Should the U.S. end overtime pay for hourly workers?

• Lets go Eurostyle

Cap at 35-40/hrs week. At the end of that, you go home. Boss can't make you stay. This will provide more jobs to lower unemployment as that one bloke working 80/hrs week can now only do up to 40. He can see his family, if he wants to, or head to the local pub and see his mates, supporting the economy one guiness at a time. WIn-win.

• Ending overtime pay

It would take money out of he worker's pockets and put it into the employers. It would be a free loan to the employer - money to be used to make the employer more money. What would the benefits be to the worker? It's like putting money in the bank and having the bank decide when you can get your money out.

• Can't Afford Anything

There's no way this helps the American "working family". It's making everything harder. The only way most American "working families" are able to make ends meet often is because of things like overtime.
    The only way I was able to fund my education without a loan was overtime pay from convention services, not even the regular pay would have ever been enough. What do you do when your job has NO insurance, NO guarantee of work, and you still do NOT get paid overtime? Not to mention that 20% of that automatically goes to the government before the money is even given to you.

• Stopping OT for hourly employees will lead to abuse.

Employers will have free reign to over work their employees knowing that their pocket books are protected. Employees will not be reimbursed for OT and holidays that they are required to work. The average worker will be worked into the ground and then productivity will be effected due to ill and injured employees. Tired employees are not valuable assets to any company.

• Keep your hands off MY money!

I am currently able to make all of my bill payments, and now & then set some money aside for when I have time off. Taking away my overtime pay will not only prevent me from putting money away, but in a short time I would be "in the hole" with my bills. When, and IF I ever got to use the extra time off, I would most likely spend it doing side jobs to cover bills. Yeah, sounds like a great deal! ...Idiots.

• Retain fair pay for all

Many hourly workers rely on overtime just to make ends meet, as I know personally. The elimination of overtime pa will force these workers to 1) spend less and/or 2) get second--or third jobs, cutting even more deeply into their family and leisure time. Overtime pay is a fair concept--payment above and beyond for service above and beyond--and ending it only exacerbates the already serious problem of wage inequity.

• No. It seems to work well leave it alone.

Hourly workers need the benefit of extra money when the opportunity presents itself. These people are not the wealthiest and probably live from day to day. The overtime helps them to pay bills or buy food and clothes so they can try to live a decent life. It should be up to the individual to decide to take the overtime in time or money.

• No, the U.S. should not even consider ending overtime pay for hourly workers.

If the U.S. were to end overtime, workers would stop working later. There would be no incentive. They are being kept later from their families, from their dinners, and their sleep. Why would they be willing to do this without some kind of retribution? It is another way for the United States to put their nose into civilians business.

If the U.S. Were to end overtime, workers would stop working later. There would be no incentive. They are being kept later from their families, from their dinners, and their sleep. Why would they be willing to do this without some kind of retribution? It is another way for the United States to put their nose into civilians business.

• No, hourly workers are the last people who should get their pay cut.

Hourly workers are among the most needy, hardworking people in our country, and cutting overtime for them would make the difference between them being able to pay their rent or mortgage or feed their families. Cuts to the middle class have got to stop in this country, and corporate America needs to start paying their share. Cutting hourly overtime wagers would only hurt our economy.