Should the U.S have dropped the atomic bomb on Japan?

• The Bomb Needed to be Dropped for Scientific Exploration

It was important to drop the bomb for the scientific aspects. First, it was great for exploring the effects of radiation sickness. It helped scientists understand what happens to those exposed to radiation, at what distance from the point of fission people could be affected by radiation, and how to treat (partially) those inflicted with it. Nuclear Fission, the power of the bomb, is what scientists call the splitting of an atom's nucleus. This is what now powers all modern nuclear power plants. Without dropping the bomb, we could not know the safety risks of having a nuclear power plant, and at what distance it needed to be from civilization to keep the population safe. Even if someone is inflicted with radiation poisoning, scientists can now partially treat it, because of the studies done on those inflicted with it. It is also important to the study of biology and chemistry; considering that when the bomb was dropped, those who were close to it were burned to carbon. Carbon is the backbone of life, and the fact that the burns caused by the heat of the nuclear fission of uranium 235 destroyed/scattered all other chemicals in the body is very interesting for both biologists and chemists. The bombs increased the amount of carbon 14 in the lumps of carbon, and the atmosphere. Since the carbon lumps had increased carbon-14 this means that if the lumps were kept and carbon dated thousands of years later, they would be dated wrong and possibly not even dated as humans. This seriously affects the carbon dating method as nuclear fission is currently the only thing known to physicists that is strong enough to power nuclear fission. Nuclear fusion is when two atoms are combined into one, unleashing a massive amount of energy. Also, stars are powered by nuclear fusion. So, had there been a large explosion because of nuclear fission (big bang?) it would have created many chain reactions (stars?) Thus dropping the bomb expands the limits of many sciences in the world today, as well as supplies us with energy, and greater safety.

• Max a. S.

I think we should have dropped the atomic bombs on japan because 1 It saved many american and Japanese lives the website u.S history.Com said,"Japan had an army of 2 million strong guarding the home islands guarding against invasion."This shows us that if we didn't drop the bomb we would have had to kill all 2 million of their army to end the war. 2 This also helped end the war Dr. Emilio Serge said,"The president barely had an alternative on the basis of the information available-the probability that the war would go on for a long time- I thought,and still think that the decision was the only on possible. But I'm glad I was not the president. 3 This also showed that we where a military power Eugene P Wibner said,"there was no difference in my attitude concerning the possible use of a nuclear weapon against Germany on one had and against japan in the other". This shows that we are a large military power by showing that we can take on either country Germany or Japan.

• Ms. J - Instructions

If you agree with the decision to drop the bomb type your response in this column. If you think it was a mistake type your response in the no column. Your response must include at least three specific reasons you agree or disagree. You must use evidence from the text to support your opinion.

Posted by: Ms.J
  • Yes definitely yes

Hello my name is Katira I am awesome and everything about me is amazing because I am alway right. So everyone should agree with me when I say that the bomb should have been dropped. I really am never wrong because of how completely fabulous I am! Everyone loves me

• Mattie Robinson -

I believe that dropping the atomic bomb on Japan was wrong. One reason is because under the League of Nations "recognized principles of international law", the bomb was consitered illegal. Another reason is because even President Hoover said "...The killing of women and children, revolts my soul," which should tell the U.S. it was not okay. Also Dr. Eugene Wigner said "I believe that at that time it would be possible to terminate the war without the use of the bomb," which supports the fact that Japan was ready to negosiate the war. These three facts support my thoughts on how the the bomb was unnecessary.

• Whats up doc

Ms. J - Instructions If you agree with the decision to drop the bomb type your response in this column. If you think it was a mistake type your response in the no column. Your response must include at least three specific reasons you agree or disagree. You must use evidence from the text to support your opinion.

• Because that's why

Hello Ms. J - Instructions If you agree with the decision to drop the bomb type your response in this column. If you think it was a mistake type your response in the no column. Your response must include at least three specific reasons you agree or disagree. You must use evidence from the text to support your opinion.