Should the U.S. Government step forward and support a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights?

• Yes, the U.S. Government should support an airline passenger bill of rights, to keep passengers from being taken advantage of.

Yes, the U.S. Government should support an airline passenger bill of rights. We want people to be as safe as possible when they fly. A part of that is making sure they are not being taken advantage of. A bill of rights would do that.

Posted by: NorChiquita
  • There should be an airline passenger bill of rights, because citizens should always trump corporations in the eyes of the law.

The idea that airlines can keep citizens on planes without food and workable toilets for periods of several hours should be illegal. It is tantamount to unjustified detainment, and by a non-government authority at that. Airlines are corporations. Yes, they are legal entities, but they are not citizens, and should not have the right that infringe upon those of actual breathing voting citizens.

Posted by: FlakyHerb64
  • Airline passengers are customers, but they are also human beings with rights.

For many people, flight is an important mode of transportation. It is a necessity, not a luxury. Airlines take advantage of people who just want to go about their lives as peacefully as possible. They subject them to invasions of privacy and space, and charge a great deal of money for a less than pleasant experience. If people can't have a voice in this, then the government should, in order to protect them.

Posted by: 54ndDavi
  • We need an airline passenger bill of rights, because the insane airport security practice of stripping six-year olds and taking quasi-naked pictures has done more to hurt American freedom than Osama bin Laden ever did.

The insane airport security practice of stripping six-year olds and taking quasi-naked pictures has done more to hurt American freedom than Osama bin Laden ever did. Something needs to be done to put an end to this, and that means applying the Constitution directly to air travel: a passenger's bill of rights.

Posted by: EqualClaud72
  • Yes, the U.S. Government should step forward and support an airline passenger bill of rights, before the airline consumer is forced to act on their own.

Riding on an airplane has gotten worse and worse over recent years, and you have no rights whatsoever while on that plane that you paid so much for. They have no accountability for delays, layovers or cancellations. Making people sit on the runway for hours, waiting to take off, and refusing to feed them because the flight was too short to include an in-flight meal is barbaric and inhumane. If the government will not enforce a bill of rights for passengers, then the already flagging airline industry might find itself having even less people willing to fly if they do not have to.

Posted by: H_Baird
  • Airline passengers should have their rights protected while flying.

An airline passenger bill of rights would be helpful in preserving the dignity and emotional security of those who fly. I think that passengers have the right to be protected from a possible invasion of privacy by the government. I don't know if the bill needs to be rigorous, but it should protect fliers from being taken advantage of by the TSA.

Posted by: R4yCher
  • The U.S. Government should step forward and support a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights to ensure uniform fairness across-the-board for flying passengers, regardless of what airline is involved.

The U.S. Government should step forward and support a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights to ensure fairness across-the-board for flying passengers. Instead of allowing each individual airline to create their own bills of rights, there needs to be a national standard set so that the airlines can't keep changing the rules. Having a national passenger bill of rights for all passengers across all airlines guarantees fairness and a smoother way to compensate passengers for hold-ups and other issues in post-911 America.

Posted by: JeffP4ri5
  • The US government should step forward and support a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights because the airlines sacrifice passengers' rights for the sake of the bottom line.

I frequently fly. Several times in the last month, I have been left sitting on an airplane in excess of 2-3 hours with no explanation. In addition, once I missed my connecting flight due to a "delay". The airline claimed weather, even though it was not raining in either city I was flying to. Therefore, I was forced to spend the night in the airport with no businesses open. I was not put up in a hotel because it was not the fault of the airline. Air travel is convenient and fast. But the airlines routinely sacrifice the comfort and happiness of passengers for the bottom line. The government needs to step in and support the rights of the passengers. This is a prime example of big business stepping on the little man. The government should do its job and protect the rights of Americans. The Bill of Rights shouldn't be suspended just because you are sitting on an airplane.

Posted by: JayceC
  • Yes, perhaps this would be for the best because people need rights to fly safely and comfortably.

There is no better entity to stand up for the rights of airline passengers than the US government itself. People need to have some kind of rights to keep them safe and comfortable when they are flying. Airlines shouldn't be allowed to let people sit in grounded aircraft with no option to leave or no food, it's like they are being held prisoner almost. If airline passengers have legal rights, the system will have to change.

Posted by: PinkMych
  • I think the government should support and enforce a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights in order to prevent passengers from being mistreated and abused by airline practices.

Airlines are out to make money, and have little regard for their passengers. Besides the fact that airlines charge what many consider to be excessive fees before they even board, airlines continue to charge customers unfairly for things like snacks and pillows. When there are mechanical or weather related problems, passengers are often forced to sit on a plane for hours with no food, beverages, bathroom or air conditioning. They should expect to be treat better.

Posted by: bandcult
  • I see no need for the government to get involved in an airline passenger bill of rights.

I do not see the need for the government to adopt any special legislation to address the rights of airline passengers. If passengers do not like the way that one airline treats them, they can (and should) take their business elsewhere. This seems like a non-issue that the free market can solve easily.

Posted by: LivingJimmy
  • Because airlines are private organizations, and their policies are designed not only to protect themselves, but also to protect their passengers, I do not believe that the government should get involved in passenger rights.

As private businesses, airlines have a right to decide their policies. Furthermore, since those policies are designed with passenger safety in mind, I do not see how a passenger bill of rights is necessary, and I do not believe that the government should get involved.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • I oppose the U.S. Government stepping forward and supporting a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights, because terrorists could work around them, while the airport security would have its hands tied, and people's safety could be compromised.

The Transportation Department won't enforce the bill, because it wants the airline industry's business. It would be pointless. How would you penalize them? A fine? To who?

Posted by: SpyIvan
  • I disagree, we have government in too many areas of our lives now.

The airlines should run their own business and the government needs to stay out of every area of our lives. Government does not belong in everything.

Posted by: lachienfemme
  • I oppose a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights because most of the problems it addresses are problems caused by the U.S. Government not the airlines.

I oppose a rigorous airline passenger bill of rights. Airlines don't strand passengers on the runways for hours waiting to take off; the obsolete air traffic system managed by the U.S. Government is responsible for that feat. The U.S. Government has been slow to adopt 21st Century technology such as GPS-based air traffic control that would alleviate many of the current problems that directly affect customers. The airline passenger bill of rights is just an attempt to shift the blame to the private sector.

Posted by: l0lliep0ps