that people who drink gets drunk and dont know how to handle themselves

• Damages your brain

It is medically irresponsible because the brain's frontal lobes, essential for functions such as emotional regulation, planning, and organization, continue to develop throughout young adulthood. Alcohol consumption can interfere with this development, causing suicide, potentially causing chronic problems such as greater vulnerability to addiction, dangerous risk-taking behavior, reduced decision-making ability, memory loss, depression, violence.

• The drinking age should remain the same, 21

I think the drinking age should remain the same because 18 yr olds tend to go partying at that age and it allows the roads to be safer. I'm not saying that at that age everyone drinks but when they do, they tend to drink and drive & cause accidents.

• Death of teens

Youth will lose brain cells, which can effect them academically
    More crimes will be done by teens under the influence
    Teens can get alochol more easier when they should be focused on school"Younger brains are more susceptible to alcohol consumption."
    "More people drinking could create more unsafe environments."
    "There would be easier access to alcohol."
    -http://healthresearchfunding.Org/pros-cons-lowering-drinking-age/

• It's not good to drink.

I think we shouldn't drink at the age of 18 because drinking causes addiction, it's not good for you and also cause it's bad for your health, and can affect your body in many ways. Drinking and driving causes accidents, that's why I think the drinking age should be at least 22 and not 18.

• It needs to be raised to the mid-twenties

• I do not think that the U.S. drinking age should be lowered to 21, because 18-year olds are not mature enough to drink.

I do not think 18-year olds are old enough to drink. At 18, you are not mature enough to make drinking decisions. Those who drink need to be able to make responsible decisions for the safety of everyone.

Posted by: FemaleTyron73
  • Even though an 18 year-old faces many responsibilities of adulthood, they are not mature enough to handle legalized drinking.

Young people are more apt to drink irresponsibly, and to drink and drive. Limiting drinking to those over 21 will limit drinking and, even though there will be young people drinking under the age of 21, it will be harder for them to obtain alcohol, thus reducing irresponsible behavior. A few additional years helps in the maturity level of young people greatly.

Posted by: MatureLoren46
  • Imagine....

Imagine you're making some brownies. Let's say that you have two batches. One is ready, and the other is still being mixed. If you put salt in the one being mixed and then bake it, the brownies will be ruined. If you put salt on top of the already-baked one, you can brush it off and the brownies will probably taste fine. Individuals under 21 are like the brownies still being mixed.

• Drinking responsibly requires quite a bit of maturity, something that most people don't even have at 21.

Why put the age lower when the age is too low to begin with? Alcohol is a drug that has the potential to impair both mental and physical capabilities. At the age of 21 people are not truly prepared for this type of responsibility, and at age 18 they are even less prepared for this responsibility.

Posted by: MariaR