Should the U.S. Government force employers to provide supervised care for their workers' children?

• Benefits perspective

Companies should be concerned of the cost of daycare of their employees. If companies can get better deal by providing in-house daycare for employees, it increase the moral in the company and as any other benefits do for the wellness of the employees.
    If the government would provide tax incentives to companies which provide daycare for employees it is a win-win situation.

The argument that if people have children "it is their responsibility to care for them" means that they should leave the job? or pay almost as much as they receive in salary? No wonder the population growth rate is declining in industrialized countries, based on these positions.

Do not take me wrong, I am against the government forcing companies to provide benefits, but I find possible that the government could help to make it almost a non-burden to companies.

• Supervised care for children should be provided by the government and all companies in order to protect our children.

I believe that the government should provide supervised care for employees' children because we need to protect our young citizens. All businesses should have some kind of care, in fact. Parents cannot afford childcare anymore and it's proven to be risky. To protect the safety and general well-being of the kids, a certified supervised care on site should be provided.

Posted by: SAugustus
  • No, because businesses are having too much financial trouble today to have this added burden forced on them by the government.

I do not believe that the government needs to require childcare for workers' children at the expense of the employer at this time. The economy is so bad today that the government needs to look for ways to help businesses survive, not have more costs forced on them. This is the type of issue that a business should be able to decide for themselves, according to whether they can afford it or not.

Posted by: R0d0Ferdy
  • Yes, because I think this would result in increased productivity.

I believe that if the work place provides day care for children, they would get a lot more work from their employees. The employees would be more comfortable knowing their children are close and safe. It would also make it more easy for the employee to pick up their child after they are done working.

Posted by: 5h4rkEmar
  • The U.S. Government should force employers to provide supervised care for their workers' children because most women are in the workforce and many have children.

The U.S. Government should force employers to provide supervised care for their workers' children because most women are in the workforce and many have children. Because corporations are benefiting from most of the women in the U.S. now in the workforce, the companies should repay the women by enforcing supervised day care for the children of these women. Many workers can hardly afford to pay for day care, so this would really help out American families.

Posted by: JeffP4ri5
  • I do not think it is up to individual employers to provide supervised care for employee's children due to the excessive financial burden on businesses.

In today's economy, it is difficult enough for businesses to provide adequate benefit packages for employees. While child care is expensive, placing the burden on employers is not justified. Not only is it unfair to the business, it also provides additional benefits to workers with children not available to workers without children. Programs such as negotiated discounts are more suitable.

Posted by: ElfinDamien34
  • Why is childcare the responsibility of the employer?

I am a big believer that the government can get more and more intrusive in trying to do good things to the extent they are causing a lack of freedom where some things are REQUIRED that really should not be a government matter. If a person wants to work for a company, the childcare is a personal item the worker needs to resolve for themselves. If a company finds that they get more good workers if they offer it, great. But that should be a company decision, not a government mandate.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • I think forcing employers to provide child care for their employees is an intrusion on the rights of both employers and parents.

I think child care decisions should, if at all possible, be the exclusive province of parents. A government program forcing employers to provide child care would infringe on parents' rights to make a choice for their own children. Such programs would also discriminate against employees who have no children and would not gain any benefit from such programs.

Posted by: SuddenRashad84
  • I oppose this, because it is not in the businesses' best interests to provide child care.

A business' first priority is to make a profit and provide for their shareholders. Although the company must be mindful of their employees and children, it is not within their best interest to devote time, energy, and money to child care. This is why there are day cares and other establishments that provide this service.

Posted by: PrettyVince50
  • No, because if someone chooses to have children, then it is their responsibility to care for them.

I do not agree with this, on a fundamental level, nor do I think the state has the funds to see this into action. This notion strikes me as absurd, and it would be very expensive for employers to carry it out. The only thing that would change is that employers would no longer hire people with children to bypass this measure.

Posted by: AboriginalKing28
  • There is very little that the government should force employers to do, and childcare is certainly not one of those things.

The government has no need to get involved in making companies provide child care for their employees' children. If the government should not be forcing companies to provide health care, there is no reason why they should be forcing companies to do things that are of lesser importance. Instead of always looking for the government to solve our problems, we should solve our own problems, so the government can stop getting bigger as a result of solving all of our problems for us.

Posted by: MariaR
  • I feel that the U.S. Government should not force employers to provide supervised child care, because businesses are private entities.

When the government begins to make demands on private businesses, like mandatory child care for employees, it is overstepping its realm of influence. Because we live in free-market system, the only way to keep it free is to limit the control that the government is able to have over private businesses.

Posted by: Random85906
  • I don't think providing day care is the role or duty of employers, because they are in the private sector.

I don't think companies in the private sector have a duty to provide day care for the children of their workers. They are not authorities on education. It is better for parents to choose their own day care, nanny, or family care. A better alternative would be for companies to subsidize the cost of day care for workers with young kids, as well as adult care for workers with elderly parents that they are responsible for.

Posted by: Th4Fire
  • No, the U.S. Government should not force employers to provide supervised care for their workers' children because it will cost the employers a lot of money and decrease the salaries of their employees.

No, the U.S. Government should not force employers to provide supervised care for their workers' children because it would be very costly for the employers and probably lead to decreased wages and layoffs. Companies are not stupid and must retain their profits or they will go out of business. Government should not intrude on private industries no matter how good the intentions.

Posted by: MycCra2ii
  • I oppose the U.S. Government forcing employers to provide supervised care for workers children, because this puts an unfair monetary burden on the employer.

If a company is forced to provide supervised care for their workers' children, then the company costs will be higher so salaries will ultimately be lower. This is not fair to those employees who do not have children. Those who do have children made the decision to bring a child into the world and should be the ones who are responsible for their care. This could even lead to unfair hiring practices where employers avoid potential workers who have children.

Posted by: 5h4rdJeff